User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Wow

WOW, I need all the input that anyone can give. I am doing this install myself and have contacted Motorvation, it's just that they are very slow, I have been waiting for 3 weeks for some info from them. It's just one step at a time right now, luckly I had all the mounts from the install for a late model Goldwing. I was able to reuse one subframe, I had another one made, and was able to find 2 more good mounting points. I have started the alignment process, and it's kinda a pain.....but I am not for sure if I am doing it in the proper sequence. So, after a long day wrestling with it yesterday, I will start again today with a little more thought put into the process. I am used to doing detailed work, I am an aircraft mechanic, now pretty much medically retired due to an on the job accident. That is why I am going to the sidecar setup. By the way, the sidecar is being mated up to a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500, and yes, it does get mistaken for a Harley most of the time. It's shaft drive and dependable, and paid for.

Rear view of my project. The bike does have hard bags that go on it. It is gonna end up with about a 54" track and overall width of about 71 or72".
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #32
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice looking rig

BTW KTM Mike, that's a nice rig that you built up. The car that I have is pretty much like the one you had, but this one has the tilt forward front section. And it has the electric trim for the car's suspension.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #33
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
WOW, I need all the input that anyone can give. I am doing this install myself and have contacted Motorvation, it's just that they are very slow, I have been waiting for 3 weeks for some info from them. It's just one step at a time right now, luckly I had all the mounts from the install for a late model Goldwing. I was able to reuse one subframe, I had another one made, and was able to find 2 more good mounting points. I have started the alignment process, and it's kinda a pain.....but I am not for sure if I am doing it in the proper sequence. So, after a long day wrestling with it yesterday, I will start again today with a little more thought put into the process. I am used to doing detailed work, I am an aircraft mechanic, now pretty much medically retired due to an on the job accident. That is why I am going to the sidecar setup. By the way, the sidecar is being mated up to a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500, and yes, it does get mistaken for a Harley most of the time. It's shaft drive and dependable, and paid for.

Rear view of my project. The bike does have hard bags that go on it. It is gonna end up with about a 54" track and overall width of about 71 or72".
OK, I'm a relative newbie to this also but I did watch when my rig was assembled at Hannigan's shop. First, I think it is crucial that you have a level place to do the alignment. What they did was to level the bike with blocks under the sidestand using a magnetic protractor on the rear disc. At this point they had removed the body from the sidecar so they could level the frame side to side and front to back. They then attached the sidecar frame to the bike's lower mounts. There was some bending of tubes to keep everything level.
Next they set the toe in at (I think) 3/4". They used 8' fluorescent tubes to measure the alignment as they are perfectly straight and cheap! They bungie corded one tube to the rear wheel of the bike and one to the sidecar wheel. I think the toe in was measured at the bike's axles. Once that was set they tightened the lower mounts.
Next they set the bike to lean away from the car 2 degrees and assembled the upper brackets to maintain that.
This should be a good starting point, but you may need to make adjustments after you get it together.

Hope this helps you, and again, I'm far from expert, but I did pay attention to my rig's assembly.I'm sure others will come along and correct any mistakes I may have made.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for your input

I know that I don't have a level place, just gotta work with what I have, plan is get it close, then take my tools and 8 ft floresent bulbs and find a level pad. Then do the final tweaking. I have got the alignment close, still will need some work. I dont have anyone but me to help, so I didn't rmove the body from the frame. I know I needed to but you do what ya gotta. If I am not satisfied, I will have to find a way to remove it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Question

Quote:
I know that I don't have a level place, just gotta work with what I have, plan is get it close, then take my tools and 8 ft floresent bulbs and find a level pad. Then do the final tweaking. I have got the alignment close, still will need some work. I dont have anyone but me to help, so I didn't rmove the body from the frame. I know I needed to but you do what ya gotta. If I am not satisfied, I will have to find a way to remove it.
Could you get it "level enough' if you laid down a couple sheets of plywood after raking the gravel....???
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #36
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Well....

If I had a way to get the plywood.....it don't ride too good on top of the vette.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
Mr.Mellow's WildRide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Wicked

Quote:
If I had a way to get the plywood.....it don't ride too good on top of the vette.

So, just get some long sheet metal screws...........where there's a will there's a WAY.............
Mr.Mellow's WildRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #38
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:

Quoting one of the comedians routines (Larry the Cable Guy?):" Nascar drivers should use their sponsers products on their cars. The Home Depot car is struggling to maintain speed with that 4x8 sheet of plywood tied on the roof".

Get your alignment as close as you can. Once you ride it report how it handles and I'm sure you will get suggestions for tweaking the settings. Good luck and have fun.
www.earplugco.com
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #39
FR700
Hecklerô©ģ

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
. What they did was to level the bike with blocks under the sidestand using a magnetic protractor on the rear disc. At this point they had removed the body from the sidecar so they could level the frame side to side and front to back.

If you don't want to take the tub off just stick it on the frame underneath or the tubs hub/disc . Bikes rear disc takes the guesswork out of tweaked frames .

Cheap , and made in the usa .

Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #40
simitar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
OK, I'm a relative newbie to this also but I did watch when my rig was assembled at Hannigan's shop. First, I think it is crucial that you have a level place to do the alignment. What they did was to level the bike with blocks under the sidestand using a magnetic protractor on the rear disc. At this point they had removed the body from the sidecar so they could level the frame side to side and front to back. They then attached the sidecar frame to the bike's lower mounts. There was some bending of tubes to keep everything level.
Next they set the toe in at (I think) 3/4". They used 8' fluorescent tubes to measure the alignment as they are perfectly straight and cheap! They bungie corded one tube to the rear wheel of the bike and one to the sidecar wheel. I think the toe in was measured at the bike's axles. Once that was set they tightened the lower mounts.
Next they set the bike to lean away from the car 2 degrees and assembled the upper brackets to maintain that.
This should be a good starting point, but you may need to make adjustments after you get it together.

Hope this helps you, and again, I'm far from expert, but I did pay attention to my rig's assembly.I'm sure others will come along and correct any mistakes I may have made.
Did they also level the bike front to back or just side to side? If they did level it front to back, what part of bike was used for level indication?
simitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #41
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

That's the plan Stan.....

That's the plan in mind. I should be able to do the first ride maybe Tuesday or so.....the weather here in N Texas is going to be great for a couple or so days. Sunny and in the low to mid 70's.......I gotta get it together. I haven't ridden hardly at all since Oct 2010......not by choice, it's just hard to ride with a cast on, and that is what my entire riding season for 2011 consisted of. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

This is what my leg looked like on June 6, 2010, I caught a trailer tongue in the shin bone,

Then I got a botched up job by a bad doctor, and in litigation for that now.

So that was how the first doctor left me, and sent me back to work, after a week I could barely walk. The screw in the first pic above was broken. the bone he just left sticking out.......he did a terrible job.

And this is what it is like now, at least it is whole again......will never be what it once was, but at least I can walk right. That is what is driving the sidecar install. This pretty much has ended my carreer as an aircraft mechanic, and I was one of the few that really liked my job.

So believe me when I say, I want to ride, I really mean it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #42
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

Level

I am going to pick up one of those magnetic levels today. Thanks for the tip FR700.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #43
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by simitar View Post
Did they also level the bike front to back or just side to side? If they did level it front to back, what part of bike was used for level indication?
The bike had the trail extender installed with a shim added under the front spring, front was still a bit low. Rear spring at max preload. No attempt to level. The stock springs and shocks are woefully inadequate, new ones on order based on the individula weight of each wheel (truck scale) and overall rig weight. See my thread on setup for more details.
www.earplugco.com
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #44
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
That's the plan in mind. I should be able to do the first ride maybe Tuesday or so.....the weather here in N Texas is going to be great for a couple or so days. Sunny and in the low to mid 70's.......I gotta get it together. I haven't ridden hardly at all since Oct 2010......not by choice, it's just hard to ride with a cast on, and that is what my entire riding season for 2011 consisted of. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

This is what my leg looked like on June 6, 2010, I caught a trailer tongue in the shin bone,

Then I got a botched up job by a bad doctor, and in litigation for that now.

So that was how the first doctor left me, and sent me back to work, after a week I could barely walk. The screw in the first pic above was broken. the bone he just left sticking out.......he did a terrible job.

And this is what it is like now, at least it is whole again......will never be what it once was, but at least I can walk right. That is what is driving the sidecar install. This pretty much has ended my carreer as an aircraft mechanic, and I was one of the few that really liked my job.

So believe me when I say, I want to ride, I really mean it.
Dude, friggin OUCH!
www.earplugco.com
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
sandsman OP
Studly Adventurer

First Ride!!!!!

Well first ride went about like what I expected. I didn't get over 20mph. It had major wheel shake, I guess I will need to adjust the toe-in/out. It is set at 3/4" in, that must be too much. I am gonna have to adjust the preload on the shocks to the max setting. Overall, I think first ride was sucessfull.......wow, way different than just 2 wheels.

Kinda crappy cel phone pic.....