ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 830
Pissed Oil in Coolant After WP Rebuild?

I know there's another active thread titled similarly, but our pictures look very different. Here's what the coolant that was in my overflow tank looks like:

Certainly looks like oil - haven't given it enough time to separate or anything.

Just did the water pump rebuild literally 5 days ago. Had trouble with the gasket for the case so had to take the case off twice to get a better seal (that is, gasket between the case and the outside world). Had no trouble with the WP seal itself - bearings went in great, seal seemed good, shaft lubed with a small amount of engine assembly grease (all we had to lube with). Checked clutch basket for milky oil just for the heck of it - all clean. Oil level seems to still be very close to where it was after I filled it up. Coolant level went from "Full" line to right at the cap.

I'm wondering if the paper gasket didn't seal well around the perimeter of the pump housing and is letting oil seep into the coolant. If that's the case, I guess I need to crack the case again and get another gasket (uuuggghhhh). Really desperate for some insight as I have been getting ready for a long-planned ride this weekend and only have tomorrow through Friday night to fix. HELP!
GoGoGavin41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
TA-Zappa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Not sure if that is caused by incorrect mounted waterpump or not. As far as I can tell (and my memory serves me), it looks more like a blown headgasket or incorrect torqued bolts.

Guess there is better source of information but this is just my .02

/Zappa
'09 250 EXC-F SixDays - 184h (Stolen)
'98 XL600V Transalp - 86000km - SOLD
TA-Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Ok, here's a quick update. Drained the coolant from the radiator via the drain bolt at the bottom port side of the radiator itself this morning. Coolant came out clear for probably the first 90% of draining, last little bit had some blackness to it but not nearly as opaque as the overflow tank.

Coolant from tank that I extracted last night has mostly settled, leaving dark cloudiness with small black debris at the bottom of the container with kind of clearer coolant at the top.

Does this sound indicative of deteriorating hoses? Everything I've read about oil in coolant seems to suggest the oil should rise above the coolant and exhibit itself as pools of rainbowy brownish stuff. Mine is very much black and is settling below the coolant.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 755
I have the other thread going.
Looks and sounds the same too me. Mine has most likely been mixed longer.
I'm banking on the gasket failure where you mentioned. Or the outer case has warped a bit allowing oil to pass in that area. Not much surface area there. Before you tear down do some heat cycle flushes on the cooling system. I got a a bunch more out on my first flush and second was clean. If I had pleanty of extra cash right now I would order new hoses too just to rule them out.

ill keep an eye on this thread might give me some insight.
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Ok, I'm trying to convince myself more and more that this is rubber from the hoses. A lot of online searching does not lead me to believe it looks like oil. Let's do a worst case analysis:

My goal is to go on a ~500 mile ride this weekend, starting Friday night, that will range from slab to deep sand. Temps in the 80's.

-If it's rubber, and I flush a few times, keep an eye on the coolant, will there really be any appreciable damage to the system? I don't seem to have any external coolant leaks so it should still do it's job whether there's rubber in there or not, right? Don't necessarily have time to get the Samco hoses and install before Friday.

-If it's oil, worst case it could degrade the hoses to the point of failure, leaving me stranded 30 miles from the road with no engine cooling. Best case, it just keeps pushing some oil in there and is fine until I can take it apart after the ride.

I know the conservative thing to do is not go on the ride, but I've been planning this for more than a year and it will probably be my last big desert ride in SoCal before moving back to the East Coast.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Okie dokie, here's some more info.

Coolant from the expansion tank had settled pretty nicely overnight. Here's what the bottom looks like:

Definitely black slimey stuff settled at the bottom of the container. In hindsight, I think I've seen very small amounts of it before when draining the coolant. The rest of the coolant was mostly clear with none of the colloidal black stuff in it.

As a comparison, I mixed some Motorex liquid gold with the coolant I'm using and stirred as vigorously as I could. Still separated with the oil on top.

I'm pretty convinced this is material from the hoses. That being said, does anyone think this is a BAD idea to ride with for a weekend? I think I pretty obviously need new hoses and probably a new radiator cap, but I don't think that's feasible in the next 48 hours.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
I dont see a huge problem here with the sediments. could be left over from factory assemble, etc.

I have flushed alot more out of my brand new KTMs
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,397
The rubber overflow tube is a culprit in clouding up the reservoir with black hose residue. Once residue is removed you'll be fine.

Mine leaves small amounts of residue in my reservoir making me clean and bottle brush it out. I have nearly 30k on my motor so I don't think it is problematic in my instance.

I recently spoke with another inmate who suddenly noticed a very large backup of black hose residue and within a few days a coolant hose ruptured on him.

If you can bring a couple sections of the proper diameter hoses with clamps in an emergency... Then you might be able to limp somewhere by adding water to replace any lost coolant (non ethylene) worst case scenario.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 04:22 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 755
I did the same test with my oil and coolant,Same results.

Let's say it is still oil, more likely contaminated than fresh oil out of the bottle and has been cycling heat many times might get the oil to change properties with carbon deposits??? I dumped my oil in to my recycle bucket with other oils so I can't try that.

If it is rubber, the. Why did we both see spikes in fluid level? This small amount of rubber would not displace that much fluid.

Do we both need new radiator caps and hoses?

Not trying to be negative or criticizing anyone's comments here. Just trying to think out loud And figure it out.
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

I actually pulled the oil out of my oil tank for the test; the oil is very new, less than 100 miles on it (was changed with water pump).

I agree that the increase in level is the only thing that doesn't follow with the other conclusions. Wondering if I hadn't gotten the motor warm enough after completing the work - I let it warm up until the fans were running, but then didn't check the level again until the other night.

Looking at my cap, it is pretty rough looking. Checked the tube to the coolant tank - didn't look great but better than the cap. Guess I can run to the store and get some new tubing for the tank, that's easy enough to get to.

Concerning new hoses - Procycle seems to have the same Samco hoses and clamps for the same price as KTMTwins has just the hosing (w/o clamps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
I did the same test with my oil and coolant,Same results.

Let's say it is still oil, more likely contaminated than fresh oil out of the bottle and has been cycling heat many times might get the oil to change properties with carbon deposits??? I dumped my oil in to my recycle bucket with other oils so I can't try that.

If it is rubber, the. Why did we both see spikes in fluid level? This small amount of rubber would not displace that much fluid.

Do we both need new radiator caps and hoses?

Not trying to be negative or criticizing anyone's comments here. Just trying to think out loud And figure it out.