Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #46
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,000
Sandman, I find that if it's going to shake it will be under 30 mph, both before and after leading links.
cleatusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #47
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Have no leading link plans

I wasn't planning on doing that mod. I have a steering stabilizer, which might help. I am going to decrease the toe in a bit. Then I will see how that effects it. It's gonna rain gor the next 4 days and I got stepped on by a cow.......so I need a little off time.

I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #48
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Sandsman - looks like it is coming along well. the headshake is not uncommon with hacks. I used a steering stabilizer, but I do recall some of the set up did impact the shake...but I forget what had impact on the shake or not. Have you played with the axle lead? (how far the axle of sidecar is ahead of the rear axle of the bike). For some reason I am wondering if that was what had impact. It also makes the rig a bit more or less easy to turn - to far forward made it harder to turn.

When I set my rig up, I spent many many hours fine tuning the set up - took forever, but was well worth it. Properly set up, they can handle pretty decent. Not properly set up, can be a nightmare.

Oh, on the steering effort - one option is to modify the triple clamps - again, I forget the specifics, basically changing the angle impacting the amount of trail, making it easier to steer. there used to be a company that did that work - or had kits or somthing (not the full forks, just the clamps).

The adjustable lean you have is fantastic - mine was the manual lever - I always wanted to install the electric but never got around to it.

Keep us posted!

Oh...by the way - some NASTY X-rays! Yikes....hurts just to look at them!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #49
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Axle lead.

Thank you KTM Mike for your tips, I am going to try not to modify the steering head if at all possible. I used 12 inches of axle lead, since the Intruder is a long bike. I really dont want to go back to square one, If all else fails, I have a sidecar shop about 25 miles from here and I'll take it there and let them set it up. But first I am gonna play with the toe in and install the steering stabilizer.
Yeah, the broken leg was no fun.....and then I had to go thru it again because the first dr screwd me up bad.........everything had to be redone. It pretty much sucked for all of 2011. Then I got the foot on the same leg stepped on by a big fricking cow yesterday.......the cow didnt know he was supposed to go forward and he didnt activate his reverse wrning system.....lol, I am no damn cowboy, I ride bikes, not cows and horses.

sandsman screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 06:37 PM Reason: add content
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #50
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,000
What I meant was that with a little more speed the shake nearly disappeared.
cleatusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #51
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
The hydraulic steering stabilizer will help things out a lot, use it. I am a "low budget" sidecar guy as you are. Not in the cards for me to shell out $$$$.$$ for the "experts" to drain my wallet and perform work that I am capable of. It is not rocket science. Some trial and error will be needed to get her dialed in. Hang in there and you'll be fine. Sounds like you've done lots of home work, as did I.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 05:57 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #52
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,516
I put the " B " in budget hacking !!.One way to reduce trail on the CHEAP is to find a pair of LEADING AXLE forks the same dia as yours.I did that ( $40.00 for set of forks,wheel and calipers ) and it did the job,just make sure to use YOUR triple clamps otherwise it won't work..VW jetta stabilizers work great and there new on Ebay for about $20.00.
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #53
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am reading up on your build

NorthwestRider, I am reading up on your build, first ride that I did, I had a pretty good head shake, my toe in is at 3/4". I am gonna decrease that a bit and install my steering stablizer, then take it back out, I still have all of my electrical to do. It would be nice to have the torsion bar motor hooked up so I can adjust the sidecar suspension up or down. Since my bike sits so low, my sidecar sits low too. I have it about right for now though, gotta play with the setup.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Theres alot that can cause headshake.I had bad headshake ( so bad I could not ride it),first I installed my stabilizer,it got better.Next I tightened up the steering head bearings and it was almost gone.Next I played with the front tire air pressure and it 's even better.I just need to put in my heavy front springs and it should be gone.The one thing that helped the most was tightening the steering head bearings !!.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #55
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Duh......

Duh......, I knew I was forgetting something....... the steering head nut......I am doing the stabilizer right now, just taking a short break. I will do that too while I am at it. I took it for a short ride before the stabilizer after I toed it back out a little, I could slowly increase the speed til the head shake started, then it was game over. But it was better than before. So with the stablizer and thighten the steering head nut, maybe the nut holding the bars will be a little more stable............maybe.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #56
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Mine seemed ok as a solo but not with the car,I tightened it up over 1/2 a turn !!!.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #57
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yay!!!!!!! Yay!!!!! It goes real good.....

I am so amazed as to just what the steering stabilizer did to the shake, it took it all away.....I mean all away. Put it on and went out for a test ride and an hour later I was still going....... I scared the bejeezus out of me on a right hand sweeper at about 50 mph, it didnt want to turn, pucker factor to the max.......I am glad I didnt meet Jesus on that corner, there is a learning curve on how to ride a hack......I feel alot better after about an hour. I still have some tweeking to do, and the electrical, I'll have that done tomorrow. Here's a few pics of what it all looks like.

I just noticed the brake light on the car needs some attention............
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #58
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Great news! Sounds like you are making progress. A stabilizer made a huge difference on my rig as well.

Be patient with the technique. One thing to keep in mind - any time you are accelerating, the rig will tend to pull right, or if decel/brake, it will push left. Even the best set up rig will do that. Use those tendancies to your advantage when cornering. If its a right hander, a bit of mild acceleration will make it easier, or on a left, come into it a bit deeper, and chop the throttle so you can put the left push to your advantage. Also, be cautious of flying the chair (hack) on a tight right hander - the hack can actually pull up into the air if you got at it to hard. Once you are comfy with it, flying the chair deliberately can be fun, and will always get the attention of others . (though for me, more than once it was the undesired attention of my dear wife as she saw my kids in the hack, up in the air! smack!)

How is the straight line tracking? (ie - steady throttle - does it track straight? If not, play with toe in and lean out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I am so amazed as to just what the steering stabilizer did to the shake, it took it all away.....I mean all away. Put it on and went out for a test ride and an hour later I was still going....... I scared the bejeezus out of me on a right hand sweeper at about 50 mph, it didnt want to turn, pucker factor to the max.......I am glad I didnt meet Jesus on that corner, there is a learning curve on how to ride a hack......I feel alot better after about an hour. I still have some tweeking to do, and the electrical, I'll have that done tomorrow. Here's a few pics of what it all looks like.

I just noticed the brake light on the car needs some attention............

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #59
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey KTM Mike

The strait line characteristics are pretty good , I still have to hook up the electric trim, that will only help. When the road is slanted on way or the other, I can adjust it on the fly. I think I am happy with the toe in right now. But I noticed that I have a little inward sag, I am gonna correct that tomorrow then test it out. I have some riding to do to Dallas (about 120 mile round trip) then back home and then then to visit a sick friend in another town in a hospital. So while it's pretty, I am gonna take advantage of the nice weather. I have a long trip later this year, out to the Cali coast then probalbly all the way up to Alaska, then back down to the USA again, altogether 22 states and 3 Canadian provinces. If all works out, I am on the disabled list now and won't be going back to work.

Every day is a day off for me......
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
Looks great! Glad it is all coming together for you. The dampers are a must in my opinion. The "powered lean" control will make it great on the sloped roads.
My previous sidecar experience was as yours...trial by fire.
I ran around the neighborhood for 50 miles or so then off on a +1000 mile, very loaded, camping trip with a passenger.
The first sharp right hand corner I took got my attention. Now, 20k + miles or so later the comfort level is high. Just always respect it for what it is....just takes one "oops" to get you into deep shit. I've pushed the bar too high a couple times and ended up in the oncoming lane. Luckily no one was coming from the other direction.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote