http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I don't know why you guys are so worried about problems with a car tire that doesn't fit properly on a 15" MC rim, I'm sure there are lots of guys who have had wonderful sexual experiences with Lorena Bobbit!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Opinions, Opinions........

For lack of a better way to put it, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and some peope are one so which one are you Lemieuxmc?

All I was looking for is someone who has set up a hack on an Intruder 1500, and I get assholes crawling out of the cracks.

So much for getting some useful help on here, I didnt post this in the "jo momma" or the "head explody" forums, and this is what I would expect there.

Again, thank you Claude, you brought up a very valid point, and some folks go DS with 15" rims with no problems, and some do have problems.......ultimately I will have to decide if the risk is worth the gain.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,

sandsman screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 03:10 PM
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,353
If you check the forum I posted they are dedicated to darksiding and have a wealth of information including a couple of spreadsheets with specific tire applications.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

THANKS DirtyDR

Thanks for the website address, i went and read up on it alot........seems like the assholes are in full flight on this issue. I am all for getting good info then making an informed decision. I know the pros and cons on both sides now. What i was really looking for was someone who has hacked a intruder 1500 with some pics or useful info as to setting this car up on my bike.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,105
Try this http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1252718731

Or this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=intruder
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #22
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Getting an idea.......

Getting an idea of what it's gonna look like. Put the bike together yesterday, it has been sitting since Oct 2010.

Thinking I might need to paint it......well I'll hook it up first, then paint.......don't want to scratch it.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
[IMG][/IMG]

I lucked out when it comes to paint. My tub was painted by the original owner to match a Harley and I bought the tub to fit my then CB900. When I found the Voyager I couldn't believe how well the paint worked together.

Scott in Shoreview
'85 Voyager Hack
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Looks good

That matched up very good. Mine came off of a white Goldwing so I am thinking about spraying it all black......though for now, I am just going to work on installing it and getting it to work right before I worry about the paint......I have a long trip planned for July/August so I have some time to work it out.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Hardware, hardware.......

Getting a subframe made to my specs and getting the right hardware for the job has me searching high and low, plus having to do a technicle drawing for the welder to follow. It would be so much simpler if I had my own welder, cutter, and some of those expensive nessecities of a decent shop. At least this is not gonna be a detailed subframe, just a small one for under the floorboard. I am thinking that I am gonna have a heavier bracket made and welded to my frame so I can be sure of it's ability to withstand all the stresses related to bolting this to the frame. When in doubt, make it stout.......
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Getting there

I got the lower mounts all fabbed up and installed. Pulled the sidecar out in the middle of my carport and went to work on it today. I have the lower mounts all hooked up. So here is a pic of my progress.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #27
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672

The 15 on my triumph hack works really well, LOTS of soap to get her on but, 5 months and NO problems.

I had a 2000 intruder 1500 lined up for my Hedingham XL, it fell through in the end but, here, mounting the hack on the left of it would be fine, however, the exhaust is massive and likely to get in the way of the fittings I would imagine.
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Tire,

I already have the tire for the rear, that is what I'm looking for, how hard was your's to seat? The tire is going to be another project for me, I have the saddle bag mounting system for som harley hard bags on my bike and rifht now they are going to interfer with the tire install. I am going to have to redo the mounts. I also have a hidden trailer hitch hitch too, and I will have to see iff that will work too.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #29
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I already have the tire for the rear, that is what I'm looking for, how hard was your's to seat? The tire is going to be another project for me, I have the saddle bag mounting system for som harley hard bags on my bike and rifht now they are going to interfer with the tire install. I am going to have to redo the mounts. I also have a hidden trailer hitch hitch too, and I will have to see iff that will work too.
Depending on the width of your trailer, you may want to move/fabricate the hitch to at least get the edge of the trailer inline with the widest point of the bike. Check this thread for some ideas.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I'm not sure I am following what bike the hack is being installed on here - but if you are trying to bolt it up to the blue Harley - call Motorvation - I am absolutely sure they can provide you with the needed mounts, subframe etc.

It is possible to fabricate it yourself though. Years ago I mounted a Formula II to a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. Back then (we are talking 1993/1994 ish?), the Concours was not a common bike for sidecar use - but, I tracked down an experienced installer who had done it before (Claude - good chance you know of him - Vern Goodwin - great guy, very helpful). He had not done one to a Forumula II, but gave me rough sketches of the subframe he used (very rough - like back of the napkin sort of sketch). With that, an experienced welder and machinist willing to work with me (my brother in law), we got it bolted up. Once I saw his diagram, suddenly it all seems so obvious! I Put 50,000 miles on this rig before the kids got to big to ride in it, and became more interested in riding 2 up on the VFR750 I had at the time.

(pic goes waaay back - 1994)

On the topic of tires - not to fan any flames but to present an alternative.... I too did lots of research, discovered the same issues being discussed here. I ended up speaking with the president of the US Tire and Rim Association (or somesuch thing...cant recall exact name), and as pointed out 15" diameter difference is a legit concern, though commonly done. BUT in my case, I had a 16" rim. I was told by the Tire and Rim guy, that the diameter difference on the 16" is acceptable for mounting a car tire on the motorcycle rim. To address width issues, I ended up buying a reproduction vintage tire from Coker Tire - fit within the swingarm easily, was of modern construction. It mounted up easily, just like any motorcycle tire. For the front, I found a Metzler (?) SM Mk II or some such thing, that has a flat profile. So - if you can find a 16" rim to bolt up to the Harley, you should be safely able to mount it up, no concerns, no risks vs rewards issues.

I sold our rig in 2001 ish to some guy in Oregon or Washington state - I wonder if it is still around?

Enjoy the hack - our family had a blast in ours over the years. It set the stage for a life long love of street riding for my sons - now 19 and 21 years old. Now we have moved onto planning trips for the whole family, wife and I on our Triumph, and the boys each on their own bikes.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote