ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
xj750guy OP
on the Baja 7yr plan

Oddometer: 99
Looking for "IDIOTS" who use Delorme

Just to clarify.........I am (apparently), an idiot. However, I don't want to be.

After some christmas "hinting" on my behalf, my wonderful wife bought me a new Delorme PN-60W with the SPOT messenger. I had done my research regarding the different units available, and was certain it was perfect for my needs.

My issue is that I feel like a complete IDIOT the moment I turn on Topo 9 and begin to try to plan a route.

Is there anywhere I can go that has a "lesson set" for me to learn step by step the processes of the program?

I have looked at the Delorme blogs/forum online, but was hoping to find an easy way to start the learning process.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Darryl
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
It's not just you! I got mine last spring and have been struggling my way through it ever since. I did just get a new laptop that has helped considerably. My wife's net book was just way too slow to run the software.

We are doing the TAT this summer and I just got my maps last week. I have been transferring the maps to routes the past few days. It is not very intuitive software, but I am starting to get the hang of it. My issue with it is the lack of different route preferences. As a result, it tries to route me how it wants and not via the waypoints I am putting in. I end up putting a lot of "avoid" spots on each map to make it take the route I already loaded.

I have found that the tutorial has answered most of my questions, but it has been a learning experience for sure! If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
when clicking waypoints while making a route, I have found it best to use the the "add as last waypoint" instead of " add waypoint" That is if you start from "START" There are plenty of route preferences under the Advanced tab, You can also draw multiple layers under draw, and make them very easy to see and follow, You can also draw the way you want to go and convert it to a Route or Track, Stay at it guys as it is a very powerful program, it will so much more that the Garmin Mapsource.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
I'm not very proficient with the software yet either, but rwamf is correct, add yours points in the order you want, and select "add as last" otherwise it will mix things up all weird.

I also set my routes preferences for creating dual sport tracks to avoid nearly all roads except forest roads, local unimproved and ferries.

One thing that I also do when I'm planning a route is to save it as both a route and a track. The reason for this is due to the way that the unit will handle rerouting if you go of course. You can load both a route and a track simultaneously, and if you do get rerouted, you can simply get back to your original route (still viewable as the track) and then reload the route to "start fresh".
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

So here's a specific example from trying to route the TAT, trying to route Black Dragon Wash in Utah. Seems simple, but Topo 9 does not show a trail there, only the river bed. How do I get a route there?

Another issue, between Moab and I70, Topo doesn't want to recognize 4x4 trails. They are there, it shows them, but will not route on them.

Ideas?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
jwd98056
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
So here's a specific example from trying to route the TAT, trying to route Black Dragon Wash in Utah. Seems simple, but Topo 9 does not show a trail there, only the river bed. How do I get a route there?

Another issue, between Moab and I70, Topo doesn't want to recognize 4x4 trails. They are there, it shows them, but will not route on them.

Ideas?
I only have version 7.0 but if there is no trail or road in the database there was no way to route through it. What I did was create two routes that get as close to the unroutable section as possible. I then used the "Track" tool to make a route through the area that connects to the two routes. The track will show on the GPS but you will not get navigation prompts. You will need to eyeball navigate the track section. I load the second route when I get to the other side of the track. I think Street Atlas has the ability to create new roads and add them to the road database. I don't know if Topo USA has evolved to that point yet.
IBA #32756 - BMWMOA #122647
'05 BMW R1200GS - Desert Yellow (Brutus)
'12 HD Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglow (JD'sRoad)
'02 HD Heritage Softail - Custom Paint (JDsHog)
jwd98056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

I found the answer to my problem last night. You can add a trail using the draw function on Topo 9. The only caveat is that it has to connect to a recognized road. The tutorial is actually pretty good and explains things pretty well. I just wish the software was more intuitive, I hate having to go back constantly to read each little detail. I think overall it is a great tool, just a steep learning curve because of how powerful it is.

Tim
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
xj750guy OP
on the Baja 7yr plan

Glad there are others in the same boat as me..........

I am back at it tonight trying to figure it out.....baby steps.

Can anyone explain where/how I would add a GPX file like the one linked below into Topo 9?

http://www.tourofidaho.com/gpx/TID_2011.gpx

I would like to get it into the program as an "established route" so that I can actually "see" a track on the program.

Thanks again,
Darryl
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Download it, place it on your desktop. Open Topo 9 and make it smaller so you can see your desktop where you copied the download to. Left click on the file and drag it onto the Topo 9 program and the track will appear.

Tim
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
xj750guy OP
on the Baja 7yr plan

Quote:
Download it, place it on your desktop. Open Topo 9 and make it smaller so you can see your desktop where you copied the download to. Left click on the file and drag it onto the Topo 9 program and the track will appear.
It looks like the "Tour of Idaho" file isn't actually a GPX file.........

I just downloaded the CDR GPX file from ADV, and it transferred just like you said, but the other file is just a "list" of waypoints in some other format. At least now I see how something works to start with.

Thanks
Darryl
Old 01-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

I downloaded it since it was the one you were having problems with and it worked for me just fine. It shows up on TOPO 9 just fine. With that being said, yes, it is just a bunch of waypoints. I didn't try to do anything with it other than download it, but it is in there.

Tim
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
xj750guy OP
on the Baja 7yr plan

Tim

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I got it to work.

Now that I have some "substance" on the screen that looks like something, I can begin to move around the system and learn how it works. Wow, is the aerial imagery nice!

Is there any particular video tutorial, or maybe a lesson "wizard" that you have found for training?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

I have just been using the built in tutorial and figuring it out from there. That is the little "?" icon on the tool bar. It tells you how to do what you want, but leaves out just enough detail to require you to play with it and figure it out on your own. Really, for the short amount of time I have been playing with it, I can do 99% of the stuff I need to. The only thing I don't like is the lack of routing options for road types and having to put in all the different "avoid area" icons to "force" it to take the route I put in with via's to begin with.

I routed half of Utah last night in only 2 hours or so. It's not second nature yet, but I'm getting the hang of it!

Tim
Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
xj750guy OP
on the Baja 7yr plan

After some more playing, I am starting to get an idea of the way this system works, but I am obviously missing one key item. How do I add a "viapoint" into a route?

For instance, if "TOWN A" and "TOWN B" are directly routed (a to b), and I want to add an off track route can it be done?

An example would be in Google Maps when you allow the system to make a route, and then modify it by clicking on the line and dragging to a different road.

Am I missing the obvious?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
There's a great Delorme user forum that can help:: http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?s...ed4c3f68a1887b

Delorme's software is powerful, and there is a steep learning curve. I liked using it and my PN-40, but the lack routable maps of anywhere outside the US, Canada and Mexico forced me to replace the unit with a Garmin 62s and Garmin Basecamp.

Stick with it.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 03:32 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote