Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,347
I dunno you guys crack me up. You piss and moan about the price of gas in one thread and then bemoan a sports care with ONLY 200 HP.

My old man's 911S has less than that - it's much fun. My Fiat 124 Sport Spyder was an absolute gas...with 91 HP, and that was at sea level, I live at 8,000' MSL.

I guess what we want is a car that seats two to 12, goes 0 to 100 in 3.67 seconds, with a top speed in excess of 225 mph, that gets an average of 65 mpg. And, can tow a 25,000 lb travel trailer/toy hauler.

And is the size of a Suburban/Blue Bird 66 pax. bus.

AND you want it to fly?

LOL.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I dunno you guys crack me up. You piss and moan about the price of gas in one thread and then bemoan a sports care with ONLY 200 HP.

My old man's 911S has less than that - it's much fun. My Fiat 124 Sport Spyder was an absolute gas...with 91 HP, and that was at sea level, I live at 8,000' MSL.

I guess what we want is a car that seats two to 12, goes 0 to 100 in 3.67 seconds, with a top speed in excess of 225 mph, that gets an average of 65 mpg. And, can tow a 25,000 lb travel trailer/toy hauler.

AND you want it to fly?

LOL.
We want it all no matter how absurd the expectations.

Thanks,
America
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #33
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,052
Quote:

AND you want it to fly?

LOL.
Plus it should have 3" of ground clearance, adjustable up to 3' of suspension travel, be able to handle Nürburgring, rock crawling, and soft sand with nothing more than (automatic) ride height changes, and it needs to fit in the space of a Smart when parked.

Dangit. 205'd in a more concise manner by A-Bone.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,398
Quote:

AND you want it to fly?

LOL.

I appreciate your point.. and I think many people would actually agree with you once they felt was 200HP feels like delivered in a sporty car...

The most enjoyable bike I've ever had was one of the least powerful.. a R100GS... you just had to row the gears more to get it to perform... it never felt like I was abusing it.. so it actually made for a more engaging ride... An in-fact one of the least enjoyable bikes I ever had was the most powerful.. a K12GT... just sooooo much power you were either going waaaaaay too fast for the road conditions or you were barely in the throttle (NH roads are small, chopped up with frost heaves and rarely in good condition)

Absurdly powerful cars are kind of the same thing.. What the hell do you need 500hp for, really?? The problem is there is just so much power that all but the highly experienced will find themselves going all together too fast all together too fast...

I'm sure it's fun and all for on-ramp holeshots.. but the HP wars are just getting silly at this point...
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Just read a comparison between the BRZ and the Miata. Apparently they have very similar output 2.0L engines. The BRZ has stiffer suspension so better handling in the twisties vs the Miata's better pothole handling. Otherwise, the BRZ has more storage space, better traction control, and quieter ride on the highway so it "won" the contest. Sounded like both are fun rides.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Many years ago. The 2.4 Hyundai engine (4GCS?) was the same as the 4G64 Mitsu engine. Most of hte parts are interchangeable. Chrysler did it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Hyundai did license the Mitsu four-cyl engine design at some point.....I recall it being mentioned in those first road tests of the Genesis 2.0T.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #37
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
I really like it. The sister car (the Scion FRS) doesn't look quite as cool as the Subie, but will will be made in greater numbers and for all intents and purposes is the same car. I think I may have to get a test drive. Been thinking about replacing my '91 Miata for a long time, but nothing small enough with RWD has been around.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,726
And they are gonna come kick your butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Chicks with armpit hair have their own sports car now!
tjoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,984
Quote:

AND you want it to fly?

LOL.
Have you been talking to my Sister? That's exactly what she wants!

I like the BRZ/FR-S/GT-86 for what it is. We often get too caught up in numbers and forget about driving.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
mick
speedtrippy

Oddometer: 3,744
Current owner of a WRX. The BRZ looks better, but as said earlier, only 200bhp.

"People don't understand what I'm doing. But it's not for the lack of me telling them about it".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #41
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Still pretty quick 0-60 times.

Is this the first rear wheel drive suby made?

Was reading a car & driver review that said suby stated with the engine
placed mid front like it is there is no room for a turbo or AWD system.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Just saw one of these today - WAY smaller than I had imagined, and looks really cool. The one I saw was black and had a large purse in the passenger seat.

I'd like to do a test drive.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
Just saw one of these today - WAY smaller than I had imagined, and looks really cool. The one I saw was black and had a large purse in the passenger seat.

I'd like to do a test drive.
Here's a comparison chart that was made a while back.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #44
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
I want to like the BRZ, I really do.

But for the price, I think I'd buy a used, low mileage Z4 Coupe and call it a day.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #45
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
200 hp is enough for a car of this size and weight.

The Lotus elise is the best example.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: