User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,427
Multiple Monitors

I've been using a dual monitor set up for about 7 years now and even when it was just 2 1024x768 19" CRT's it made life so much easier for everything from graphic/web design to writing a paper since I could have my research material in one and the word processor on the other.

Over the years I've moved up to a 24" and 22" LCD (the 2nd is older and a more square aspect ratio so their pixel sizes are almost identical) and while you can have multiple things open in each still it would be nicer to have another one (I almost got a video card with 4 outputs with my last workstation but it would have broke the budget).

How crazy is your setup and what functionality does it give you?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
I've been using a dual monitor set up for about 7 years now and even when it was just 2 1024x768 19" CRT's it made life so much easier for everything from graphic/web design to writing a paper since I could have my research material in one and the word processor on the other.

Over the years I've moved up to a 24" and 22" LCD (the 2nd is older and a more square aspect ratio so their pixel sizes are almost identical) and while you can have multiple things open in each still it would be nicer to have another one (I almost got a video card with 4 outputs with my last workstation but it would have broke the budget).

How crazy is your setup and what functionality does it give you?
My work setup is a 4, 22" rig. It's a bit much for home use, but I have three monitoring tools which must be open 100% of the time while working, so a 4 monitor setup lets us have that, and still have one screen left over for for surfing Adv
Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj
My work setup is a 4, 22" rig. It's a bit much for home use, but I have three monitoring tools which must be open 100% of the time while working, so a 4 monitor setup lets us have that, and still have one screen left over for for surfing Adv
That is the most important part

In the future when I have some money I'll upgrade to 2 27 or 30 inch monitors to basically give all the real estate I would ever need since right now ADV is sometimes in the background under a bunch of file folders for images/content files/then the directory for my server.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,402
I'm using a IBM T43p laptop with a 15" 4:3 screen hooked to a Vizio 32" 1080p tv to watch motorcycle racing.

yooperbikemike screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 07:06 AM
yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Superfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
You want crazy??

1) I'm retired so I don't do anything useful.
2) Ive been involved with PCs since IBM started making them in the 80s.

My current set up is 2 desktops and a net book each with a LCD monitor on my desk. I got into this because I upgraded my main machine to WIN7. Much of my hardware (Scanners, trackballs,etc.) won't work with W7 or at least there were no drivers at the time.

So I hooked all that stuff to an XP machine. Since everything is networked I can access the back level hardware across the network on the XP machine.

Then I found one of the most useful apps I have ever seen. It allows One trackball and keyboard to be used on any networked PC. So i can work on all three screens and copy and paste between them from one keyboard. Even works with my digitizing pad. And it's free.

Input Director http://www.inputdirector.com/ I have no business connection with this provider.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
30" in the center, 2 24" on either side. But I do music to picture so I need the space.
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
I have a 20" iMac and use to have 2 24" Benq HD screens (1 each side).

This was too much screen real estate for my work (trading/investing) - so I went back to the iMac and one 24".

The productivity gains are awesome, especially with the Mac OS.

I have 6 virtual desktops set up, with 1 screen on left/1 screen on right:
1. finder (Mac version of windows explorer) with 3 windows open across both screens - this is my "admin" page for moving/viewing files
2. Windows running (via VMWare) on one screen (for charting/Excel only) and Safari/Google Chrome browsers on other screen - this is my "working" screen most of the time
3. Pages (Mac version of Word...kinda) on left, Textedit on right for writing
4. HTML editor on left, viewer on right for webpage publishing
5. general desktop for utility tools/iTunes/Sketchup
6. Mail on left, post it notes on right

hit the middle button on my mouse, select the virtual desktop and there you are...

My next upgrade I will get a Mac Mini and run two identical 24" or 30" screens side by side.

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,506
I'm running a Dell 24" from a Dell Latitude E4300. Seems to work well. The dock allows me to pull the laptop from the dock with out reconfiguring the extented desktop -- it a takes a second to catch-up, but seems to be flawless.

Nick -- I'm considering a MacMini -- How does it work with the non Mac monitors? Any issues? Resolution good?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Yeah no problem on the Mac Mini - the new one has two display ports now (check the apple store for specs, I cant remember off top of my head - the original Mac Mini can only do one monitor) and with the right adaptors (cheap) you can run two monitors.

Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,021
I remember seeing this pic of Terry Pratchett's set up and thinking that maybe it was a bit excessive but I wanted one anyway!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
I remember seeing this pic of Terry Pratchett's set up and thinking that maybe it was a bit excessive but I wanted one anyway!
I would be fine with 4

But to run all the stuff I want to a second quad core 2.93 GHz processor and maybe only 8 more GB of RAM for 20 total would be nice

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj
Hey, long time no see!

What do you do for work, anyway?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
I use a 15" plugged into the extra port on my 13" laptop.

Before this, when I had my desktop, I ran dual 19" CRTs. They weighed about 120 lbs together.

I can't imagine going back to a single monitor, and I don't know how people who use a computer daily go without at least a second.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
For my work, I tend to use just the laptop screen. Virtual desktops give me all the real estate I need, since I don't need to see all that much at one time, so long as I an navigate to where I need to be easily. For entertainment, I do a lot of audio work, which requires immense amounts of screen real estate. For now, I just have a 24" to go with the laptop, but I'm seriously considering a desktop mac almost entirely for the ability to drive 2x30" monitors. That's a lot of expense just for screen real estate, though. I would benefit from the larger disk and RAM capacity, but I don't actually need it.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,366
One side of my office.......

Here is the other..... I'm here till 2300!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: