User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
G is for Guiness OP
Mr. n00b to you sir!

Oddometer: 52
BMW MOA and? BMW RA?

Since I can't get enough BMW news/info, etc. Anyone care to comment on the BMW RA? I like the BMW MOA mag. website should I invest in the RA? Although have not been to a rally of any kind for the MOA. Just seems the MOA is more popular. Which does not always mean better!
thanks,
G is for Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
You will generally find more posers in the MOA and more whiners in the RA. At one time they were the same club then there was some sort of big disagreement and the two clubs were born. That happend before my time with BMW's. As for the mags, the MOA has gotten better but still a lot of BMW is Great! The RA mag, is way more opinionated and critical of BMW but not written as well. I was never able to finish a single article so I dropped the RA.

All of that being said, I have attended National's for both (The MOA is about 3-4 times larger) and have enjoyed both as they are both generally well run. Most local clubs are chapters of both.

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 496
I guess I don't have an answer for Mr. Noob, but I wonder about Rick G. and the posers point. Do you mean all those GS/A's at the rallys whose knobbies have only seen the grass they camp on? While I would agree on that, at least they rode there. That the rider's want to look RTW is OK. The G/S and GS/A are fine solo bikes, even for all pavement.

Go to Sturgis, 500,000 bikes and 400,000 trailers. You have to keep things in persective.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD II

Go to Sturgis, 500,000 bikes and 400,000 trailers. You have to keep things in persective.
it beats 7000 bikes and 6,980 weenies.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I guess I don't have an answer for Mr. Noob, but I wonder about Rick G. and the posers point. Do you mean all those GS/A's at the rallys whose knobbies have only seen the grass they camp on? While I would agree on that, at least they rode there. That the rider's want to look RTW is OK. The G/S and GS/A are fine solo bikes, even for all pavement.

Sorry about the poser's and whiners crack. I meant it tongue and cheek. I am active in a local BMW club that is a chapter of both the MOA and RA. I have attended National Rallies for both including the MOA National in Redmond this year. I even got married last year while at the National in Johnson City last year. I also have a Savanah II suit and don't see enough dirt. So you could probably include me in that group as well.

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 10,007
FWIW, I just joined RA about 5-6 months ago. Been in MOA for years. I have to say, I really enjoy the RA magazine. Yes, they have opinions and express them. I like that, and have read every one of them cover to cover, some articles twice. I read my MOA too and it is more PC for sure, but I really like the RA magazine a lot. Apparently the volunteers are new and have changed the format from what it was. I see some complaints, as is always the case with change. Quite frankly, I see just as much of that with MOA. I think it is the nature of the owners group. Thank God they don't own Italian bikes, their heads would explode. YMMV, but I have to say I am glad I finally joined RA just for the mag alone.

Oh yeah, and this is in the wrong forum it will get moved shortly.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,830
Is Robert Higdon still contributing to OTL?

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by G is for Guiness
Since I can't get enough BMW news/info, etc. Anyone care to comment on the BMW RA? I like the BMW MOA mag. website should I invest in the RA? Although have not been to a rally of any kind for the MOA. Just seems the MOA is more popular. Which does not always mean better!
thanks,
Why did you post this in rallies?

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
OUtback UFO
GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer: 2,595
The main difference in the RA and MOA mags is that the RA is now refocusing on industry stuff that is the more latest news on BMW motorcycles. The MOA is more for touring and ralleys... the last few issues of MOA have left me very ??? ...

The RA OTL is full vonlunteer to get the mag out each of the 10 months of print... the MOA ON is a paid staff.

I just ride and photograph

One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

IBA#13157 BB1500 SS2000

Die Hohen Berghunde Agent X

My Motorcycling fine art Books are avalible at Blurb.com, click below.

159059 ss ed. 159059 sl ed. and Motorcycling to Aesthetics:Australia
OUtback UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Forget them both and use this site for all your riding needs.

Starbucks will still serve you should you stop by some time.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Forget them both and use this site for all your riding needs.

Starbucks will still serve you should you stop by some time.
ADV has better decals too.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,262
One of the latest issues of the MOA magazine had an interview with the head honcho at BMW Motorrad in the USA.

Not a critical question in the whole article (several pages long). It was all about getting to know the guy, nothing about BMW almost. How about asking him what he thought of the bad publicity the many final drive failures at the Iron Butt got BMW?

There's some good stuff in there as well, and I'll stay with the MOA, but generally the magazine is a waste of paper and postage.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
I let my long term RA membership lapse about 5 years ago. Really for no good reason other than was/is to lazy to renew. RA seemed more dialed in with the inner workings of BMW and what future models were in the pipe line. They correctly, most of the time anyway, quelled or verifed rumors along those lines that appeared in main stream moto press. They had alot of BMW tech stuff also. Finally they reported on all the political infighting going on at MOA at that time, lot of it was funny as shit. The editor Robert Hellman I also thought was funny as hell, I have since heard he has passed away.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
My husband and I enjoyed the last issue of the OTL the Riders Association mag. I also had a great time at the Rally in Pownal VT.

Nice people. Don't have anything against the owners association but the word "rider" just seemed to appeal to me more. Any rich dick can be an owner. Rider implies something different, in my mind. In reality, all the members I met were real riders and not one of them seemed whiney or stuck up....

That's my 2c....

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,158
I joined both so i could put both stickers on my panniers. But i agree with Duck that adv stickers rule!

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote