Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
alexsupreme OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Looking for a better scoot

Hi guys!

I've been quietly browsing the forum for several months and although there's a lot of info out there about the different scooters, I still have hard time deciding about my next purchase.
I sincerely apologize for the wall of text.

I'll try to explain the situation and hope some of you might be able to help me.

Currently, I'm a pretty satisfied owner of a 2010 xmax 250.
I mostly drive around town where the xmax does a remarkably fine job.
A couple times a week I do 15-30 miles trip on the highway which requires me to keep the xmax on 7k rpm doing 75mph.
Although the scooter can keep up, it's not a pleasant ride and it starts shaking and rattling around 70 mph.

Overall, I have been doing my daily commuting with it for quite a while and it is manageable, however I have been looking around for a suitable replacement.
It is important for me to have at least some city maneuverability (lane splitting and such) and hopefully gain enough power to hold 75-80 mph without any noticeable discomfort.

Now comes the hard part.

I am from Israel so there are some limitations.
I am looking for something around 4400$, I can stretch it a bit or save for a while if necessary.
I made a list of all my options including prices, so it's just a matter of picking the best one for my needs:

Downtown 300i - I can get one from 2011 with 15k miles for about 3500$. The build quality is ok but it looks bland. quite frankly, it's not the most attractive option.
Nexus 500 - I've been eying this one for quite a while and not just as a viable option but also due to the attractive looks and the great reviews regarding it's handling. There are a few 2010 models for about 5800$. Is it worth saving for?
Nexus 300 - Looks almost the same as the 500 sibling. I'm not 100% sure about the differences but what puts me off about it is the 22hp engine. My current ride is 20 and I doubt the nexus will improve the ride that much.
It is however, cheaper and has a larger holding capacity.
Xciting 500 - A pretty hulking mass of a scooter. There are a few 2010 and 2011 models which fit my budget but the reviews aren't flattering and it looks just too massive for the town.
BV500 - I am yet to find one in good condition. Almost every one I find is back from 2005 with at least 30k miles on it. Overall I heard good things about it (Especially from this forum).
BV300 - 22hp is just not enough to sail the highways.
Xevo 400 - The ergonomics of it seem a bit off, especially the pillion seat but since I haven't tried it I don't really know. There are unfortunately only models from 2012 and they go for 5k$. If it's actually worth it, I might be able to stretch the budget a bit.
Burger/Maxsym 400 - I did find a few which fit my budget (from 2008-9, mind you) but I had a short ride on the burgman and it is quite massive for the town. I might get used to it but I can hardly imagine myself hulking it around town.
Majesty 400 - It doesn't feel as big as the burgman, but it's about as wide as one. I did read some good reviews and got some good recommendations but I'm just afraid that it's not narrow enough to be as viable.
Xmax 400 - too new. (A new one costs 12500$ here).
Forza nss - Such an attractive two wheeler, if I could afford it, I wouldn't be opening this topic. (New one goes for 11300$)
Tmax - Lets put it this way; it got so popular around the country, a 2007 model goes for 7.3k$ A new one (2014) sells here roughly for 23400$
NOT an option.

Those are the more or less viable options I found.
If you have any other suggestions or perhaps any other models which I should specifically look for, I would love to hear.
This entire idea of moving to a better scooter is rather greedy, the xmax works pretty well and rolls around doing decent MPG and maintenance costs.

Additional thing to consider is the insurance costs. Around here you have 2 types of insurances. 50-250cc goes for 1300$ a year and 250cc+ goes for 1900$ a year. It is something I can afford but I wouldn't want to spend that much for a miniscule improvement.

I apologize again for the wall of text, I know that this is usually not the kind of topics you come around and I would appreciate every piece of info.
I would gladly answer any questions you have.

Thanks!
(Forgive me for my grammar. English is not my main language)
alexsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
There's no problem with your English...however, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You've named a number of very good machines which are capable of doing what you need them to do...some I don't know, because they're not available here in the US.

The choice of a scooter is a very individual and personal matter which depends upon many factors...some practical and some very subjective and emotionally driven. Moreover, I'm guessing that riding and road conditions in Israel are likely to be different from what we have here in the US, for example, making it hard for others outside Israel to anticipate what might work best there. My opinion therefore probably doesn't mean much. The best machine for me here on the west coast of the US is likely to be very different from yours and based on different criteria.

I'd say your best bet is to go sit on the scooters you've named, ride them if you can, and figure out which one works the best for you.

Maybe we can be of assistance if you have specific questions about individual makes and models...
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
All I know is that my Israeli friend finds his Vespa GTS the perfect scoot for his needs. Most of the ones you name I haven't even heard of so I can't comment on your options.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
alexsupreme OP
Adventurer

I'll try to be more clear. I simply put down every little consideration I had.

I'm mixed between three models at the moment:

Yamaha Majesty 400.
Gilera nexus 300 (Might also be known as Aprilia SR MAX).
Gilera nexus 500.

I know that the majesty can handle everything I can imagine throwing at it, my problem with it is that it seems a little wide.

I'm considering the nexus for it's handling and looks. I don't have any experience with big thumpers and I'm afraid the shaking would be unbearable on a 3-4 year old machine.

I will probably go and try out the sr max, since they are available at the local dealer but the majesty is no longer in production and has been replaced by Xmax 400 so testing it around is no longer an option unfortunately.

Don't take the road quality or anything else into comparison. Just for yourself, if you had the choice between those two, which one would you choose for driving in town and occasionally going on the highway/interstate?

I added some pictures for comparison.
Thank you :)

Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
If you are looking for feedback on looks and suitability of purpose, based purely on your question: "Don't take the road quality or anything else into comparison. Just for yourself, if you had the choice between those two, which one would you choose for driving in town and occasionally going on the highway/interstate?" I would probably go with the Nexus 300, for three reasons:

1) Smaller/lighter footprint, so more to the purpose you intend
2) More upright riding position- based on the two photos the Nexus has a seating position that I prefer rather than the more relaxed position of the Yamaha (this is a personal preference only)
3) I simply prefer the look of the Nexus over the Yamaha. 100% subjective

Review looks good. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...k/22255-3.html

With 22.5 HP and 85 mph top speed this should be suitable for just about anything you throw at it.

Two caveats- if you need lots of storage, you need to consider that in your purchase. I also have no idea what the dealer support network looks like in Israel for either, so you must take that into consideration- the best scooter in the world with lousy dealer support may be problematic. If you've balanced those issues, then go with whichever suits your wallet and your riding style. Best of luck with your decision. Let us know what you end up getting.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Honda Helix

I've got two. One with 65698 miles. They are the BEST. Had a 400 Burgman. Helix much simpler to work on. Good used ones all over in the $2500 range.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
alexsupreme OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
If you are looking for feedback on looks and suitability of purpose, based purely on your question: "Don't take the road quality or anything else into comparison. Just for yourself, if you had the choice between those two, which one would you choose for driving in town and occasionally going on the highway/interstate?" I would probably go with the Nexus 300, for three reasons:

1) Smaller/lighter footprint, so more to the purpose you intend
2) More upright riding position- based on the two photos the Nexus has a seating position that I prefer rather than the more relaxed position of the Yamaha (this is a personal preference only)
3) I simply prefer the look of the Nexus over the Yamaha. 100% subjective

Review looks good. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...k/22255-3.html

With 22.5 HP and 85 mph top speed this should be suitable for just about anything you throw at it.

Two caveats- if you need lots of storage, you need to consider that in your purchase. I also have no idea what the dealer support network looks like in Israel for either, so you must take that into consideration- the best scooter in the world with lousy dealer support may be problematic. If you've balanced those issues, then go with whichever suits your wallet and your riding style. Best of luck with your decision. Let us know what you end up getting.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!
There's not a lot of dealer support going around here, it's more a question of finding a reliable garage.

I found both the nexus 500 and the nexus 300 going for roughly the same amount. I wondered if the 500 would be more stable and less vibrating when riding 80mph (on the speedo)?
The nexus 500 utilizes the same engine as the BV500, so if anyone here rides one, how does it behave on the highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I've got two. One with 65698 miles. They are the BEST. Had a 400 Burgman. Helix much simpler to work on. Good used ones all over in the $2500 range.
Which one is it? The majesty or the nexus?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

I ride a BV500. It does very well on the freeway...maintaining freeway speeds in the midst of high speed traffic here in California is no problem.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,556
Wow. Things sure are different in Israel. I have 3 motorcycles and 2 scooters, all 5 of them together are insured for around $250 a year. I could insure a 250cc scooter by itself for around $50 a year.

The speed limit on my states interstate highways is mostly 75 mph, but I ride on them all the time at 50-60 mph, with no problems.

The difference in insurance alone would prevent me from going over 250cc. Just out of curiosity, what are gas prices like there?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
alexsupreme OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wow. Things sure are different in Israel. I have 3 motorcycles and 2 scooters, all 5 of them together are insured for around $250 a year. I could insure a 250cc scooter by itself for around $50 a year.

The speed limit on my states interstate highways is mostly 75 mph, but I ride on them all the time at 50-60 mph, with no problems.

The difference in insurance alone would prevent me from going over 250cc. Just out of curiosity, what are gas prices like there?
We get a 20% discount on the second+ insured vehicle so your garage insurance would only cost me about 7k$ a year

The insurance is mandatory so you see a lot of 125cc - 250cc scoots out here, especially in congested areas. The prices are almost hilarious, mainly because the tax law hasn't been changed for a few decades. For example: CBR250R costs new 11800$.
1 galon of 95 gas would go for 8.65$ (1 litre for 2.29$).

It's just as bad for the cars. The most basic Toyota Corolla model goes for 36405$. It's the same for housing, groceries and all your daily needs.
The average salary is about 28k$ a year, which isn't the worst.
I can go on and on, but I think it's enough ranting for now ;)

Driving itself is also rather dangerous. The roads are packed during the day during work days so you get to go around 100kmh (90 +/- actual) on the highway (90kmh is the legal limit) but on the weekends I often find myself peaking out due to excessive vibrations around 120-125kmh on the clock, on the right lane and the cars are still zooming by.

Overall, you don't get to drive extremely long distances. From north to south, Israel is about 260 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I ride a BV500. It does very well on the freeway...maintaining freeway speeds in the midst of high speed traffic here in California is no problem.
Can you tell me a bit about the engine and how vibey is it? I heard from some people that those 400+cc thumpers get very vibey while waiting for the traffic light or on low speeds.

alexsupreme screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 03:58 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

I've got both a BV 500 and Scarabeo 500. I've cruised comfortably for hundreds of miles a day at 70-95mph for multiple days. The engine handles it extremely well and the scoots handle well at slow speeds as well. I do find the Scarabeo more comfortable for long distances because its seat is so much more comfortable and the suspension a bit more. Like Dabears I would prefer the seating position of the Nexus over the Majesty but I wouldn't get either since the "step through" is too high on both of them for my personal preference. The more traditional style scooters fit me much better. I can ride double the miles on my Scarabeo than I could on the Burgman 400 we used to own without back pain.
Buddy 125
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

I think CD summed it up nicely.

"Can you tell me a bit about the engine and how vibey is it? I heard from some people that those 400+cc thumpers get very vibey while waiting for the traffic light or on low speeds."

Any large bore (> 350cc) single cylinder engine is going to vibrate a bit. I don't think the vibration on the BV500 is excessive or annoying, but it is present. I notice it mostly at idle or while waiting at stops. It's not intrusive or offensive TO ME. I like big bore singles and the vibration, to me, just adds character.

It seems you might be a bit sensitive to vibration. Not sure why, but it underscores what I said earlier, which is that no one can decide for you whether, for example, the vibration on the Piaggio 500cc single is excessive TO YOU or whether such vibration would be a deal breaker. I simply can't tell you if it's OK or too much for you. Once again, I suggest you get on down to the Nexus dealer and take the 500cc machine for a ride and decide for yourself whether YOU find it OK or excessive. Then you'll know firsthand.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
alexsupreme OP
Adventurer

I'm not against vibration but there's a difference between an engine hum which is passed to the hands and an uncomfortable full body vibration which you feel in your spine.
My friend picked me up on a bike (Unfortunately I don't remember the model) and during slow rides of 20mph, my entire body was shaking. Wasn't the most pleasant thing.

Just wondered how bad are the vibrations (assuming the scooter is in good condition)? Just character or should I expect some numb hands and shoulders at the end of the ride?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsupreme View Post
I'm not against vibration but there's a difference between an engine hum which is passed to the hands and an uncomfortable full body vibration which you feel in your spine.
My friend picked me up on a bike (Unfortunately I don't remember the model) and during slow rides of 20mph, my entire body was shaking. Wasn't the most pleasant thing.

Just wondered how bad are the vibrations (assuming the scooter is in good condition)? Just character or should I expect some numb hands and shoulders at the end of the ride?
Never felt more than a hum on a BV or Scarabeo. I've got a pair of grip puppies on the Scarabeo since often do 300-500 mile days on it but that's more for the extra padding than vibration
Buddy 125
Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Never experienced numb hands or feet on the BV. Like CD, I notice a deep hum at speed...not a vibration, really. Not annoying at all and it is rather quiet, also, so ears are not challenged.