User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,387
My winter project.

Although we do have the weather to ride year round here in Alabama, the cold does put a damper on things. So I decided to start a project that I have been thinking about for some time now. That project is to dig out all my old photos, scan and organize them and put together a ride report starting back in the late 60s when I first became interested in motorcycles. This is going to take much longer than I first thought as I keep finding more pics. Digging out those old pics is really taking me on a trip down memory lane.

The content is mostly motorcycle but there is some scooter content. The link to my report which I titled "You Only Live Twice."

I got the title from one of my favorite old songs:

">

And a pic as a teaser:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I almost forgot, here's a link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042598

Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Although we do have the weather to ride year round here in Alabama, the cold does put a damper on things. So I decided to start a project that I have been thinking about for some time now. That project is to dig out all my old photos, scan and organize them and put together a ride report starting back in the late 60s when I first became interested in motorcycles. This is going to take much longer than I first thought as I keep finding more pics. Digging out those old pics is really taking me on a trip down memory lane.

The content is mostly motorcycle but there is some scooter content. The link to my report which I titled "You Only Live Twice."

I got the title from one of my favorite old songs:

">

And a pic as a teaser:

Oh my .......
You just brought me back to those carefree days of my youth. I was king of my hill with my Trail 70!

Love it !

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 124
I love those days. We were not without our problems back then, Viet Nam, Equal Rights and the like, but I think the times were better then than they are now. I would like to be stuck back in a time bubble. I'm looking forward to seeing your winter project when it's complete. I hope you post it up in total here!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerCo View Post
I love those days. We were not without our problems back then, Viet Nam, Equal Rights and the like, but I think the times were better then than they are now. I would like to be stuck back in a time bubble. I'm looking forward to seeing your winter project when it's complete. I hope you post it up in total here!
My project is in the Day Trippin section. The link is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042598

The way things are going it may take a month or more to complete. I got up to the beginning of 1986 and then found some more old pics (before 1986) so I'm going back and adding them in.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Wife has a candy apple red 1969 CT70. She bought from her brother in 1975 to ride at school paid $100 still has it
Paid 3k to have restored to new. Will never part with it
t6pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Very good.
Winter has it's uses.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Very good.
Winter has it's uses.
I timed this project well. It's 20 degrees right now and the forecast for the next 10 days doesn't look good.

This ride report is going really well, better than any of my previous reports. I am getting a lot of positive feedback. A big thank you to all who have responded and contributed. I have also been able to re-connect with 2 people from my past. I'm hoping for more.

The best thing about this report for me however is that I am getting to relive some fantastic memories from my past. As I do this it makes me realize just how lucky I have been to have been able to live the life I led.

Well, back to work, I have another chapter of my life to relive and document.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Chillis
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,933
The ride report is great! The places in CA that you have gone I had not heard of before.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 424
Thank you Klavaitor. I am a little older than you but the bikes you are sharing with us in your "other thread" also bring back a lot of memories for me. I am thinking about doing something like this myself. My only problem is that almost all of my pictures were taken by a tornado some years ago. I will have to source pictures of all of my early motorcycles from the internet.

Oh, I am prior service too. Not Navy, but a Marine and I was enlisted too (I was a Staff Seargent when I got out after almost 9 years of active duty. But I did (and do) ride motorcycles. Motorcycles have been a part of my life since I was 11.

I am on post 90 in your other thread as I write this. You are a pretty good story teller. Mrs. K is a pretty woman btw. Married 30 years huh? I got you there. My wife and I will be married 35 years here in a month. Still going strong. I love her as much today as I did when I married her.

Doug (in Kentucky)

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
Thank you Klavaitor. I am a little older than you but the bikes you are sharing with us in your "other thread" also bring back a lot of memories for me. I am thinking about doing something like this myself. My only problem is that almost all of my pictures were taken by a tornado some years ago. I will have to source pictures of all of my early motorcycles from the internet.

Oh, I am prior service too. Not Navy, but a Marine and I was enlisted too (I was a Staff Seargent when I got out after almost 9 years of active duty. But I did (and do) ride motorcycles. Motorcycles have been a part of my life since I was 11.

I am on post 90 in your other thread as I write this. You are a pretty good story teller. Mrs. K is a pretty woman btw. Married 30 years huh? I got you there. My wife and I will be married 35 years here in a month. Still going strong. I love her as much today as I did when I married her.

Doug (in Kentucky)
Thank you Doug for your service. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your old pics to a tornado. That is something that I have always feared; having all my pics destroyed by some disaster. One of the benefits of this project is that all the pics that I scan and download on to Photobucket will be protected from that. At least I hope they are. I guess that wherever photobucket stores these pics could be destroyed.

Congrats also on 35 yrs of marriage. I'm actually only at 28.5. It has however been over 30 years since we met.

This project will take much longer than I expected. I started the ride report nearly 2 weeks ago. I got my first bike in 1980 and so far have only made it to 1986. Oh Well, the weather sucks right now and this gives me something motorcycle related to work on. I haven't gone riding in over a week.

So far there has only been motorcycle content in my report but there will be some scooter content coming up before too long.

Here's a teaser:

Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

My winter project will soon turn into my spring project as it is taking much longer than I expected. After 5 weeks I'm only up to 1989. And now that spring has sprung I'll be out riding more and working this less. Thank you to those who have responded and contributed.

A pic taken in 1989 from my thread:

Although it is more work than I had planned it is fun reliving those old memories.