Oddometer: 120
I know it's not a scooter but I think I'm in love

Just look: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ive-video.html
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Whatever floats your boat but I'll pass.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Whatever floats your boat but I'll pass.
If it doesn't lean into the curves, it's just a transportation appliance so I'll pass too.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
How does that thing pass DOT regulation with no airbags, no crumple zone, no roll cage, etc.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
How does that thing pass DOT regulation with no airbags, no crumple zone, no roll cage, etc.
It is probably classified as a motorcycle, in which case it doesn't have to follow auto safety requirements. Notice they wear helmets while riding in it and the video mentioned there's room behind the seat for helmets too..

This feels a bit like a side by side Can Am, another vehicle that answers a question that no one is asking.

If it had all weather protection, could squeeze huge MPG out of a tank of gas, then you might find an audience, but it looks like they are primarily highlighting the hot performance aspect of it, which I admit I don't get. Others might, so not condemning, just don't see a niche that it fills...

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
It is probably classified as a motorcycle, in which case it doesn't have to follow auto safety requirements. Notice they wear helmets while riding in it and the video mentioned there's room behind the seat for helmets too..

This feels a bit like a side by side Can Am, another vehicle that answers a question that no one is asking.

If it had all weather protection, could squeeze huge MPG out of a tank of gas, then you might find an audience, but it looks like they are primarily highlighting the hot performance aspect of it, which I admit I don't get. Others might, so not condemning, just don't see a niche that it fills...
I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Its in Hacks.

A couple of months ago I took a little trip into Oklahoma and Arkansas. I was surprised at the number of Can Ams I saw on the road. Apparently it answers a question a lot of people were asking. Surprised me too.

The Slingshot is a 3 wheel Aerial Atom at 2/5ths the price. Or a modern Morgan. Not something I'm going to buy, but I think its cool none the less.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Its in Hacks.

A couple of months ago I took a little trip into Oklahoma and Arkansas. I was surprised at the number of Can Ams I saw on the road. Apparently it answers a question a lot of people were asking. Surprised me too.

The Slingshot is a 3 wheel Aerial Atom at 2/5ths the price. Or a modern Morgan. Not something I'm going to buy, but I think its cool none the less.
I'm definitely a fan of things pushing the transport envelope- I posted an update in a thread further down about the Elio: http://on.aol.com/video/translogic-1...tors-518316285

This to me seemed to have merit at least on the small/energy efficient side of the 'is it a car/is it a motorcycle' discussion. As many have posted before the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing. I've seen a couple Can Ams in Georgia, but far more Harley & Goldwing trikes. I don't understand the attraction to those any better except in situations where the rider has disabilities. Frankly, at that point I'd go for a convertible car and get the wind in my hair when I want it and weather protection when needed. Yeah, I guess my age is showing

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
[QUOTE=Dabears;24716948]It is probably classified as a motorcycle, in which case it doesn't have to follow auto safety requirements. Notice they wear helmets while riding in it and the video mentioned there's room behind the seat for helmets too..

Agree.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Yes...classified as a motorcycle, which means that the many design requirements for automobiles do not apply:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/933/18...de-Review.aspx

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ive-video.html

Subjectively, I don't consider it a motorcycle, but I think it's a good idea, nonetheless. The CanAm Spyder has been a great success, despite its initial teething problems. Those of us who ride two wheels are not the direct marketing targets for either of these vehicles, but both offer a more open-air, visceral, motorcycle-like ride than a mere convertible automobile.

It may not be my cup of tea now, but looking down the road, I can foresee a time when I won't be able to run two wheels anymore...I'm glad that the manufacturers are making an effort to give me something that will still be a thrill to get in and go with, rather than forcing me to resign myself to imprisonment in a cage.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
snip

It may not be my cup of tea now, but looking down the road, I can foresee a time when I won't be able to run two wheels anymore...I'm glad that the manufacturers are making an effort to give me something that will still be a thrill to get in and go with, rather than forcing me to resign myself to imprisonment in a cage.

That's the ticket. With almost 13000 Americans reaching retirement age every day the market for these will increase. Add in those like myself with progressive disabilities and the market is there.

Be. Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
In don't get it. It is not a motorcycle. It costs as much as a new Miata, a far more practical vehicle (never thought I'd say that about a Miata) and should be just as much fun. I like the lack of nanny type safety features, but $25,000 is a bit much to pay for a glorified go kart. On the other hand, people are lining up to pay $30K for new Goldwings, and another $10K to convert them into trikes.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
People are asking, three wheelers are becoming more popular as our population ages.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
On the other hand, people are lining up to pay $30K for new Goldwings, and another $10K to convert them into trikes.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Nd2Roam
Charleston, WV

Oddometer: 387
This is the tricycle I've been wanting since I was 3. It looks like a lot of fun and something new to try. I'm not a big fan of the wheeled snowmobiles but I like the steering wheel, side by side and low slung stance of this thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Frankly, at that point I'd go for a convertible car and get the wind in my hair when I want it and weather protection when needed. Yeah, I guess my age is showing
That's been my thought also. I also agree with JerryH about the Miata. All these big trikes that cost 30-35,000. I think I'd just get a Miata and leave the helmet at home. But to each his own. OTOH if I did get a trike, I'd prefer one with 2 wheels in front. You know its gotta steer better than one with two big wheels pushing a skinny, single front tire.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote