Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
kruzuki OP
Gear in the Machine

Oddometer: 788
Spine protectors

Does anyone wear one?

As I get older, I'm a little more cautious when riding.

Not so much speed-wise but more in regard to personal protection, in case my speed or some idiot driver requires it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Dunkel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I use an earlier gen one of these.... www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/pro-l2k-back-protector/2382

I hardly know it's there unless it's hot and I'm on a technical trail. Nice back protector = cheap insurance
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I use one, not only is it cheap insurance, it also helps with my posture and spares my back.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
I never ride offroad without my Alpinestars Bionic - I believe it has saved me from serious injury countless times :

NB. I work as a paramedic and have often seen the difference between riders who wear good protection and those who don't
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,470
I've been using a roost guard off road, plus the spine pad that is part of a jacket, but I just ordered a 661 pressure suit, and am looking to buy Alpinestars Track Protection Vest for the street rides.

Same here, the older I get, the more stuff I wear
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,267
I didn't until a few years ago, and now use one on every ride. Most jackets have crap standard back protection, or none at all (aerostich).

Mine is a re-labeled Forcefield sold under the Joe Rocket name, purchased for a reasonable price from newenough.com.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I use an earlier gen one of these.... www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/pro-l2k-back-protector/2382

I hardly know it's there unless it's hot and I'm on a technical trail. Nice back protector = cheap insurance

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
vink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I am looking for some of the same.
I started wearing Knox compression shorts, (padded shorts). they give some piece of mind. I'm on the lookout for more padded gear etc.
I like that Alpinestars moto chest protector. It's on my list.

I also worked for a time as a medic and found that there is no way to prevent or be protected from all the potential hazards but the protective gear stacks the odds in our favor.

Something I heard on one of the Faster videos was, a good spine protector should have flexibility forward and not backward. To prevent you from being bent backwards in a getoff.
Sounds logical.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Ape76
NB

Oddometer: 170
Yes these are a good idea and can be found relatively "cheap" online. I use a Bohn strap on which has a slimmer fit and works well under my riding jackets on the street. The Forcefield is really nice as well but a bit pricier...
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
Heh. "Bohn strap on."

Anyways... I have a Knox Ricochet that's a couple of years old and should probably be upgraded to the more comfortable/protective Forcefield model. Webbike has a good review of the latter here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-...eld-pro-sub-4/

Honestly, I think the type of injuries prevented by these things are fairly rare, but my father's in a wheelchair from a spinal injury, so I probably worry about it more than most people.

Also, all of your friends and possibly your wife will punch you in the back. No point getting mad. They can't help it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i wore a fairly cheap ufo back protector when i was doing track days . . Not much discomfort . I felt better with it on . It was veribrae type ,didnt hinder movement at all.
The last i checked there was no ratings for this type equipment .
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
We don't have standards for them in this country, but they go by the European system like CE armor. Back protectors go by EN 1621-2:2003, and there are a few levels of rating. They drop some kind of thingamajig on the back protector. Level 1 transmits 18 kN of force to the wearer's back, Level 2 transmits 9 kN. My Knox Ricochet is labeled level 1. The Forcefield Pro Sub 4 claims less than 4 kN.

I don't wear mine to commute, or go to the store, but any kind of pleasure riding, I'll strap it on (HAR!). It blocks the rear vents in my jacket, so it can be a little uncomfortable, but I don't notice it after awhile.

Edit: here's a study on spine injuries in motorcycle accidents:
https://secure.muhealth.org/~ed/stud...a_53_p0005.pdf

Something that occurs to me-- they test back protectors for impact, but the most common injury is hyperflexion, so they may not be that useful. My back protector bends forward more easily than backward, but I'm not convinced it would prevent me from bending backward in a crash. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.

RevChris screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 06:07 AM Reason: adding some stuff
RevChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,373
I have a cheap Technic one that I mounted to the inside of my jacket with velcro. It has a waist belt as well.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
Trialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I wear a Knox on my road bike and an Alpinestars Bionic off road. I find both very comfy and a nice piece of mind.

Two years ago I went for a complete physical , not because of any problems, but mainly because I had just turned 50, and wanted a baseline I could gauge against in later years. Part of that exam included a full chest and back Xray. When I went back for the results later , the Dr said to me ..."So, no issues at all, but the radiologist and I were just curious how and when you broke your back ? We can tell it's an old injury that healed, but how did it happen ?" What !!!??????

I had to rack my memory cells, but finally figured it out .... that was about 20 yrs ago !

He then asked what had been done for it. I said I thought (at the time) I had either just cracked or dislocated a couple ribs, and the only thing I did was lay flat on the floor and hang on to furniture legs when I felt a sneeze coming on.
Trialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevChris View Post
*SNIP*
Edit: here's a study on spine injuries in motorcycle accidents:
https://secure.muhealth.org/~ed/stud...a_53_p0005.pdf
*SNIP*
Good news! 1 more year and my risk of injury drops to about 10-11%
Just ordered my first rigid back protector and now it looks like I wont need it.