User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Malaria drug advice

I'm headed to India in a month. Alas, not a motorcycle journey but rather, a medical mission. Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you can give some input on anti-malarial drugs.

First, a sort of big bit of info: I have Crohn's disease. For those not familiar, it's an intestinal problem that, in a nutshell, is caused by your immune system attacking your intestine. Generally it is pretty controllable with diet and medication. When I have "flare-ups" the symptoms are stomach cramping, the runs, etc. As an added benefit, the controlling medication that happens to work for me is one that basically knocks out my immune system.

I've already gotten the standard battery of immunizations including Hep A and B, flu, pneumonia, yellow fever, typhoid and the general ones like mumps, polio, etc.

From what I'm reading on malaria drugs it comes down to three choices:
Malarone: can cause side effects of nausea and stomach pain.
Doxycycline: can cause side effects of nausea, stomach pain, and extreme sun sensitivity.
Larium: can cause depression, seizures, and psychosis.

So basically I've got two choices that can screw with my Crohn's disease and another that can make me raving, suicidal loony.

Anybody have experiences with any of these you'd like to relate?
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I'm headed to India in a month....

From what I'm reading on malaria drugs it comes down to three choices:
Malarone: can cause side effects of nausea and stomach pain.
Doxycycline: can cause side effects of nausea, stomach pain, and extreme sun sensitivity.
Larium: can cause depression, seizures, and psychosis.

So basically I've got two choices that can screw with my Crohn's disease and another that can make me raving, suicidal loony.

Anybody have experiences with any of these you'd like to relate?
I took Doxy with food and never had an issue. Dont have Crohn's but you can start taking it right now and see if you have problems. If you find that after a few days it's messing with you, switch to the other choice.

Canoli.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I'd take a different route for this problem.

That of prevention. It's going to be cool, so you should not have a problem covering up and using repellent on whatever parts are exposed. Carrying your own netting would not be a bad idea either. Further, malaria is unfortunately much more common here that we like it to be so doctors have a lot of experience treating it, just in case you have the bad luck to contract it. They'd have more than adequate competence treating it - though factoring in your Crohn's (not common here) would take a bit of time.

If on immuno suppressives, you'd have to be very careful of what you eat, though.

BTW, where in India?
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
I went to Delhi and north this past August. My girlfriend and I both were taking Doxy, whether we were eating or not, we were getting upset stomachs. We gave up on the daily med, stopped getting upset stomachs and enjoyed our vacation.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I'd take a different route for this problem.

That of prevention. It's going to be cool, so you should not have a problem covering up and using repellent on whatever parts are exposed. Carrying your own netting would not be a bad idea either. Further, malaria is unfortunately much more common here that we like it to be so doctors have a lot of experience treating it, just in case you have the bad luck to contract it. They'd have more than adequate competence treating it - though factoring in your Crohn's (not common here) would take a bit of time.

If on immuno suppressives, you'd have to be very careful of what you eat, though.

BTW, where in India?
I'll be in the state of Assam and more specifically, the city of Tezpur.

I had thought of going with just the prevention route, but I am on immuno suppressants so the idea of taking doxy that would also help with a couple of the other diseases is appealing. I've also done some further reading and there are a couple of varieties of doxy that are easier on the stomach.

I've already gotten the standard battery of immunizations including Hep A and B, yellow fever, flu, pneumonia, and typhoid.

Speedracertdi: Did you just not worry about malaria for the rest of the trip?
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I've also done some further reading and there are a couple of varieties of doxy that are easier on the stomach.
Maybe you could do a "trial run" of 2 weeks where you are to see if it suits you. Just the act of getting bitten does not automatically mean that you will get malaria, but yes, being prepared for eventualities is never a bad idea.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
The answer of talking to a travel doctor should be obvious.

Malaria is not just one thing. There are different strains in different parts of the world and some respond to some drugs and not other drugs.

That said, my doc recommended doxy for India and that's what I took.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
The answer of talking to a travel doctor should be obvious.

Malaria is not just one thing. There are different strains in different parts of the world and some respond to some drugs and not other drugs.

That said, my doc recommended doxy for India and that's what I took.
+1 go see a travel doc
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

I ended up with Doxy. It's the drug recommended for the area I'm going to. My pharmacist was nice enough to give me a few to try out and check to see if they would upset my stomach. They didn't so I loaded up. Good thing too, as the variety of doxy that is designed specifically to NOT upset the stomach would have been about $800.00!!!

I head out next Wednesday the 2nd. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Buy your meds in India.

Usually they cost a fraction of what you'll pay where you are. Almost everything is available

Just FYI
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,441
Larium ... Stay away from it .
Thousands and thousands of veterans are suffering from taking that shit , including myself . No experience with the others , just know that Larium will cause a lifetime of problems
Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
I live in a dengue fever/ malaria area and never take any meds on a daily basis. The problems that come with any of them far outweigh the benefits imho. I do have some just in case though, but saying that you are never really too far from decent medical services these days.
If you do get sick you can take a larger dosage (of the dailies,check with supplier) to cure the problem yourself if you're really in the shit.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Start gearing up with tonic water, Jack Daniels, fresh lime to prevent scurvy..

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote