User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Yamaha c3.. why not popular?

I been reading about this scooter.. It looks very metro. But it has some nice features. FI, gets 120mpg!!!!, huge compartment for storage. But why i dont see them on the roads?

Im kind of thinking of getting a scooter, and i think this one with the 120mpg gets a huge advantage!
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
If you like it so much, then how come no pic???
Attached Images

wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 292
Well, nobody really believes Yamaha's MPG claims. They are ideal world, not real world. (in a year and 2800+ miles, not a single tank has netted me the 96mpg claimed for my Vino 125 - I think 86-87 has been my best, and it's rare).

That's not to say the C3 wouldn't do better than other 4-stroke 50s, since FI would be an advantage, but having ridden a 4-stroke 50 for a few years ('04 Honda Metro), I can say from experience that you'd probably have be at WOT constantly to get anywhere.

Really, though, if I were to buy or recommend a 4-stroke 50, the C3 would be on a shortlist. I like it's weird looks and that storage is great, although from what I understand it's really shallow - too shallow for a full or 3/4 helmet - so actually putting things it in might take some fiddling.

To answer your question, I have no idea why it isn't popular. Steve from the Scooter Scoop liked it pretty well: http://thescooterscoop.blogspot.com/...yamaha-c3.html
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I had one, and loved it. I only sold it because I wanted to be able to carry a passenger and found a Vino 125 for sale really cheap, and the C3 went to pay for the Vino.

I consistently got over 100mpg, usually around 105mpg, give or take a bit. (I got close to 120 the one tank of gas where I kept the speed under 35mph.) The underseat storage is great; it's a shape that works really well for real-world items (like beer and milk and books and auto parts) that you might pick up on your errands -- you can even fit a whole baguette in there with room to spare.

It's a bigger scooter, physically, than the Vino 50 or the Hondas (Ruckus and Metropolitan) -- my knees and feet fit great on the C3, but not on the other 50cc scooters.

The only downsides that I can think of are that the floorboards aren't flat (the gas cap is in the middle), so you can't carry some heavy items across the floorboards like you can on the Vino or on the Ruckus a lot of scooters have rounded floorboards, which I think is a real functionality mistake on a scooter. And maintenance is complicated, because the engine is so high-tech. A lot of parts have to come off for some routine jobs; on the other hand, the service intervals are really long, and I would expect that engine to last a long time.

I don't know what they are selling for now, but I rode mine for a year and sold it for not a lot less than I had paid for it new. So they seem to be keeping their value pretty well.

I've seen a few people riding them two-up, which I did once around the block and the poor scooter is really overloaded with the extra weight. And I saw one guy with a big pile of camping gear on the back, looking like he might be touring on it, but I didn't get to ask him about it.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
ritchj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
...because some of us are waiting for the 150 Quart Coleman version
ritchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
They haven't left on their long journey yet, but this is going to be 2-up with way too much gear across a big chunk of Canada on a C3:
http://scootercanada.weebly.com/index.html
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
They haven't left on their long journey yet, but this is going to be 2-up with way too much gear across a big chunk of Canada on a C3:
http://scootercanada.weebly.com/index.html

Very cool! We are starting to see alot of people touring on small scooters lately!!!
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchj
...because some of us are waiting for the 150 Quart Coleman version
Wait no longer my friend, your day has come:
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Joel mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Great scoot

I bought one for my son this spring, he loves it. He has been getting around 105-110mpg.

We looked at Zumas, Ruckus, vino50 hands down this one has the most leg room to streach out on. The rest besides the ruckus just seam to cramped, plus the storage is great.

We pick this over the ruckus for 2 reasons:
1.) Fuel injection-runs flawlessly

2.)lockable storage-book bags fit in here with room to spare.

Oil change takes about 15 minutes. will run 40-42mph on the dreammeter.

Nothing bad to say about it, would love to see him move up to a Zuma 125 when they start showing up, we'll see.
Joel mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Tin Cup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I'm considering one of these. I happened to see one at lunch and left a note on it asking the owner to call me with their impressions.

I'm 6'-3" and 210 with a nine mile commute. Five miles of this is on a pretty level two lane road with a 45-50 mph traffic (although it does have a nice bike lane). Am I crazy for considering a 50cc scooter?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I love the idea of FI and 4 stroke engine. But... I always carry a passenger. The C3 can't do it and my Zuma handles that very well. Also the storage of the C3 is claimed to be 9 gallons and the zuma is like 4.5, but.. the C3 storage is laid out in such a way that it's not as practical as the Zuma's 4.5. Take a look under the seat of C3 and you'll see what I mean. The Zuma is perfect for my around town trips. I would like to get a 125 Zuma but will wait until they have FI like the C3. -Jason
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Cup
I'm considering one of these. I happened to see one at lunch and left a note on it asking the owner to call me with their impressions.

I'm 6'-3" and 210 with a nine mile commute. Five miles of this is on a pretty level two lane road with a 45-50 mph traffic (although it does have a nice bike lane). Am I crazy for considering a 50cc scooter?
Size-wise you should fit fine -- I'm only a few pounds lighter and an inch taller, and it moved me around just fine.

But it tops out at an indicated 43 or so, which is kind of slow if everyone else is going 50mph. Depending on how heavy traffic is on that road, or how comfortable you are with moving over into the bike lane to let cars by, you might be happier on a slightly faster scooter. And uphills mean slower speeds, of course -- 43 is on level or slightly downhill roads, with no headwinds.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
Wait no longer my friend, your day has come:
what does he carry his Klondike bars with him wherever he goes? -Jason
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun
I would like to get a 125 Zuma but will wait until they have FI like the C3. -Jason

I believe the Zuma 125 is Fuel Injected:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...08/0/home.aspx

p.s. your avatar is funny
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I been reading about this scooter.. It looks very metro. But it has some nice features. FI, gets 120mpg!!!!, huge compartment for storage. But why i dont see them on the roads?

Im kind of thinking of getting a scooter, and i think this one with the 120mpg gets a huge advantage!
I think if they made the C3 as a 125cc or a 150cc scoot like that, that had room for two, it'd have made a bigger dent. But the combination of it's vacuum cleaner-attached-to-a-cooler looks and it's limited functionality kind of blew it out of the water. The storage is long and holds alot, but surprisingly, it's not too deep. You can't even fit a full-faced helmet in there. I know that's probably not the priority of most of the ppl who'd have bought it, but it kind of surprised me. I would believe 110~120mpg from the 50cc scoot.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote