Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reista View Post
I would like to see them try! I'm not a proud texan but if i get to stir up a storm for fun then I'll put my theatre degree to use and be a good ol' boy from the south lol and thanks for the welcome, It'll likely be used. As for freezing, I usually wear the same clothes regardless of temperature so while it hit 25F I was still in shorts and t-shirt and slippers taking my exhaust apart. RIDING however is another story. Wind will chill me to the bone in no time.
No worries: Vermont is the only state where you can marry your own cow and not be looked at as odd, even if you are a theatre person.

Look into Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and pants when you're researching gear. I've worn mine pretty comfortably from 15 to 95 degrees, and they are very waterproof. Higher than that, mesh is the answer. Lower than that, pour hot coffee down your pants.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,846
This might sound strange - but you might try riding pillion for a bit. I started MC riding when I was 16 years old - because after riding pillion while touring and paying attention to what the rider was doing, I picked up all the motions. Of course, I already knew how to drive a standard. I think that helps. Then I started thinking, "I can do that." And I got very itchy to ride on my own. By age 18 I owned my own MC.

While on the back if you really pay attention - you start noticing all the subtle as well as not-so-subtle parts of riding....just a suggestion.

Good luck!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
This might sound strange - but you might try riding pillion for a bit. I started MC riding when I was 16 years old - because after riding pillion while touring and paying attention to what the rider was doing, I picked up all the motions. Of course, I already knew how to drive a standard. I think that helps. Then I started thinking, "I can do that." And I got very itchy to ride on my own. By age 18 I owned my own MC.

While on the back if you really pay attention - you start noticing all the subtle as well as not-so-subtle parts of riding....just a suggestion.

Good luck!
Oooooh, I dibs the big ol' Texas boy as my bitch!

Actually, it's not all that far-fetched a suggestion. Many of the better riding schools put the instructor on pillion. Kinda hard to get around mentally unless you're pretty secure in your issues.

Canuman screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 06:26 PM
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #34
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post

Actually, it's not all that far-fetched a suggestion. Many of the better riding schools put the instructor on pillion. Kinda hard to get around mentally unless you're pretty secure in your issues.
I knew someone was gonna' say that.

And yes, whether the rider or pillion - while there are 2 on a bike - somebody is watching.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #35
blockpass270
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
wow

Tough company here... messageboard full of Valentino, Casey, Nicky and Ben's!

You're having fun, learning at a conservative pace... enjoy!

Keep the vid's coming and enjoy having an engine on your bike.

05 R1200GS, 13 150XC, 10 FE450
blockpass270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Oddometer: 166
Quote:

I have no problem riding pillion or 'bitch' lol but i would be the first in my social circle to have a motorcycle- makes it kinda hard when i have to go out and ask someone to let me ride bitch who i don't know XD as far as dibs, By the time i go your way i won't be riding anyone's bike but my own unless it's dire circumstances and if you sabotage my bike to get that achievement and I catch wind, there will be hell to pay- I'll bring you down here, that's bad enough for someone with nature-given air conditioning XD

Quote:

Good luck!
I also plan on reading twist of the wrist once i grab it. I hear it really improves your skills

Track days are another thing i'm looking into for when i'm better. I've been told it gives days of experience in hours
Reista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Here's the way I see it. I am not a motorcycle instructor yet, but I have done training and teaching in a broad number of risk- based disciplines, from rafting to ice climbing to white-water.

We can break students into three broad, and not complete classifications:

1. Those averse to risk. This is a difficult class to teach, as they never properly stretch the envelope. While they are entirely safe within their limits, their innate caution never leads them to conditions where they are at risk. A little rain stops them. They cannot put themselves into conditions that they may not get out of. This is why many bikes can be found that are over twenty years old and have only been ridden 500 miles a year. It takes some risk to make a competent rider/paddler/skier or whatever.

2. He Man Gods (Or Women With Large Ovaries.) I just get out of their way. It's always beautiful to watch natural ability at work. It's also safer to get out of their path, because they WILL trash you while saving their latest huck. Stand clear.

3. People who want to live and are searching for a heart of Gold. They understand that sometimes you have to push it, and other times, it's best to back off. These are the people that learn with big eyes, and become riders.

Yes, you can get killed on a bike. You can also get killed a variety of less interesting ways. We were blessed with intelligence which allows us this choice. I'm not ordering Microsoft Motorcycle Simulator any time soon.

Sorry for the hijack
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Here's the way I see it. I am not a motorcycle instructor yet, but I have done training and teaching in a broad number of risk- based disciplines, from rafting to ice climbing to white-water.

We can break students into three broad, and not complete classifications:

1. Those averse to risk. This is a difficult class to teach, as they never properly stretch the envelope. While they are entirely safe within their limits, their innate caution never leads them to conditions where they are at risk. A little rain stops them. They cannot put themselves into conditions that they may not get out of. This is why many bikes can be found that are over twenty years old and have only been ridden 500 miles a year. It takes some risk to make a competent rider/paddler/skier or whatever.

2. He Man Gods (Or Women With Large Ovaries.) I just get out of their way. It's always beautiful to watch natural ability at work. It's also safer to get out of their path, because they WILL trash you while saving their latest huck. Stand clear.

3. People who want to live and are searching for a heart of Gold. They understand that sometimes you have to push it, and other times, it's best to back off. These are the people that learn with big eyes, and become riders.

Yes, you can get killed on a bike. You can also get killed a variety of less interesting ways. We were blessed with intelligence which allows us this choice. I'm not ordering Microsoft Motorcycle Simulator any time soon.

Sorry for the hijack
No problem! It's relevant anyways. I think I fit in the 3rd (Idk if im searching for a heart of gold though XD) Probably definitely not the second. As for the danger, It is part of life- I won't run from it really, but i also wont run to it either. Also, motorcycle sim? You've got to be KIDDING me! I did the whole arcade thing for a while and was competeing for first place in motorcycle sims and Initial D games at the #2 mall in the city and the sim has NO real bearing on actual riding. Initial D does a pretty good job for cars though ^^
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
By the time i go your way i won't be riding anyone's bike but my own unless it's dire circumstances and if you sabotage my bike to get that achievement and I catch wind, there will be hell to pay- I'll bring you down here, that's bad enough for someone with nature-given air conditioning
Whoa, what's with the negative waves? I wouldn't touch another's rider's bike except to make it better, if I could. Gave you an invite to stop along your way should you pass and offered you hospitality. Cool off, friend. It was all from the heart, and nothing asked in return.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
Whoa, what's with the negative waves? I wouldn't touch another's rider's bike except to make it better, if I could. Gave you an invite to stop along your way should you pass and offered you hospitality. Cool off, friend. It was all from the heart, and nothing asked in return.
whoa whoa whoa! Hold on- I think the medium of text has dropped what I was really trying to say. I have a bad habit of streaming my thoughts onto the keyboard and sometimes I don't stop to think if the reader will understand- I was playing around lol I consider you a friend so far, and don't see that changing anytime soon, I didn't mean for you to think I was suddenly negative (Also, as a theatre person- sometimes I switch into personas, that can also be VERY confusing when compounded with the streaming consciousness) Anyway- No negativity here! I appreciate your offer a lot, and would not spit on it with being a dick right after hospitality was given.

I.e. You'll see 'XD' and 'lol's in there as well- I often use those be be conveying a sense of upbeat attitude. If I was angry, well... I probably would just leave for a while until I was cool again lol I'm not one to be angry, I find that it ruins everyone's day. That being said, I'll take more care- Once my posts spread like the plague on the forums you may get a taste of the narrative I use which isn't very normal. OR I can switch to formal mode and be boring as f*k, but noone wants that!

Reista screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 09:13 PM
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #41
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa! Hold on- I think the medium of text has dropped what I was really trying to say. I have a bad habit of streaming my thoughts onto the keyboard and sometimes I don't stop to think if the reader will understand- I was playing around lol I consider you a friend so far, and don't see that changing anytime soon, I didn't mean for you to think I was suddenly negative (Also, as a theatre person- sometimes I switch into personas, that can also be VERY confusing when compounded with the streaming consciousness) Anyway- No negativity here! I appreciate your offer a lot, and would not spit on it with being a dick right after hospitality was given.

I.e. You'll see 'XD' and 'lol's in there as well- I often use those be be conveying a sense of upbeat attitude. If I was angry, well... I probably would just leave for a while until I was cool again lol I'm not one to be angry, I find that it ruins everyone's day. That being said, I'll take more care- Once my posts spread like the plague on the forums you may get a taste of the narrative I use which isn't very normal. OR I can switch to formal mode and be boring as f*k, but noone wants that!
Got it. My buddy Joey the Cardinal is the worst type of theatre person: an opera singer. He works days in finance, because while very good, he ain't no Pavarotti.

"Joe, are you ever worried about getting slapped for sexual harassment?" "Not really. How would they be able to distinguish it from the way I act all the time?"
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #42
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Quote:

I saw some negativity bordering on threats in there, too - and wondered, WTH?

You're a theater person? I really relished in that in younger days....a whole lot of fun, and I miss it. You get to be someone you'd never be - without any real consequences. Be sure you keep your "personas" and your own personality separate. I know it can be difficult. If you like the persona it tends to rub off on you. But in real life - there are consequences, gol' darn it.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #43
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
The other best advice given to me as a new rider. (by a preacher who sold it to me)

If you go down on the bike, get on top of it and ride it, don't let the SOB ride you!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #44
Reista OP
Tech turned Mech

Quote:
I saw some negativity bordering on threats in there, too - and wondered, WTH?

You're a theater person? I really relished in that in younger days....a whole lot of fun, and I miss it. You get to be someone you'd never be - without any real consequences. Be sure you keep your "personas" and your own personality separate. I know it can be difficult. If you like the persona it tends to rub off on you. But in real life - there are consequences, gol' darn it.
If you or Canuman were able to hear how it went on in my head or how I would have said it there would have been no confusion. I would have gone from better than average diction to terrible slurs and draws of a texas outlaw XD Hense the threatening part of texas heat. As far as keeping them separate, That's easy! I don't have MPD lol I just like to color my conversations a bit too much XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
The other best advice given to me as a new rider. (by a preacher who sold it to me)

If you go down on the bike, get on top of it and ride it, don't let the SOB ride you!!!
BUT you are supposed to stick with the bike! Unless heading toward a ditch (VERY bad situation then. distance yourself!) because the bike will eat the impact if you have one AND slow you down a lot more than you by yourself
Cheers for the advice
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I think the reason some on this thread are giving you a hard time is because they have forgotten what it was like to learn to ride and most of them have been riding since they were kids. I have been riding since about 8 years old, 39 now, Started on dirt bikes, which as far as I am concerned is the best way to start. Less speed and easier crashes. I really just started road riding aobut 5 years ago, have never taken a msf course, and never will.

It has to be a whole different experience trying to learn as an adult, when you are in touch with your mortality. As a kid you dont really think about getting hurt. You did pick a pretty big bike to learn on but just keep it under control and you will be fine.

It is great to see someone so pasionate about riding, just what we need. Ignore the naysayers and be carefull. If you can find a cheap 250 dual sport that would be the way to go for a learner bike.

dirtrulz screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 11:01 AM
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote