User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 637
GSAW seat height question

I hear so many folks on different threads here talking about the seat height of the new 2014-2015 GS Adventures, especially in regard to aftermarket seats. I guess I just need to ask this for my own piece of mind...

Did they lower the stock seat height of the GSAW from the previous oil-cooled version? I had a "standard" R1200GS 2012 model and my new GSAW with the stock seat in the "high" position front and rear gives me every bit as much ground contact as the 2012 standard GS did, if not more. I'm flat footed on both feet with nice bend in both knees. My GSAW feels a good 2 to 3 inches lower than the 2013 GSA I sat on a couple years back.

I'm aware that the GSAW comes optional with factory lowering. Mine is not, it is the standard height. I was actually so convinced they'd sold me a "lowered" model on accident(?) that I went to another dealer to have them check my VIN. The second dealer confirmed, my VIN is for a standard, not lowered bike. I then sat on another GSAW standard that this second dealer had in stock, and it was every bit as low as mine.

I'm no giant...I'm 5'10" tall, with a 32" inseam. I can't wrap my head around how low these GSAW's feel. I'm excited to get my Corbin just so I can get a little higher seating position. Am I nuts? Everything I've read says that the <2013 GSA's were the same seat height as the new models...it sure doesn't feel that way to me.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 54,467
The GSAw is a bit lower. I can easily ride one at 5'8" and a 28" inseam!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Jedi5150 OP
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The GSAw is a bit lower. I can easily ride one at 5'8" and a 28" inseam!
Thanks Jim, now I know I'm not going insane...at least not for that reason.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
asnowmobiler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
The stock seat hight would be fine for me on the road, but offroad it's too high for me. IMO
Inseam 30/31.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
s4awd
Anywhere but here.

Oddometer: 94
The new LC's seats are also not as wide so that helps with your legs not splaying and you'll add a bit more reach compared to the older bikes.
s4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
jolly green giant
biggles

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
I hear so many folks on different threads here talking about the seat height of the new 2014-2015 GS Adventures, especially in regard to aftermarket seats. I guess I just need to ask this for my own piece of mind...

Did they lower the stock seat height of the GSAW from the previous oil-cooled version? I had a "standard" R1200GS 2012 model and my new GSAW with the stock seat in the "high" position front and rear gives me every bit as much ground contact as the 2012 standard GS did, if not more. I'm flat footed on both feet with nice bend in both knees. My GSAW feels a good 2 to 3 inches lower than the 2013 GSA I sat on a couple years back.

I'm aware that the GSAW comes optional with factory lowering. Mine is not, it is the standard height. I was actually so convinced they'd sold me a "lowered" model on accident(?) that I went to another dealer to have them check my VIN. The second dealer confirmed, my VIN is for a standard, not lowered bike. I then sat on another GSAW standard that this second dealer had in stock, and it was every bit as low as mine.

I'm no giant...I'm 5'10" tall, with a 32" inseam. I can't wrap my head around how low these GSAW's feel. I'm excited to get my Corbin just so I can get a little higher seating position. Am I nuts? Everything I've read says that the <2013 GSA's were the same seat height as the new models...it sure doesn't feel that way to me.
6'7" with a 37" inseam - nobody's perfect! I had the same doubts so I measured the seat height and found out that the ESA set for rider only measures 890mm. When suspension set for rider+pillion (two helmets) seat height measures 910mm. Been riding on the latter setting ever since.
jolly green giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
The bikes are a little lower, but the seats are narrower at the front, which is what makes the difference. I'm also 5'10 with a 32" inseam, and can flat foot, which did surprise me when I first looked at the GSAW.