Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #46
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwade View Post
The border between russia and georgia is definitly closed for european peoples. No chance. We and many others tried it last year an the situation ist still the same.
You can go with ship from russia (sotchi/ adler) to turkey (trabzon) or ukraina (odessa) to batumi (georgia). I go this way in two weeks.
My friends from Romania (EU) made the Kazbegi border crossing last summer.
I hear the ferry sucks. I have never heard anything good about it.

I will try it in July. If I cant make it thru, oh well. I'll just ride back. I dont wanna deal with the ferry

You cant cross at the black sea border tho (Abkhazia)

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #47
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
A note to those going to South Ossetia or Abkhazia from Russia (no other way - they won't let you cross): do Georgia first, and don't try to go back after the breakaway republics. At least not using the same passport. You'll either not be let in, or you'll end up in jail (American citizens probably get preferential treatment tho, given the authorities' leaning at the moment).

Personally, I'd stay away from the "administrative boundary lines" ("border" to the other sides) too - trigger happy paramilitaries with no love lost for westerners whom they suspect of all that is bad in the world. Last I was there, I was under 'diplomatic protection', and I'm not sure I would risk it without it. There's enough kalasjnikovs and chacha flowing to make for an interesting cocktail. YMMV. The line is more than diffuse, so people are arrested every now and then - of course only locals, but a tourist may find him-/herself in the same situation. Besides, Tskhinvali is a bit of a dump (granted that can actually be a qualification to go there)... Abkhazia may be worth it though.

The crossing is unclear - indications go back and forth. The Russians did reach out at one point, but Saakasjvili pretty much spit in their hands.. It's clear for Armenians and Turks, others I don't know.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?

K0m4 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 11:42 AM
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #48
beebeer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Putin's Palace

How about someone taking a peek at Putin's Palace (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17730959 ) while you're over there?
beebeer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #49
motobaer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
My friends from Romania (EU) made the Kazbegi border crossing last summer.
I hear the ferry sucks. I have never heard anything good about it.

I will try it in July. If I cant make it thru, oh well. I'll just ride back. I dont wanna deal with the ferry

Doug
Hi Dough!

Did'd your friends make the border crossing from Russia to Georgia or vice versa. Or does it makes no diffence?

I ask because in Moldawia/Transnistria/Ukraine it makes a difference in which direction you cross the border. East to west crossing might cause problems with the Moldawien Authorities.

The situation at both borders are similar. Broken-off areas under control of the Russian Armee.

Gunter
motobaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #50
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hi
Found this post on another forum yesterday looks like good news for us Guys heading from Russia to Georgia

Eric

Crossing from Georgia to Russia via Kazbegi/Vladikavkaz border point May 2012:
Went Friday 11 May 2012 up from Tbilisi to Kazbegi via Georgian Military Highway. The road is very nice, except for the crossing over the pass, where you have 14 km of really bad road. The rest is brand new and fun to ride.
Went up to the border point,parked the bike and asked the guy from custom if I can cross as a non russian/georgian/CIS citizen the border. The answer was YES YOU CAN!
I asked then again, and mentioned that last year the border was closed for foreigners. They said yes, it was closed but now it's open, it is ok to cross to Russia. If you have a russian visa, of course.
I did not crossed because I wanted to go to Azerbaijan and from there to Turmenistan on the way to Mongolia and Siberia.
Revenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #51
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Thats Adrian, from Romania. I was gonna post that on here. He is sort of redoing my trip last year to magadan.

Gunter, I've been in & out of Transniester from Moldova, & not had a problem. But, I went with some bikers from Moldova. I wouldnt go to TR by myself, or suggest anyone to do it. Crooked cops & military, I've heard several horror stories

Doug

www.motosapiens.org

Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #52
motobaer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thank you Eric

exactly the kind of news I wished to read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Doug

I passed the border Moldawia/Transnistria/Ukraine in 2006.
It was ok. I had to pay 5 Euros and a 30 minutes talk as a bribe.
In Moldawia we can still aquire the taste of the CCCP.

Gunter
motobaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #53
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
You can find some information about Georgia and crossing Russian border from my report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728911
I've not yet finished my report, but you can hopefully still find some useful information!
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #54
naga-italy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Good news...

Crossed over the Kazbegi border day before yesterday, all very efficient.
From Georgia to Russia - British Citizen.
Could not find Russian Green Card or Money changing at border, but that could be my language skills!!!!!

Source:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...o-russia-41092
naga-italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #55
vagelat
Aris

Oddometer: 12
good morning from Tbilisi, Georgia. We also passed the Kasbegi borders yesterday!
On a tour around the black sea with motorbikes. http://aroundtheblacksea2012.wordpress.com/.
We passed from Russia to Georgia (Greek passports) with no problem.
Two French friends passe
d the other way 3 days before.
Have in mind that the first part of the military road (about 20 Kim?) is really bad (no asphalt many many pot holes).
No road for street bikes (!) or ordinary cars.. though I was surprised to see tracks going up and down.
Nevertheless it is a really beautiful road that reaches almost 2500 meters high with some ice still here and there!
Regards.
Aris
vagelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
Revenue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagelat View Post
good morning from Tbilisi, Georgia. We also passed the Kasbegi borders yesterday!
On a tour around the black sea with motorbikes. http://aroundtheblacksea2012.wordpress.com/.
We passed from Russia to Georgia (Greek passports) with no problem.
Two French friends passe
d the other way 3 days before.
Have in mind that the first part of the military road (about 20 Kim?) is really bad (no asphalt many many pot holes).
No road for street bikes (!) or ordinary cars.. though I was surprised to see tracks going up and down.
Nevertheless it is a really beautiful road that reaches almost 2500 meters high with some ice still here and there!
Regards.
Aris
Great News, will be having a look in August

Eric
Revenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
rok1679
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Abkhazia

@rtwdoug

Any news on entering Abkhazia? I am still deciding whether to
1. enter Abkhazia from Russia, go back to Russia and then go Georgia (and hope no one puts evidence visiting Abk. in my passport)
2. go Russia, Georgia, enter Abk. from Georgia and return to Georgia (this is more legal acording to Georgia since in 1st case we cross the Georgian border illegaly, but probably more risky if let trough or not).

Did some research here, but any more recent additional info is good:
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com/2009...reaucracy.html
Info from 2010: No one here reports problems reentering Georgia from Abkhazia assuming that you start from Georgia.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...16569&start=15
http://foodperestroika.com/2011/02/2...ntures-part-7/

Any recomendations which hotel should I list on aplication for a visa (since I will not be staying in a hotel)?

If you are still in Sevlievo around 15th july we can meet on a beer. I will probably ride trough there towards Black Sea.

Greetings!
rok1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #58
vagelat
Aris

Oddometer: 12
When we entered Russia from Ukraine last month, and since we were still thinking our route around the black sea, we asked the officials (Russians) at the borders, and they told as that the only way to enter Georgia from Russia is at Kazbegi. No borders to Abkhazia are open, they said.
That's as far as can help...
Regards.
Aris
http://aroundtheblacksea2012.wordpress.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok1679 View Post
@rtwdoug

Any news on entering Abkhazia? I am still deciding whether to
1. enter Abkhazia from Russia, go back to Russia and then go Georgia (and hope no one puts evidence visiting Abk. in my passport)
2. go Russia, Georgia, enter Abk. from Georgia and return to Georgia (this is more legal acording to Georgia since in 1st case we cross the Georgian border illegaly, but probably more risky if let trough or not).

Did some research here, but any more recent additional info is good:
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com/2009...reaucracy.html
Info from 2010: No one here reports problems reentering Georgia from Abkhazia assuming that you start from Georgia.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...16569&start=15
http://foodperestroika.com/2011/02/2...ntures-part-7/

Any recomendations which hotel should I list on aplication for a visa (since I will not be staying in a hotel)?

If you are still in Sevlievo around 15th july we can meet on a beer. I will probably ride trough there towards Black Sea.

Greetings!
vagelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #59
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Ive been doing a bit of research on Abkhazia.
From what I have found, it seems that if the Georgian officials see an ABK stamp in your passport, they are liable to throw you in jail.
The reason being, as they still consider ABK part of GEO, and as you didnt pass GEO customs to go to ABK, you entered GEO illegally.

So.. if you go GEO-RU-ABK-RU you are ok. but if you go to ABK, you shouldnt go to GEO after. Im still doing research, tho, and am hoping I can get the ABK guys to not put a stamp in the passport. I've written the minister of ABK, as I learn anything new, I will post it here.

I really wanted to visit ABK this summer, I hope I can figure out a way.

theres no border open from GEO-ABK

I will be riding around the black sea about the same time as you, so we may meet up enroute, if I dont see you here in BG

Doug

www.motosapiens.org

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #60
rok1679
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
This is what I've got from Abkhazian Consular Service:

Good day, You can come from Georgian side in any time, there is no problem, dont listen the untrue information, a lot of foreign people come from the georgian-abkhazian border!
Only the transit through Abkhazia is forbidden - if you have to come from Georgia and then go to Russia! You come from georgian side and then leave Abkhazia the same way!
You are always welcome in a beautiful Abkhazia
Consular Service

Will probably go for this option.
But I have another problem, this time with Russia: I didn't know I must obtain the letter of invitation.
There are some agencies here in my country which charge for 40 euro just for that letter (that is 160 EUR with visa for me and my wife). That is too much for me. Is there any other(cheaper) way to get this invitation? Or does something like transit visa exist for Russia?

Greetings!
rok1679 is offline   Reply With Quote