User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #91
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
@ Jeffy

I would ate to see the 2.0 turbo boxer go, but the new motor would be welcome if it was the replacement for the rest of the non turbo lineup- I wish Subaru would bring their Diesel to the U.S. - EVERY other country has it but us :(
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #92
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,847
Have one of the Scion versions here at the dealer nearby. $31k and Scion doesn't deal (but somehow it is ok to jack up the price over msrp cuz it is new).

Companies always do this with their sportcars (overprice them that is), the 350Z was supposed to be the everyman's sportscar by the time they actually made it is was $30k instead of $20k, it also ended up much heavier/ powerful than it was supposed to be, another problem with most sportscars.

Mazda has even done it with Miata, there is no reason one of those should ever ever be over $30k but some are. The FR-S, BRZ, Miata are all $20k-$25K cars at their level.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #93
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Have one of the Scion versions here at the dealer nearby. $31k and Scion doesn't deal (but somehow it is ok to jack up the price over msrp cuz it is new).

Companies always do this with their sportcars (overprice them that is), the 350Z was supposed to be the everyman's sportscar by the time they actually made it is was $30k instead of $20k, it also ended up much heavier/ powerful than it was supposed to be, another problem with most sportscars.

Mazda has even done it with Miata, there is no reason one of those should ever ever be over $30k but some are. The FR-S, BRZ, Miata are all $20k-$25K cars at their level.

Yep. Give it time, though, and the prices will come down to some reasonable levels on new ones or last year models that haven't sold yet.

I've been seeing a lot of them around ABQ though, so I guess they are selling well here. We have a very active Subaru community in NM and quite a few dealerships though.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #94
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I bought the Scion version

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephron View Post
who's got one, and what do you think of it?
I purchased a white Scion FR-S a couple of months ago. Manual Trans & no options. It's a pretty plain car, but that's what I wanted for a daily driver / fun car. I believe that Toyota/Subaru did a great job of fulfilling the design intentions of the car.

I owned an '89 911 Carrera several years ago, and this car is a good replacement for it. Before the Porsche purists flame me, all I mean is that the Scion is a small, light, great-handling car with comfortable seating for 2, plus 2 really uncomfortable kids.

The Scion's handling is not overstated by the car mags...it is really that good, and stickier tires will make it even better. The lack of power reported by many testers is only an issue if you expect to drag race; for a daily driver and sports car, it's enough. Build quality is fine, but the car is noisy because of the absence of sound deadening material to save weight. I may add some Dynamat or similar material to absorb some of the road noise. I've read that some people with very early production cars are having problems, but mine is at about 3000 miles with zero issues.

The car is not terribly comfortable for long drives. I did about 360 miles in one sitting last week with only a stop to get fuel and eat, and my right knee was hurting by the time I got home. The footwell is just too small to change your right leg's position much. Conversely, the seat is probably the best-fitting seat of any I have owned.

Overall, I am happy with the Scion. It was relatively cheap (compared to the other cars I considered), gets good fuel mileage, and I really enjoy driving it around town. I would not recommend buying one without test driving it first; it's not for everybody.
thirdcoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #95
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Thirdcoaster wrote: gets good fuel mileage

What are you getting & what type of driving does the car see?

NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #96
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
Thirdcoaster wrote: gets good fuel mileage

What are you getting & what type of driving does the car see?
Fuel mileage averages 26-28 for short trips (under 10 miles), which is my "normal" driving habit. The results are consistent for the dash display and hand calculation, and it doesn't seem to matter if I baby it or thrash it. The highway drive last week netted 32.5.

I call this "good fuel mileage" because my other vehicle is a Ford F-450 in which double digit fuel economy is a reason to celebrate.
thirdcoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #97
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
BRZ STI, FTW!

I've had my WRX wagon for about 10-years now and the difference between the NA and turbo model is huge. So, a turbo'd BRZ would likely be similarly mo' betta than the standard BRZ. And a STI version of the BRZ? The hawtness! Luckily I'm not in a car buying mode because I wouldn't buy a non-turbo version of the BRZ. I'm that convinced that the chasis will just come alive that I wouldn't take a half-step waiting for some forced induction. The car NEEDS it! Seriously, one of the major car mags put it up as a top-10 driver's car--against Ferraris and such--and basically it was only the power that was keeping it from playing with the big dogs.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #98
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,949
Bump to my thread...

I test drove a BRZ Limited yesterday

Very bad idea. VERY bad idea. I want one. Damn, I want one!

The car handles, really, really well. The clutch is a bit light and the travel is nothing. The transmission was crisp, with very short throws. The steering was tight and quick.

I test drove up in Maine on some frost heaved roads. The suspension did a good job with the bumps while also allowing the car to maintain decent composure while cornering. I also found the ride quite smooth on a long stretch of state highway, and the noise in the cabin really wasn't bad.

Did I sat that I want one?

My only deal breaker is the rear seat. Sure, it has two seats in back, but they have absolutely no legroom. I know, I know, that's not the purpose of a car like this. But damn, just 4 more inches and you could have seats that could be used if really needed.

EPA listed 30 mpg on the highway is nice, too.

Anyone own one yet? I feel another impulse buy coming on here.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #99
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I went to Go Nation Subaru on west Colfax (Golden, Co) to test drive a BRZ - they told me BRZ test drives are not allowed, but they would sell me one for sticker price. Had to tell them they would be the last dealer I'd buy from or recommend.
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #100
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
I went to Go Nation Subaru on west Colfax (Golden, Co) to test drive a BRZ - they told me BRZ test drives are not allowed, but they would sell me one for sticker price. Had to tell them they would be the last dealer I'd buy from or recommend.
That's surprising. The dealer I went to only had the one and they practically tossed the keys to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #101
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Bump to my thread...

I test drove a BRZ Limited yesterday

Very bad idea. VERY bad idea. I want one. Damn, I want one!

The car handles, really, really well. The clutch is a bit light and the travel is nothing. The transmission was crisp, with very short throws. The steering was tight and quick.

I test drove up in Maine on some frost heaved roads. The suspension did a good job with the bumps while also allowing the car to maintain decent composure while cornering. I also found the ride quite smooth on a long stretch of state highway, and the noise in the cabin really wasn't bad.

Did I sat that I want one?

My only deal breaker is the rear seat. Sure, it has two seats in back, but they have absolutely no legroom. I know, I know, that's not the purpose of a car like this. But damn, just 4 more inches and you could have seats that could be used if really needed.

EPA listed 30 mpg on the highway is nice, too.

Anyone own one yet? I feel another impulse buy coming on here.
Yes, I own one! Bought it also a bit on impulse, it was on my short list of cars to look at, and when I saw it, just bought it right then and there.
That said, I kept my Civic SI hatch as the dog hauler and the car to get tree sap on it down at my office :loll

Paid list, no test drive, didn't even ask for one. Figured if I hated it I could sell it for what I paid. I have a thread about the car, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854738

It has about 1300 miles on it, I am getting about 31 mpg, not easy driving The back seat sucks, but I don't plan on putting any humans back there. My dog can fit (130 lbs, big guy), but he does not like it because it is not HIS car (he has been in the Civic since he was 3 months old, he won't get in any other car either, go figure)

I love it. The nav system is not that accurate, took me to a different hotel yesterday, the sound system is all touch pad, I don't like that. You have to take your eyes off the road to change stations. Getting used to it, but would prefer buttons. Interior is great, handling is superb, for me, it is fast enough!
At idle the boxer engine sounds agricultural, but once you get on the throttle, sounds good.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #102
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Yes, I own one! Bought it also a bit on impulse, it was on my short list of cars to look at, and when I saw it, just bought it right then and there.
That said, I kept my Civic SI hatch as the dog hauler and the car to get tree sap on it down at my office :loll

Paid list, no test drive, didn't even ask for one. Figured if I hated it I could sell it for what I paid. I have a thread about the car, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854738

It has about 1300 miles on it, I am getting about 31 mpg, not easy driving The back seat sucks, but I don't plan on putting any humans back there. My dog can fit (130 lbs, big guy), but he does not like it because it is not HIS car (he has been in the Civic since he was 3 months old, he won't get in any other car either, go figure)

I love it. The nav system is not that accurate, took me to a different hotel yesterday, the sound system is all touch pad, I don't like that. You have to take your eyes off the road to change stations. Getting used to it, but would prefer buttons. Interior is great, handling is superb, for me, it is fast enough!
At idle the boxer engine sounds agricultural, but once you get on the throttle, sounds good.
Somehow, I missed your thread. Congratulations on a great car!

I think my test drive was maybe 20 minutes and about 10 miles or so. That was one hell of a fun drive!

What do you think of it in regards to a daily driver: would it be suitable? I thought the seat was very comfortable and the ride not bad at all.

I really liked sitting in that seat and pushing the start button (which is a big ass button ). It sounded like a typical Subaru as the engine spun, then a nice bit of rumble and throat erupted when the engine caught. Otherwise, I didn't really hear the engine much while driving, though that could have been from the salesperson droning on and on.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #103
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,702
It would be a great daily driver, although ingress /egress might be tough if you are tall and get into a tight parking spot. Visibility is great to front and sides, good to rear. Ride is good, better than my 02 civic si, but to be fair, it has low pro tires (not stock). I bought my Honda new for 7k under list in 02, has about 95 k miles, is a little worn, and if I had to get rid of it, the BRZ would be fine for my commute. It is nice to have a beater car, though.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #104
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
It would be a great daily driver, although ingress /egress might be tough if you are tall and get into a tight parking spot. Visibility is great to front and sides, good to rear. Ride is good, better than my 02 civic si, but to be fair, it has low pro tires (not stock). I bought my Honda new for 7k under list in 02, has about 95 k miles, is a little worn, and if I had to get rid of it, the BRZ would be fine for my commute. It is nice to have a beater car, though.
Thanks for the info

I really did find it quite comfortable for such a fun car.

Now to do the dealer dance.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #105
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Love the BRZ. Love it. Drove the Scion FRS. Reminds me of the old Z series. Too bad they have not gone t-top yet.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 06:02 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: