Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
CharlieT OP
old school

Oddometer: 1,478
g step was getting out the old credit card and start shopping for more bits and pieces. Can't just go to one of the big online accessories sites and just start ordering away nor can you get on eBay or stop by the local Honda dealer. Some of the "suppliers I already new about from previous dealings.

FOr pipes, I went to Jemco out of Houston Tx. He had built a couple of custom pipes for us for our 4/ superkarts. We used an online pic of an RC to guesstimate the pipe diameter/length, using the 18in rim as the reference measurement. With that and the displacement & rpm range, they made me up four reverse cone megaphones.

No silencers or baffles, of course.

and of course, I had to stick them on as soon as I got them to see how they would eventually look

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
CharlieT OP
old school

The next item to track down turned out to be the most expensive single item for the build. The fairing. There are places that build similar appearing fairings, such as AirTech, but I wanted as close to the real thing as I could get. I had gotten pretty got at compiling an file of RC related websites. On one I found exactly what I was looking for. Team Hansen out of Chicago had access to someone with a mold made from an original fairing off of one of Mike Hailwood's bike. It took a bit of time and I had to drive to ChiTown to get it, but it was well worth it. Don't get no better than a piece made from basically a factory mold!

Now all I had to do was make mounts for it, fabricate the metal pieces, paint it, etc.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,062
Soooo cooool!!.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
great thread

I know too few appropriate words of appreciation for this thread .
Best,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
CharlieT OP
old school

Hey NWrider....thought you might get a kick out of another hack project:

Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
CharlieT OP
old school

After the fairing the next big ticket was the tank. Found some nice metal ones very close to the original, but they were in the $800-1000 range. So I went with a much more reasonable option in glass. Close to the original in appearance. Got it from Airtech. Had nver gotten anything from them befoer and I was very impressed with their quality.

I also was going to need a seat of course. For that I went to a company down in Florida that I had bought other seats for, Hotwingsglass. Very good quality and very reasonable prices.

So here's a mock up with lots more things in place:

Seat and tanke set in place, front of fairing mount in progress, clip-ons on, and rear-sets in rough position. Wasn't easy finding the clip-ons for the darn 33mm forks. Lots of 32-34-35mm ones out there. As for the rear-sets, boy are folks proud of those things and price them accordingly. Found a set on eBay that were reasonable, but forgive me Pappa Honda, they are from a GSXR!!

Speaking of rear-sets, had thought about welding on a couple of tabs and mounting a flat plate. However in looking at pics online and in my collection of coffee table books, I noted that on the factory bikes, they were all mounted on tubular mounts, either one piece curved or two-piece with the ends flattened and welded together. SO it was off to the scrap heap. THere I found a set of rear passenger peg mounts from a CB750 that we had cut off when we turned it into a street tracker. Just held them in position where I wanted the rear-sets, marked the length needed on each tube and then cut them off and welded them in place.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
CharlieT OP
old school

BTW in the pic of the bike above,

You will notice a tube running from the steering head down along the edge of the tank.

THis is a pic of the tubes just after they were installed. Was one of the more difficult items to find on the original bikes. The majority of pics of the RC GP bikes were action shots taken during races, not the best for finding details in the bike. Even stationary pictures typically had the fairings in place. Fortunately I came across a couple of pics taken of one of the bikes in the pits with the fairing and tank off. The tube is an apparently serving two purposes, as a frame stiffener and also a rest for the outer edge of the tank. SO it was off to the tubing bender.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Next up was an evening in the man cave polishing the old tubes. Looking at pics of the RC's showed most had black lowers. So it was clean sand and a few rattle can coats of gloss black.

gold wing timing belt covers?

great build
Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,842
I had a 70s CB500/4 with 4 open megs when in my "street hotrod" days.
The look of shock on peoples faces when you went by was a sight to behold, and the yellow methanol fog at the lights was amusing when you were next to one of the "beautiful people" at the lights in their soft top.......
Just love the sound, makes your hair stand on end.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
CharlieT OP
old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
gold wing timing belt covers?

great build
Good eye there! Yup Goldwing covers and floor boards from another bike we built.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
CharlieT OP
old school

Getting closer and closer to the end. Finished up bending the tubing and making the front fairing mount. Originally had tried mounting the tach off the top of the triple tree, but it didn't look right, SO bent a couple of pieces of tubing and welded up a mount that put the tach in a better position, both in terms of function and looks.

Fairing mounted, metal work for the fairing done, pipe brackets and hangers done. Finally found a front fender. Found it, surprisingly, at a motorcycle "swap meet' at the local hockey rink. You know, one of those traveling swapmeets, where admission is $10, $15 if you are not wearing black leather and there are more pieces of black leather in various shapes and styles to cover, or leave uncovered various areas of the human anatomy than there are motorcycle parts!! Where 90% of the actually bikes/bike parts are for older American V-twins.

Well there between a row of leather thongs and ass-less chaps was a row of fenders. A few looked ot be close in width and curvature. The guy only wanted $20 for one, so I walked away with an unknown vintage front fender from a Harley Sportster!!!! Ended up to be a near perfect fit!!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
CharlieT OP
old school

One of the last things was wiring. As there were no lights, just did away with the factory wiring harness for the most part and made one to fit my needs.

Therear of the frame behind the shock mounts was cut off. A piece of tubing was bent and angled so that it would fit just inside the tail of the seat and be at roughly the same angle as the bottom edge of the tail. A piece of flat stock was welded in place between the loop to provide a hidden location for the battery and electronics. Another piece of flat stock was bent to give it the right height to serve as the brace/mount for the seat.

The only other electronics were an on/off switch and a push-button for the starter.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #28
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,985
Sweet bike Mr T. I still can't believe I bought a 360 twin in 76 instead of the four. I'll have to get down to your man cave one of these days.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Nice build.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,470
great read, you make it sound oh so simple.

inspiring me to get off my arse to finish my cafe racer cd250 my self. although it is 430am in the morning after a long long night shift right now..
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote