Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
jesperd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropey View Post
Great RR... I have Romania planned for this Summer, any idea will Transfag or TransAlpina be open mid May?
I'm going there beginning of June. I have been told that Transfagarasan officially opens June 1st depending on weather. There's a gate at the summit that is simply shut. Transalpina is open all year if you can beat the snow. That's what I have been told, haven't been there myself - yet. Even if it is closed when you get to the top, I'm sure the ride is nice - even going back :-)

Also, I understand that traffic is bad in the weekends on Transfagarasan. Some says Transalpina is better.

Postpone your trip a couple of weeks, I'll meet you at Lake Balea :-)
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants View Post
To get to Romania I have to go trough places like - Lithuania - Poland - Slovakia - Hungary, in total 4 000km. for whole trip I had 9 days, so according to my calculations it should be enough.
Thanks for this report, I enjoyed it!

This is on the top of my list while I'm living in Germany. I can probably manage 2 or 3 week trips at a time and I'm about about 1800kms from the Transfăgărășan. So many things to see along the way in E Europe it's hard to decide which route to take!
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #18
Ropey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
I'm going there beginning of June. I have been told that Transfagarasan officially opens June 1st depending on weather. There's a gate at the summit that is simply shut. Transalpina is open all year if you can beat the snow. That's what I have been told, haven't been there myself - yet. Even if it is closed when you get to the top, I'm sure the ride is nice - even going back :-)

Also, I understand that traffic is bad in the weekends on Transfagarasan. Some says Transalpina is better.

Postpone your trip a couple of weeks, I'll meet you at Lake Balea :-)
Love to mate but ferries already booked 27th April leave Ireland and sail back 18th may.... This is all driven by work, I need to be in the USA first week in June...

I'll chance the Tranfag and keep you posted.... I may just be lucky!!!

Ropey
Ropey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #19
bob66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Hi guys, glad you enjoy Romania roads.

Indeed, (especially) Transfagarasan and Transalpina can be very crowded in the weekends. But this is usually in the full season, not in the beginning (ie June).
We have holidays (days-off) on 9 June and 15 August.

If you need more information let us know. I think there are some Romanians on this forum.

Regards,
Cristian
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #20
ERU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hello guys.
Exactly as Bob sad Transfagarasan and Transalpina are overcrowded only in full summer season.
Transalpina as stated before is open whole year if you can beat the snow.
Transfagarasan has a tunnel in the highest point, and the tunnel has gates that are closed in the winter season, but in the gates there are some doors for pedestrian use. If you have anything else but a big boxer you should be able to slip through the doors, but again if you can beat the snow.

WINDRIDER
ERU is offline   Reply With Quote