ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #61
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post

Pirelli MT43 rear
Pirelli XCMH front

PMing you...
This is a good setup or a Kenda Trakmaster if you want a knobby on the back.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #62
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
This is a good setup or a Kenda Trakmaster if you want a knobby on the back.
Agreed the Michelin t63 does a pretty good job as a 50/50 tire. It wears well on pavement.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #63
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
Agreed the Michelin t63 does a pretty good job as a 50/50 tire. It wears well on pavement.
How's it do in the snow?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
I already have a plate on my Berg and yesterday got a plate for my trials bike. I made sure that I had the Idaho plate with me when I went in and I was given a WA edition with no questions.

So here's a question. Last fall I got pinged by one of the enforcement agencies in the middle of nowhere for not having my bike registered. Since I had never even titled it after two years of bringing it in, I was able to be a dirtbag and say I had just bought it the previous weekend from ID and still had 15 days to transfer the title. As the bike had never been registered in WA, he wasn't able contradict my story since it wasn't in the WA system and let me go with a promise to get it done. It was a little while but I did do it.

Anyway, we were talking and he said he could make a higher ticket out of someone riding down a USFS road on a street-plated bike with deficient equipment than someone riding an ORV-tagged bike. I've always thought that the opposite was true - it's better to be on a plated bike no matter the equipment and deal with fix-it tickets rather than a moving violation. I stuck with that when I had my trials bike plated, but I wonder what is true here? I know any cop can get a bug up his butt and go crazy, but what would be the rational LEO's route on the two situations when judged equally?
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #65
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
Watching this thread with interest. Anyone know of an Eastern WA dealership that is doing the inspection?

(And by eastern WA I mean Spokane, not Issaquah)
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post
Anyway, we were talking and he said he could make a higher ticket out of someone riding down a USFS road on a street-plated bike with deficient equipment than someone riding an ORV-tagged bike. I've always thought that the opposite was true - it's better to be on a plated bike no matter the equipment and deal with fix-it tickets rather than a moving violation. I stuck with that when I had my trials bike plated, but I wonder what is true here? I know any cop can get a bug up his butt and go crazy, but what would be the rational LEO's route on the two situations when judged equally?
Interesting. I'd heard that on a public road, they can impound your bike if it doesn't have a plate, but you'd just get fix-it tickets for deficient equipment. I assumed the same would apply to FS roads, where you're still required to have a plate, right? I'd like to know what's true here too.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #67
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post
I already have a plate on my Berg and yesterday got a plate for my trials bike. I made sure that I had the Idaho plate with me when I went in and I was given a WA edition with no questions.
Do you have any street equipment, lights, horn, etc. on your trials bike?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #68
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Do you have any street equipment, lights, horn, etc. on your trials bike?
It's got a headlight and tail light. No horn. No mirror but I've got one of those old Dual Star bar mirrors around here somewhere. The switchgear is turn signal/horn capable as trials bikes are street-legal in Europe and are often ridden between courses over the duration of a trial. It has a factory speedo too.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #69
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
How's it do in the snow?
After much debating on buying DS tires for the first time, I went with the MT21 front and T63 rear. After about 500 miles on the combo and I'm happy with the performance. Got me through the snow and up to Split Rock alright. In fact, a gate was open at Walker Valley last weekend and I went fire roading in the snow again. With a soft (wet but not hard-packed) snow darn near 6-7" deep and the bike just kept on going. Thought I had a snomobike.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #70
mb33
n00b

Oddometer: 3
plated two stroke

Coyote Offroad was able to inspect and plate a 2006 xc-w two stroke on the 9th.
mb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #71
Fast_Ed
Fast_Ed

Oddometer: 2
I was able to get my 1989 XR250R plated without the use of this new law. If your bike meets several criteria, you can get it plated without a costly inspection or pesky law enforcement officials breathing down your neck.

1. Check your VIN, if the 8th digit is a Zero you have passed the first hurdle
2. Check the steering neck of your bike, if there is no stamp stating "For off road use only" you have passed the second hurdle
3. Check your title and look for the same nomenclature there, if it isn't existent. You are golden!
Just pop into your local DOL and say you would like to get a dual registration for your bike, and the nice people behind the counter should be more than happy to help you out. They might have to call Olympia, but if you are pleasant and persistent, things should go no problem.

I would include a photo, but since I am new to this forum, I don't know how. Good Luck!
Fast_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #72
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Ed View Post
I would include a photo, but since I am new to this forum, I don't know how. Good Luck!
It's easy, open up AdvRider, go to the thread where you want to post your picture, make a new post, then tape the picture you want to share to the computer screen and hit the "print screen" button.

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #73
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
It's easy, open up AdvRider, go to the thread where you want to post your picture, make a new post, then tape the picture you want to share to the computer screen and hit the "print screen" button.

VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #74
Thrasherg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
So has anyone successfully used this new law? I just bought a CRF450X and am in the process of fitting mirrors, indicators, lights and a brake light (plus speedo) and will try to get it registered.. Need to find a shop that will do the inspection in the Seattle (well Maple valley, south east of Seattle) area..

Thought I would also try the Dual Registration mentioned above!! Hopefully one of these approaches will work.

Gary
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #75
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
It's not that bad to deal with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
So has anyone successfully used this new law? I just bought a CRF450X and am in the process of fitting mirrors, indicators, lights and a brake light (plus speedo) and will try to get it registered.. Need to find a shop that will do the inspection in the Seattle (well Maple valley, south east of Seattle) area..

Thought I would also try the Dual Registration mentioned above!! Hopefully one of these approaches will work.

Gary

My Yamaha WR is very similar to your Honda. I installed a Tusk dual sport kit with harness from Rocky MOuntain ATV, It was under $200 including a second mirror (not included in the kit). I fabricated a rear mud flap, and bought some yellow reflectors for the forks at AutoZOne, and red reflectors for the rear. Then booked an apointment at Lynwood Moto Plex. $58 for the inspection, then took that plus my title to a DOL agent. New plate cost was $80.
I did opt to replace my rear fender with a MX style fender so I could mount the rear light and plate honder under the fender, but I think you could make the stock fender work. Let me know if you have any question.

redbastard screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 05:33 AM
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote