Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #166
jrs1899
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I found really nice kershaw knife. Then dropped my KLR and had to replace the side panel.

jrs1899 screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 01:30 PM
jrs1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #167
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 507
I found 8 sheets of plywood about 15 ft from the stop bar of a busy intersection, a block or two from the local Home Depot...

Quickly rode home (3-4 min each way) and got my truck. When I got back, there were two cops who helped me load it up in order to clear the road hazard.
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #168
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 9er View Post
I found 8 sheets of plywood about 15 ft from the stop bar of a busy intersection, a block or two from the local Home Depot...

Quickly rode home (3-4 min each way) and got my truck. When I got back, there were two cops who helped me load it up in order to clear the road hazard.

Sometimes civic duty/service has its rewards!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #169
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
i lost my licence plate and dont think i noticed for a while but found it on a local road 3 days later whilst on the way to get a new one¬
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #170
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
i lost my licence plate and dont think i noticed for a while but found it on a local road 3 days later whilst on the way to get a new one¬

awesome
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #171
birds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Haven't found anything on the bike that I can think of, so nothing memorable.

I have found more things in cars than outside them

- When I was a kid my parents bought a used car, and I found a couple action figures under the seats.

- Had a mazda that I dropped off for warranty service. Found a 10mm ratcheting wrench that is part of my tool kit now on the bike.

- Different mechanic, found a nice complex hook tool. Returned that one, though.

- Bought a '90 suburban last year. Found a nice bendy magnet handle under the carpet in the back.

- Same suburban, found a couple Georgia plates in it for my friend that collects plates.

- Same suburban. Recently after I bought it. I knew there was something up with the fuel delivery/responsiveness. I had another '90 suburban that got totaled, that had double the mileage and was much more responsive. I was thinking the injectors could do with a replacing, and I would check out the lift pump and the injector pump. My fiancee had to take it to work one day. She calls me saying the gas pedal broke. Oh boy. What happened? It just stopped working. went down to the floor and the truck stopped accelerating. Oh, and these pliers fell on my foot... damnit

It was a set of mini channel lock pliers with blue handles holding the accelerator cable together. Just kidding about the blue handles. I've done some pretty stupid stuff, but I wasn't too happy about whoever let that temporary fix become "permanent". Especially since my fiancee was the one that was driving when it came apart. I carry those pliers in my moto kit as well.

birds screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 09:49 PM
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #172
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I found a klr "top box" on the side of the road. I think everywhere else they're called milk crates.
dino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #173
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Not very usefull to me personally but i did find this on the road this morning..

still alive... moving veryslow.. did not appear to have been run over yet...
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #174
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
I found a wood splitting wedge yesterday,plastic wedge with metal on top.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #175
tigerboy
Tight as a Tiger

Oddometer: 112
Between 6/19/2012 and 9/12/2012 (the time this thread went dormant into the ADV abyss and was kicked back to life again) the most useful thing I found, bar none, was a nice roll of Gorilla-brand black duct tape.

I ride a black motorcycle and parts are darn hard to find for an MZ.

Tigerboy.com
tigerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #176
rebake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
12 inch long craftsman screwdriver on saturday.Goes in the truck with the 2 ft pry-bar i found about a month ago.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #177
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,959
Me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #178
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,703
I once found a 24-pack of Bud Light sitting unopened on the curb while driving home in my truck from a hockey game one night. I pulled over, opened my door, leaned down, and grabbed it while stopped at a light. Went home and invited a couple buddies over to share the spoils and had an all-around good night.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #179
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
A Benchmade knife at Fish Lake just before heading down the McKenzie River Trail on mountain bikes. Use it everyday for lunch.
Was broke while in Piraeus, hungry and waiting for the ferry to haul my ass back to the island I was staying on(Aegina). A 100 drachma bill blew around the corner. I picked it up, walked to the pretzel stand and had lunch. Thankfully I already had the return ticket for the boat.
I still have lost more money than I've found...

NE
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #180
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,349
I'm in the habit of looking down where my sidestand is about to cantact the ground, before I put the weight of the bike on it. Soft ground or a hole makes for a tip over.
I pull off onto a dirt side road into the forest, swing out the sidestand and look down at the ground and directly under the foot on my stand is a $20 dollar bill. I roll the bike ahead a bit, rest it on the stand, and pick up the twenty.
Then, as I was a few paces away making water fall on the ground, I spotted a ten dollar bill,, and a few feet from that, a full bottle of whiskey, seal unbroken!
My guess was, somebody bought the jug with a fifty, and this was the jug and their change,,they stopped the night before on that side road for the same reason I had,, and lost the goodies.
Lots of tools, my favorite is an old(very old) putty knife that I picked up in an intersection,,found 1987, still use it once in a while.
Last trip up to WetFest early this month found a fire extinguisher under a guard rail on the right hand side. Turned around and went back, and because I was fully burdened and on the shiny black RT and not my filthy GS,,I decided to stand it on one of the posts and leave it there for the next finder.
Found a little black puppy someone had dumped in the middle of 'the forest of nowhere.'
I saw it up ahead and wondered wtf it was,,then watched it run into the weeds beside the road when I rode by so I stopped a short ways up, and turned the bike off. It was terrified of me, and the bike and the wide world around it. It was a fat little fugger, so I figured it wasn't there that long. I got some snacks from my tankbag and gained it's confidence enuff to grab it with my gloved hand and hold it to calm it down. Long story short, it got a rescue home with 2 little girls that fell in love with it instantly,, and it with them. That's problly my most useful find while out riding.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote