Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #46
Skinner OP
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,662
Ok, new plan. Buying the DIY kit from Cheng! Seems pretty fool proof, even for this fool!

Now I need a weekend with 40 degree weather so I can mix it in the garage but still hose off the mixer outside when I'm done.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #47
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,778
I did concrete counter tops and a matching table for my house a few years ago and they turned out really well, although the next thing I do will be even better because of a couple of things I learned.

At this point it's probably too late for advice, but the biggest recommendation I can give is to pour it upside-down and finish it outside. I know your piece is going to be huge but you can carry it with enough friends. Wet finishing is a big mess and must be done outside the house. I used Quikrete's countertop mix and it did a great job, although I didn't vibrate it quite enough. I couldn't find any stores that sell the stuff, but Quikrete was great and gave me the number of the local rep who delivers to the stores, and he ordered some for he and had it sent to the local Lowe's. All the Quikrete people were just fantastic to work with.

I'm very happy with the project and enjoy them so much more than the played-out granite that everyone gets. They look great and feel great. Can't wait to see your results!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #48
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Bellied Sneetch View Post
I did concrete counter tops and a matching table for my house a few years ago and they turned out really well, although the next thing I do will be even better because of a couple of things I learned.

At this point it's probably too late for advice, but the biggest recommendation I can give is to pour it upside-down and finish it outside. I know your piece is going to be huge but you can carry it with enough friends. Wet finishing is a big mess and must be done outside the house. I used Quikrete's countertop mix and it did a great job, although I didn't vibrate it quite enough. I couldn't find any stores that sell the stuff, but Quikrete was great and gave me the number of the local rep who delivers to the stores, and he ordered some for he and had it sent to the local Lowe's. All the Quikrete people were just fantastic to work with.

I'm very happy with the project and enjoy them so much more than the played-out granite that everyone gets. They look great and feel great. Can't wait to see your results!
Care to share some pictures?
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #49
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
Care to share some pictures?
Don't think I have any at the moment. I know I didn't take any during the building of them. I'm not much of a picture guy. I just spent a week vacationing at Vail and didn't even take any pics. It's strange because I used to be all into it. Had a darkroom in the basement and everything.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #50
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,117
We have concrete counter tops

We had them made so I can't help you with the process.

Loooooove the look and feel but having problems with the finish. Anytime anything acidic get on them it leaves a mark. It's fairly easy to repair if you keep up on it.

Looking forward to what you are going to use for a finish.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #51
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,541
Pix ? ? ?

Please post pix of yer c'crete countertops . . . . .

Thanks.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #52
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
We had them made so I can't help you with the process.

Loooooove the look and feel but having problems with the finish. Anytime anything acidic get on them it leaves a mark. It's fairly easy to repair if you keep up on it.

Looking forward to what you are going to use for a finish.
Do you know what kind of sealer they used on yours? I've heard that with some kinds you just have to accept that the counter will take on some "patina" over time.
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #53
Skinner OP
Mr.KTM

I just did the grinding on my test piece, it was so easy, almost fool proof! Smooth a silk, pretty impressive actually.

Now to seal it.

I have the Pretecrete product, and the sealer from Cheng, I will do both sides and see which one looks and performs best!

I will post my results in a week or two after some liquid and heat testing on both!

Chengs sealer is looking for a wax after sealing to really shine it up and I am a little worried about that.

www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #54
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,677

remodeling a bathroom, and haven't been happy with any of my countertop choices

a friend mentioned concrete, which is interesting. watching and waiting!
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #55
Skinner OP
Mr.KTM

oK, poured the counter top yesterday! I looks great! I followed the directions Fom Chng to the letter. The surprising part was how dry the mix was when we poured, and I use that term lightl. The concrete seemed barely wet, after working it in with our hands (wear gloves ) into all the corners and all around under the rebar etc. I was surprised again at how water came up to the surface!

I will get all my pics of the process up by the end of the week. And then I will take lots of pics of the polishing process also.

I am going let it set up for a week which I know is about three days more than necessary. But don't want to take any chances when removing the mold!

www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #56
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Cool
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #57
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
The water cement ratio is a big factor in strength. Any mix that can be worked at all will have more water than needed to fully hydrate the cement. This is the bleed water you see coming to the surface. The "self leveling" mixes most contractors use, can lose 25% of the design strength. They will be cracked later. rom your description is sounds like you used the correct amount of water. You should have good results.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
Skinner OP
Mr.KTM

Ok, here's a link to all of the photo's, I have no time to upload them at this time, anyone else wants to do it for me, thanks, otherwise I'll get to it soon, maybe!

link

www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #59
Tommyg2bad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
concrete

I did concrete counter tops in my kitchen. After you pull the forms if you don't like the edge you can still trowel on more concrete, or grind them. You don't want a crisp edge. You'll be surprised how much you can do after to fix edges, holes, whatever. I sealed mine with a colored epoxy and after 10 years they still look like they did the first day. Make sure and use diamond mesh vs. wire or rebar.
Tommyg2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
Hawghead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Concrete counter tops

Hey Guys, I was wondering if you have tried the mix from SureCrete? I do custom furniture,(steel and concrete) and this is the shit. It can be poured as thin as half-inch and has 7000 psi after about 12 hours. I will send pics to someone if they want at ptrentham3563@charter.net, just make sure and specify concrete questions. I just finished a 4'x4' coffee table, that has no mesh, no rebar. etc. and you can stand in the middle and it does not budge. It also is only 5/8's thick and only weighs about 140 lbs. You can find the website at www.SurecreteDesigns.com. This also is totally Eco-friendly and when sealed is very, very scratch resistant. My ole lady had finished this one with 600, 800, and 1000 grit automotive paper and we then used Maguire's auto wax and have a mirror finish that cold beer will dance off of. Just thought i would make a comment and Everybody, Ride , Ride, Ride. Hawghead
Hawghead is offline   Reply With Quote