Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
mouserat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Nova Scotia on a 50cc?

Hi all,
I posted this in the trip planning section, but since this is scooter specific question, I thought maybe some folks here might have some more pertinent experience...

I have a 50cc scooter (top speed 45 mph) and I'm planning to ride from the Boston area up to and around NS this summer. I'm wondering if I'm likely to encounter difficulties staying off fast highways. The primary goal of the trip will be some un-rushed exploration and R and R. I don't have any specific destinations and plan to camp as much as possible. I want some alone time on the road and in the woods. Puttering around on a 50cc seems like the way to go, but I don't want to unwittingly put myself in any sticky situations.

In particular, I'm concerned that there is only one road to get onto Cape Breton Island, and it appears to be a highway. Does anyone know how fast traffic travels there? Should I plan to ride the shoulder? From looking at a detailed road atlas, it also looks like it might be difficult to avoid highways completely once I'm on the island. Should I plan to skip CB altogether? That would be a shame because the Cabot Trail sounds fantastic.

While I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good (slow) route(s) from Boston area to Portland? I'm planning to catch the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth, and as of right now, it looks like rte 1 and 1A might be the best way to go, though I'd like to avoid the strip malls on rte 1 if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been lurking here for quite some time and this board is a true wealth of information!
mouserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
What kind of scooter? Bring tools!
Culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
csisfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Done it before.

https://youtu.be/yc-1h4NkayU?t=116

You cannot skip Cape Breton! It is the epitome of Nova Scotia riding, especially towards the northern national park lands. I'd say you'll do fine just keeping to the side of the road. Car density is really low so you won't be too much of an obstruction.

And Nova Scotians are very nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserat View Post
Hi all,
I posted this in the trip planning section, but since this is scooter specific question, I thought maybe some folks here might have some more pertinent experience...

I have a 50cc scooter (top speed 45 mph) and I'm planning to ride from the Boston area up to and around NS this summer. I'm wondering if I'm likely to encounter difficulties staying off fast highways. The primary goal of the trip will be some un-rushed exploration and R and R. I don't have any specific destinations and plan to camp as much as possible. I want some alone time on the road and in the woods. Puttering around on a 50cc seems like the way to go, but I don't want to unwittingly put myself in any sticky situations.

In particular, I'm concerned that there is only one road to get onto Cape Breton Island, and it appears to be a highway. Does anyone know how fast traffic travels there? Should I plan to ride the shoulder? From looking at a detailed road atlas, it also looks like it might be difficult to avoid highways completely once I'm on the island. Should I plan to skip CB altogether? That would be a shame because the Cabot Trail sounds fantastic.

While I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good (slow) route(s) from Boston area to Portland? I'm planning to catch the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth, and as of right now, it looks like rte 1 and 1A might be the best way to go, though I'd like to avoid the strip malls on rte 1 if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been lurking here for quite some time and this board is a true wealth of information!
csisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
mouserat OP
Adventurer

Culcune - 2014 Piaggio Fly 50 4t. I'm on it with the tools, but there's a dealer in Halifax so no matter what happens, I don't think I'll be completely SOL.

That looks like a great trip csisfun! It's heartening to hear that someone's done it. People seem to have this idea that I'm planning something crazy, but I've done plenty of long distance travel and I think riding a pedal bike across the US was much harder. You also have me thinking that I should go to Newfoundland too.... if only I had more than two weeks!

mouserat screwed with this post 05-06-2015 at 08:01 PM
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,127
Unlike the USA in Canada as long as it does 45 MPG or 70 K it's legal . If you ve got room you may get away with riding on the side . At least one couple took a c3 Yamaha down the 1 hwy for 1000 K like that since they couldn't stay off it . Plus Nova Scotia I feel is not going to be like trying that in other parts of canada. It far more wide open I think and far less traffic . The only danger I feel is deer , moose etc. Don't drive near dawn or dask . I would throw it out that you should have more then a good supply of tire patching stuff just to be on the save side. maybe get 2 camping stove fuel bottles etc to keep a supply of gas in . I say go for it . I think you ll find that people there are kind , open to being nice . Like all Canada we ll even say sorry before we shot you . LOL . If you dont have AAA etc get yourself a AMA membership 50 bucks ( need auto renew ) and they throw in towing http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join . Consider getting the block tread style tires for the trip because some road I think are not paved at all.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
When will you be around NS? I'm planning a trip there next month actually. Should be there mid June.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
mouserat OP
Adventurer

My tentative departure dates are either June 22nd or June 29th, and only because the ferry is much cheaper on weekdays in June. I've got two weeks of vacation days so if I capture the July 4th weekend, I can slip an extra three days of travel in there. On the way home, I plan to go overland through New Brunswick and visit some friends in Maine.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,127
One more thing if you haven't thought of it US money is 17 % exchange. or 117 give or take a little per $100 bucks. Gone are the days 2 years ago when it was 79 cent US per Canadian buck.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #9
savit260
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
There really aren't any great alternatives on the North/South route from Boston to Portland other than Rt 1. Not a real pleasant ride IMO.

The only other decent North/South route would be 125 to 202 that would get you just west of Portland.

It's kind of a roundabout way, but it will certainly be better than the cluster that is Rt 1 from Kittery to Portland. Getting through Biddiford Me is just awful and time consuming.

I'd consider Rt 1 to Seabook N.H. then take Rt 107 North to Kingston N.H. to 125 North to 202 East in Rochester N.H. From Gorham Me. you should be able to cut over to Portland with no problems.
savit260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
mouserat OP
Adventurer

Good looks savit! After tinkering with the map a bit, it seems like there are several alternatives just east of 125/202 if I want to get real serious about back roads. Google maps is estimating about 140 miles or 4 hours. I think if I leave early and give myself the whole day, it should be a doable trip on my little scoot.

I'm very happy about the exchange rate. That (and wanting to ride) are the main reasons I chose to go to Canada rather than Italy for vacation this year.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
mouserat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Consider getting the block tread style tires for the trip because some road I think are not paved at all.
Can you recommend a particular style or brand? I'm curious about new tires, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. It seems like being able to do dirt road or off road riding would really open up my options in NS.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
everready
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Can you recommend a particular style or brand? I'm curious about new tires, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. It seems like being able to do dirt road or off road riding would really open up my options in NS.
I was there in '13. The only unpaved section we rode on was 8 miles to Meat Cove. Just go man, you'll have a blast.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 1,115
I don't think riding around Cape Breton will be a problem at all! The "highway" does not resemble a US "Freeway" or Interstate, and there are shoulders and places to pull over often if you want. There are also places where there are roads that parallel the highway (some are dirt/gravel). It is beautiful and worth the effort to visit!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
mouserat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by everready View Post
I was there in '13. The only unpaved section we rode on was 8 miles to Meat Cove. Just go man, you'll have a blast.
Really? I'd like to go to Cape Chigneto and according to the road atlas I have, it's only accessible by dirt roads. The atlas is also littered with spiderwebs of dirt roads off of all the main routes. I'm thinking that if stealth camping is on the agenda, it would be good to have those options.

Also, can anyone advise Re: tent vs. hammock? I have both, but I'd really prefer to just bring the hammock and avoid dealing with the tent pole altogether. Plus it's more comfortable. I'm just concerned that I'll have trouble finding suitable places to set it up, especially on the coast.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
savit260
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Good looks savit! After tinkering with the map a bit, it seems like there are several alternatives just east of 125/202 if I want to get real serious about back roads. Google maps is estimating about 140 miles or 4 hours. I think if I leave early and give myself the whole day, it should be a doable trip on my little scoot.

Route 108 into Dover , then Route 4 is another option. I know a few other ways that aren't posted routes that run East of rt 95 but it's a bit more complex.
Not sure how familiar you are with Southern NH, but keep in mind, anything that uses Route 16 is going to be out of the question. That's fast divided highway where 50cc machines are prohibited.

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to shoot me a pm.
savit260 is offline   Reply With Quote