Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Oddometer: 166
Okay- so to ANYONE thinking about replying to this thread, you must understand

1. I am not testing the bike anymore
2. I WAS probably in err because of excitement- we all make mistakes right? I worked on the bike for a month and never once got to ride it just a bit, I suppose i got a little impatient.
3. My MSF course is scheduled- I'm not blowing it off
4. I never once got close to another car. The video i streamed showed me in my least graceful control of all time- the throttle went up at the end because I was holding the front brake. My throttle control did need some work but it would have EVEN WITH the msf course because the bike weighs about 2X more. I would likely have stalled like I did with or without my license.
Reista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
ok, it is a joke. you got me, I totally believed you at first. Carry on.
It isn't a joke. I genuinely don't see what the massive deal is. Youtube does have gnarly videos of 2-bit idiots putting themselves through trees- but that' because they rev WAY too much- I figured I would find the bottom of the rev limit instead of the top. If you're going to be condescending you can leave, I'm not encouraging others to ride without MSF training, I just wanted to comment on my very first experience on my very first bike.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reista View Post
1. I am not testing the bike anymore
Why not? The MSF course is good and all, and I highly recommend it. But, there is nothing wrong with you toying around in 1st gear, and getting used to your bike. Let people cry all they want. It will never end. Once you get a license, someone will be crying about a pic you post wearing a short sleeved shirt, or shoes that don't cover your entire lower leg, and so on.....

As you can tell there are riders and then there are complainers on ADV, fuck 'em both and go have fun.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Why not? The MSF course is good and all, and I highly recommend it. But, there is nothing wrong with you toying around in 1st gear, and getting used to your bike. Let people cry all they want. It will never end. Once you get a license, someone will be crying about a pic you post wearing a short sleeved shirt, or shoes that don't cover your entire lower leg, and so on.....

As you can tell there are riders and then there are complainers on ADV, fuck 'em both and go have fun.
Lol I think safe riding is the best riding, so i do kinda relate to the message, but at the same time I don't think that i was going to kill myself without msf training to ride in my hood XD As for getting used to the bike- that's exactly the point i was trying to make- Dirt bikers here ride all the time without any training, and often in FAR worse conditions. As for gear I'll be bundled, road rash is not my friend, I agree with the phrase 'dress for the crash, not for the ride'

Thanks for the encouragement XD The are a few downers around.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Hey, the only way to learn to ride is to LEARN to RIDE. Any MSF instructor worth his salt will tell you that a new ticket is merely a license to learn. Only an idiot will take a bike into extreme conditions right off, but putting around a parking lot on a 200cc machine for a day certainly doesn't prepare you for all eventualities.

I've read Reista's build thread, and am of the opinion he's pretty level-headed, and likely did some studying. He's an experienced bicyclist, a lot of which does cross over. His GS850 is no race bike. It's a little heavy, but he's a big guy. Overall, he's riding a very mild-mannered bike slowly in controlled conditions. He just spent months restoring the thing, and I'm certain he doesn't want to scuff it. Cut him a break, already. I've seen crap like this drive people away from ADV. None of us started with tens or hundreds of thousands of miles of experience.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oh, yeah: If you think you feel vulnerable on a motorcycle, try commuting in traffic on a bicycle. Reista's been doing that. I assume his threat radar is in pretty good tune.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
being a mtn bike commuter did more for me than dirt biking experience getting me ready for a road bike. I second that statement canuman....
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
It isn't a joke. I genuinely don't see what the massive deal is. Youtube does have gnarly videos of 2-bit idiots putting themselves through trees- but that' because they rev WAY too much- I figured I would find the bottom of the rev limit instead of the top. If you're going to be condescending you can leave, I'm not encouraging others to ride without MSF training, I just wanted to comment on my very first experience on my very first bike.
it is because they lose control. gas, clutch, rear brake, front brake, shift...it is not as easy as it seems and just to ride around safely with NO vehicles on the road is a very complex thing to do for a first time rider. See the millions of youtube videos, they are not trying to race, they are just trying to get that bike to move.

And I am not being condescending and I can't leave, I been here too long. If you are going to be blinded by excitement, maybe you should sell the bike. It might save your life. No joke, that bike you have will rocket to 100MPH in less then 10 seconds and once you get to second gear it is too easy and too fast to click a couple of more gears and before YOU know it, it will be doing 100MPH.

I have been riding for about 40 years. I had my first bike at one time also and if that was sone of the first bikes I owned, I would probably not be here.

People on this site (and all MC sites) crash all the time and some do 50K miles a year.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
it is because they lose control. gas, clutch, rear brake, front brake, shift...it is not as easy as it seems and just to ride around safely with NO vehicles on the road is a very complex thing to do for a first time rider. See the millions of youtube videos, they are not trying to race, they are just trying to get that bike to move.

And I am not being condescending and I can't leave, I been here too long. If you are going to be blinded by excitement, maybe you should sell the bike. It might save your life. No joke, that bike you have will rocket to 100MPH in less then 10 seconds and once you get to second gear it is too easy and too fast to click a couple of more gears and before YOU know it, it will be doing 100MPH.

I have been riding for about 40 years. I had my first bike at one time also and if that was sone of the first bikes I owned, I would probably not be here.

People on this site (and all MC sites) crash all the time and some do 50K miles a year.
I read your 'is this a joke' statements as very condescending. Perhaps I am wrong. As for the majority of viedoes i see people hitting high ass revs and letting go of the clutch- Was I doing that? Obviously not as seen by my stalls. I NEVER said motorcycles were easy- I treat them with a lot of respect and that will continue to be so, Also I never left first in the first place- and the bike doesn't take off in first after 10mph speeds. I respect your concern but I think it is misplaced. I know how to take care of myself and If I DO end up dying in some horrific accident, you can be the first to say 'i told you so'. As for your empty road comments, I've done it for quite a while now with no problems other than leaving my signal on a few times (something I don't have on my bicycle so It's also totally new but not as catching as throttle and clutch control)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
No joke, that bike you have will rocket to 100MPH in less then 10 seconds and once you get to second gear it is too easy and too fast to click a couple of more gears and before YOU know it, it will be doing 100MPH.
Can you come over and tune my '79 up? It's a bit laggard. I'd like to get those numbers out of it. . .
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
I read your 'is this a joke' statements as very condescending. Perhaps I am wrong. As for the majority of viedoes i see people hitting high ass revs and letting go of the clutch- Was I doing that? Obviously not as seen by my stalls. I NEVER said motorcycles were easy- I treat them with a lot of respect and that will continue to be so, Also I never left first in the first place- and the bike doesn't take off in first after 10mph speeds. I respect your concern but I think it is misplaced. I know how to take care of myself and If I DO end up dying in some horrific accident, you can be the first to say 'i told you so'. As for your empty road comments, I've done it for quite a while now with no problems other than leaving my signal on a few times (something I don't have on my bicycle so It's also totally new but not as catching as throttle and clutch control)
ok. have fun be careful.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Can you come over and tune my '79 up? It's a bit laggard. I'd like to get those numbers out of it. . .
right? lol thanks for the friendly and jovial support Canuman- If I'm ever up north in the summer i'll snag you for a favorite beverage of your choice XD (Also, tach cable should be in the mailbox tonight. I'll be freezing my nads off to install ot and give the thread an update.

Quote:
ok. have fun be careful.
Thanks =] And I will be, no worries.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,406
Cool

Congratulations. The best ride of my life was a 100 mile night ride on my new, off the showroom floor 68 Trail 90 at 20 mph to break it in. It was my second time on a bike. Before I rolled off the lot the shop owner gave me his best advice that has served me well. "Reminder, son, you are invisible. Even if someone is looking right at you... you are invisible.

There are always those quick to tell you first what you're doing wrong. Ignore them all, pay attention to those who first tell you how they think it should be done right.

Wisdom comes with doing, and your caution at the start says you are doing it right.

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #29
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
right? lol thanks for the friendly and jovial support Canuman- If I'm ever up north in the summer i'll snag you for a favorite beverage of your choice XD (Also, tach cable should be in the mailbox tonight. I'll be freezing my nads off to install ot and give the thread an update.
You wanna see some nads freezing? Stop by Ice Station Zebra tonight! Christ, who turned off the heat? Those damned Canucks are sending us their used weather again. . .

You're welcome any time at the Palace of the People. Plenty of room, lack of poisonous snakes, and about a cord and a half of wood down by the tent site that needs some brews and BS to keep it company! We can cover up them damn Reb plates so'z you don't get lynched by the locals.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaYolk View Post
Congratulations. The best ride of my life was a 100 mile night ride on my new, off the showroom floor 68 Trail 90 at 20 mph to break it in. It was my second time on a bike. Before I rolled off the lot the shop owner gave me his best advice that has served me well. "Reminder, son, you are invisible. Even if someone is looking right at you... you are invisible.

There are always those quick to tell you first what you're doing wrong. Ignore them all, pay attention to those who first tell you how they think it should be done right.

Wisdom comes with doing, and your caution at the start says you are doing it right.
Thanks for the wise words, I walked into motorcycleing knowing i would be invisible. Trust me, it's worse on a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
You wanna see some nads freezing? Stop by Ice Station Zebra tonight! Christ, who turned off the heat? Those damned Canucks are sending us their used weather again. . .

You're welcome any time at the Palace of the People. Plenty of room, lack of poisonous snakes, and about a cord and a half of wood down by the tent site that needs some brews and BS to keep it company! We can cover up them damn Reb plates so'z you don't get lynched by the locals.
I would like to see them try! I'm not a proud texan but if i get to stir up a storm for fun then I'll put my theatre degree to use and be a good ol' boy from the south lol and thanks for the welcome, It'll likely be used. As for freezing, I usually wear the same clothes regardless of temperature so while it hit 25F I was still in shorts and t-shirt and slippers taking my exhaust apart. RIDING however is another story. Wind will chill me to the bone in no time.