Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #76
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,032
Also, according to some car rag gossip I read a few weeks ago, Suby is selling the more "upscale" version of the car. The Scion version (the FR-S) will be sold in much greater numbers at a lower cost. Subura did agree to produce the BRZ with the condition that theirs was the "special" one.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #77
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,774
The BRZ looks really attractive, but I too am looking into alternatives. The Mustang didn't rev my jets really, too big and bulky. No other pony cars are even in contention.

How about the Genesis Coupe? I sat in one that was already sold at the dealer's showroom, it seems like a really, really nice car and likely more useful for everyday use than the tiny BRZ. I may consider a Passat narrow-angle V6, but lets face it, thats a pretty staid FWD sedan in comaprison to these other cars. Any thoughts on the Genesis?
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #78
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
The BRZ looks really attractive, but I too am looking into alternatives. The Mustang didn't rev my jets really, too big and bulky. No other pony cars are even in contention.

How about the Genesis Coupe? I sat in one that was already sold at the dealer's showroom, it seems like a really, really nice car and likely more useful for everyday use than the tiny BRZ. I may consider a Passat narrow-angle V6, but lets face it, thats a pretty staid FWD sedan in comaprison to these other cars. Any thoughts on the Genesis?
The genesis is nice. Heavy, but nice, and I would expect the brz to handle way better.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #79
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:

Sounds like you are looking for something along the same lines that I am. I would buy the Genesis pretty quickly, especially now that the trans and some of the handling issues have been addressed. However, a sports car it is not. It's more of a grand touring machine, just like the Mustang. In fact, they are nearly the same size physically. If you think the Mustang is too big and bulky, the Genesis isn't really any better unless it feels better to you.

Eventually I decided I like small cars more and crossed the Genesis off my list.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #80
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Sounds like you are looking for something along the same lines that I am. I would buy the Genesis pretty quickly, especially now that the trans and some of the handling issues have been addressed. However, a sports car it is not. It's more of a grand touring machine, just like the Mustang. In fact, they are nearly the same size physically. If you think the Mustang is too big and bulky, the Genesis isn't really any better unless it feels better to you.

Eventually I decided I like small cars more and crossed the Genesis off my list.
I am really fortunate in that our company policy lets me buy any new car (never titled, so demos qualify...) for $28,500 (and not one penny more ) every four years. I am due in January. There are a lot of cool cars out there, but of course with an offer like this you want to get as much car as you can get:

Genesis
Passat V6
BRZ
Mustang 6 or 8
Chrysler 300 (V6 has 300 bhp, V8 is just out of reach, for now), 8 Speed Auto (weird, I know.)

Auto is necessary (I've destroyed my left leg permanently) so WRXs are out, along with some other tantalizing cars (GTI R-thingy)

Others to consider?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #81
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
I was in Torrance right around the corner from the Toyota/Scion HQ and there was an FRS running around.
I stopped and have to have a look.

The guy with the car, a well spoken Japanese male who had all the hallmarks of a Japanese engineer,
Stylish dress, but a pocket protector... (I worked with these guys for a long time)

Gave me the low down about both cars.

Subbies engine re-engineered by Toyota. Light flywheel quick reving, rear wheel drive.
The engine bay is pretty spacious with strut tower cross bracing already in place.

The car is a 2x2 seating with a fold down rear seat. the rear portion is big enough when folded down to hold 4 wheels with tires, tool box and helmet. (much better then the industry standard of two golf bags...)

The Scion is the lower spec cheaper car, the Subby is higher spec with a nicer interior and has slightly different suspension tuning designed for more for "at the edge driving"

MPG is in the low 30s

Looking at a car in person is so much better then looking at one in a car show or on the web.
It's decent looking car, that borrows some styling cues from BMW's Z coupes

Here's hoping this car replaces the Miata as the small Japanese sports car of choice.

I'm thinking there's a strong chance it will my next commuter/fun car. (Replacing my Civic and my S2000)
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #82
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,917
Quote:
I am really fortunate in that our company policy lets me buy any new car (never titled, so demos qualify...) for $28,500 (and not one penny more ) every four years. I am due in January. There are a lot of cool cars out there, but of course with an offer like this you want to get as much car as you can get:

Genesis
Passat V6
BRZ
Mustang 6 or 8
Chrysler 300 (V6 has 300 bhp, V8 is just out of reach, for now), 8 Speed Auto (weird, I know.)

Auto is necessary (I've destroyed my left leg permanently) so WRXs are out, along with some other tantalizing cars (GTI R-thingy)

Others to consider?
Why would you go for the 300 over the Charger? It will have a less sporty ride/handling characteristics.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/charger/sxt/index.html

It's 28,495 so the perfect price!

The R/T is only 30k and I am 95% sure you could get one in at your budget.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #83
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Why would you go for the 300 over the Charger? It will have a less sporty ride/handling characteristics.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/charger/sxt/index.html

It's 28,495 so the perfect price!

The R/T is only 30k and I am 95% sure you could get one in at your budget.
I hadn't considered one 'cause it seemed like a 300 in kid clothes. The link was helpful, it looks like a hemi R/T could be close. Chrysler always seems to discount heavily, especially with the cars on their own lots.
How is the quality ie interiors, NVH, rattles and squeaks? The 300 rode very well, well damped and quiet. Only a six, but the eight speed auto was amazing.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,917
Quote:
I hadn't considered one 'cause it seemed like a 300 in kid clothes. The link was helpful, it looks like a hemi R/T could be close. Chrysler always seems to discount heavily, especially with the cars on their own lots.
How is the quality ie interiors, NVH, rattles and squeaks? The 300 rode very well, well damped and quiet. Only a six, but the eight speed auto was amazing.
With the previous generation (which they have improved on immensely) I had no complaints other than it was very plain, the stereo looked a lot like the one my family had in our early 90's Plymouth Voyager.

With the new huge touch screen they have definitely changed that....and I'd give it a 7/10 overall and I just take it down a bit because the materials aren't exactly what I'd want (they are nice but I'm picky on this) and it is such a huge car they just need to do a little more work to make everything proportional. Also you'll want the big LCD since they now have a small one on the base but it is low resolution and the color doesn't look so great either....plus it is this small screen on a huge dash so I'm not sure why they did it other than to say it has a touch screen in the brochure.

And if you pick a quiet color you'll get the added benefit of people thinking your an undercover cop and getting the hell out of your way on the highway

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #85
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Will you Dodge people get the fuck out of this thread!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #86
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Hopefully it'll be better than the SUX I mean SVX
SVX was ahead of its time, i drove an awd lsi for a year and loved it. to bad the tranny would fail late in its life
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #87
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-v...ower-next-wrx/

Turbo Version of Subaru BRZ’s FA-Series Engine Debuts in Japanese Legacy, Will Power Next WRX
May 8, 2012 at 12:35pm by Alexander Stoklosa

We recently confirmed that we won’t be seeing a turbocharged Subaru BRZ anytime soon; however, we now have a fairly good idea of what kind of power such a model will eventually bring. Subaru has dropped the first turbocharged variant of its 2.0-liter, FA-series flat-four engine—the naturally aspirated version of which powers the BRZ and its Toyota/Scion brethren—into the refreshed Japanese-market Legacy sedan and wagon.

The turbo FA20′s output numbers are impressive: 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. In the JDM Legacy, the engine is bolted to Subaru’s CVT, likely for fuel-economy reasons; we’d expect a turbo BRZ to offer a proper manual transmission and an auto similar or identical to the one it uses now.

The new turbo FA features Subaru’s own direct-injection setup, as opposed (boxer-engine pun intended) to the BRZ’s Toyota-derived direct- and port-injection heads. We think the 2013 BRZ is pretty fun already, even with only 200 hp powering the rear wheels—close to 300 hp sounds like it would be silly fun.

Turbo BRZ uncertainty aside, we’ll likely see this engine appear on our shores within the next year or two under the hood of the next-generation WRX and STI. We previously confirmed that the sporty models will be powered by a turbocharged iteration of the 2.0-liter FA motor, and that the STI’s engine will produce north of 300 hp. The new 2.0-liter turbo four will replace the 2.5-liter turbo in the current 265-hp WRX and 305-hp STI. Although the thought of a 296-hp WRX and an even-more-powerful STI sounds pretty good, chances are the WRX will make something less than that, while the STI will make a little more.

A big motivator for Subaru moving the WRX and STI to the smaller 2.0-liter turbo is, of course, fuel economy—the current 2.5-liter is thirsty. It goes without saying that more power and better efficiency for the next WRX and STI are good things. Now all we have to do is wait for the duo to arrive.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #88
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 228
bump

who's got one, and what do you think of it?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #89
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
My new VW Jetta TDI was just 25500 after discounts.

And I'm getting 54 mpg on my 90 mile a day drive.
my coworker also has a new TDI jetta. It's only been in the shop 6 times in the first year! Don't know if he got a bad one but when its working he loves the mileage since he has an epic commute

The Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS is almost unobtanium around here since its been out. There's a lot of barely used ones for north of $30k all over the place. Dealers are raping people on them according to my buddy who tried to buy a Scion one. He ended up getting a killer trade in value on his R32 and bought a 2011 STI which is all kinds of amazing
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #90
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,849
I saw a nice red FR-S at the Toyota dealer a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was a Ferrari, in red it looks awesome. The tests show it to be a great handling car, needs more HP though. Nice seats, Recarro IIRC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: