Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #61
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 819
RS is an interresting ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremor View Post
Can a RS play?

Man I love this bike, best all-arounder for me!

One more

I had a loaner RS from Cycle Specialties in Modesto, for a couple days while I lived in the Central Valley of CA. and they did a recall on my GSA. It was a higher mile bike as are a lot of RS's I see advertised.
Pros: typical tall geared BMW bike feel
Pretty decent wind protection at speed
Clearly a good BMW to have in the garage! I love some of the color combos they did on this bike.
Kind of cool almost retro look compared to todays designs
Cons: Alternately flashing ABS lights from low battery condition at startup common to these bikes (or R1200C's with servo ABS)
My wrists hurt on a couple rides due to ergonomics. Would have to adapt myself a bit to this
Frame/suspension felt a little loose/sloppy at low speed but clearly the bike is built to run at fast speeds and sport tour its tail off.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #62
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

R vs. GS decision

[QUOTE=DELTATANGO;17747991]I've had both.
If you put a skid plate on it and some Tourances it would do what a GS does.

We are looking for skid plate now for ours. We only found one so far, but it was out of stock. Called "altrider" Thanks for the comparison info, as many folks wish they had bought the R over the GS, as the GS ended up uncomfortably tall for them, and they spent 99% of their time on paved roads anyway. The R also jsut feels so light pushing around int he garage. My GS is the adventure, so heavier than the standard GS. It feels like twice the weight of the R when moving them around in the garage. The R is so light and low it is amazing.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #63
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
[QUOTE=Boulder Ed;17690007]After a serious list of farkles, this bike is pretty dang nice.

The goodies:

Rick Mayer seat
One of a kind cut down ZTechnik windshield (look mom, no more helmet buffeting)
Carbon fiber front fender (Bestom) and rear hugger (Ilmberger)
Leo Vince full titanium pipe (5.8 pound reduction). I hate PC. It's too quiet!!!!
Rizoma mirrors (totally effective, improved clarity)
Wunderlich Vario levers, and center stand lift gizmo
Kaoko throttle Lock
Micro flooter driving Lights sold by Wunderlich
Integrated rear brake light flasher unit
Hyper lights for even more flashing action
Tank and side plastic protector
Raised tank bag mount for scratchless little tank bag (tank bags suck IMHO)

Is the Rick Mayer seat lower than the stock seat and is your wife happy with it?
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Is the Rick Mayer seat lower than the stock seat and is your wife happy with it?[/QUOTE]

She is very happy withe the Rick Mayer seat. I've owned probably 15 different Corbin's, a sargent, a russel that came on this bike when we bought it (see Russels website, as it her very own bike with the seat shown in the pic). She The seat is stock height, but tapered in on the last 10 " towards the front, so your legs get to the ground easier than a stock set up. We went to his shop to have it done, 3 weeks after I came home with a beauty for my GSA. Rick did a great job and his seats are as comfortable as you will find. To be honest, her's is really a work of art. I consider it one of the nicest seats I've ever seen.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #65
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
My Wife's R1200R is prettier than my GSA

Funny you should mention that, when I went to buy a GS I took my wife with me and we came home with this...........

dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #66
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Odd how that works. We stopped by the shop to get me some winter gloves. I didn't get the gloves but she got the bike...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #67
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
its a crying shame BMW stopped the RS/ST line.Granted the ST was ahhhh interesting to look at but they were a good bike
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #68
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
its a crying shame BMW stopped the RS/ST line.Granted the ST was ahhhh interesting to look at but they were a good bike
I think it's just a shame that nobody builds this (it's a photoshop job):

(in Jim Von Baden's PhotoBucket account)

I don't think it would be that hard for a good shop ... yeah, likely between $1000 and $2000, but I guess it would still sell quite some. I plain love the looks.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #69
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
"We are looking for skid plate now for ours. We only found one so far, but it was out of stock"

GS skid plates fit the R just fine.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #70
2wheelfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
I have a theory... sometime about 2010 or 2011 they changed the fuel mapping and the stock headers blued. Or they changed the manufacturing process on the pipe header. The 07/08 bikes did not seem to blue, even after many thousand miles. Or maybe all the ones I've seen did not do enough slow traffic riding to get that hot. I kind of like the blue myself...

Does anyone have a pic of a blued '07?
I have a different theory, and not sure it is supported or not, but I've heard that some are chrome over stainless and that the chrome turns blue whereas the polished stainless ones just turn sort of a brown color. I'm not sure, mine is an '09 and turned brown. It doesn't bother me, but that ceramic coating looks pretty good.

BigEasy, if you don't mind sharing, about how much was the ceramic coating, and has it held up well? Is it Jet-Hot?

Sorry to go slightly OT....love my R12R BTW .
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #71
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
"We are looking for skid plate now for ours. We only found one so far, but it was out of stock"

GS skid plates fit the R just fine.
I have a factory skidplate from a GSA. Took it off the bike with less than 2000 miles on it to install an aftermarket plate. PM me if you're interested. I'd send it to you for the cost of shipping if you need it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #72
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I think it's just a shame that nobody builds this (it's a photoshop job):

(in Jim Von Baden's PhotoBucket account)

I don't think it would be that hard for a good shop ... yeah, likely between $1000 and $2000, but I guess it would still sell quite some. I plain love the looks.
I saw that when Jim first posted it.

I would buy that bike tomorrow if BMW offered it.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #73
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Perfect bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremor View Post
I saw that when Jim first posted it.

I would buy that bike tomorrow if BMW offered it.

This is the prettiest thig I've seen yet! Thanks for sharing ! I'm surprised nobody tried it yet, but think about the cost of the parts alone from BMW. I think way over the top if you had to buy them piecemeal.

Also for all of these folks suffering emotionally and financially with endless fairing attempts to stop helmet buffeting, this prototype bike's fairing looks about right for wind protection on an R as well.

We noticed on the R1150R.org site someone has been working with Cee Bailey to create a new windshield for the R1200R. I'd bet on it only working for a relatively small group of riders unless it is adjustable somehow. I'll be interested to see how folks like it should it go into production. The solution we now run on my wife's bike, (a cut down Ztechnik) ain't perfect but is a pretty good compromise and now allows longer days, and is way more stylish than anything we've seen to date. Kind of keeps the sport look of the bike intact.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #74
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

There are a couple of ride reports on the new shield over at the R1150R.org now.

Sounds like it works fairly well.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #75
Borrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question Is that a chicken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
And they can be highly farkled (like anything else). I would have loved to upgrade to the R1200R but it had welded on footpeg mounts and one of the accomodations I made to mine to accomodate my 6'-2" frame was to put R1150GS rear suspension, footpeg mounts, etc. on it to provide longer leg extension and enough cornering clearance for the Jesse bags. Wasn't possible with the R1200 unfortunately.

Is that a chicken next to you?
Borrego is offline   Reply With Quote