Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #91
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
not as new as eveyrone else's but....

....here's my newest acquisition:

It's a '99 R1100R with over 86K on the clock. I couldn't believe how great its condition was and it was rather obvious its previous owners had taken good care of it.

I'm in the process of doing some farkeling it with factory windshield brackets (eBay) and a Cee Bailey windshield. I just installed an upgrade cam chain tensioner from Rubber Chicken Racing and it needed a new starter, that was done a few days ago. It came with factory luggage and is an absolute blast to ride.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #92
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
I sold this R1200R a year ago to get a dual sport. I ended up selling the dual sport (Husky) since the mountains are just too far away and I've got too much else going on to realistically get up there more than a couple times a year.

But...I can buy the bike back! Owner is considering a new 2012, and I am really tempted to go bring my old bike back home. The Parabellum fairing gives smooth quiet air at chest and head, while still having that open-air feeling.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #93
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.

Oddometer: 805
Amazing bike

I've owned close to 40 BMWs, including a bunch of oilheads, and this bike makes me smile every time I jump on it and twist the throttle. Raced a guy in a newer Vette tonight and easily pulled ahead, front wheel pawing the sky. Had a (big) lady friend on it yesterday and went 110 on a backroad, no muss no fuss. But hey I'm nearly 55 and can't do that shit, right? Did 800 miles on it in 1 day 4 weeks ago, no sweat. This bike does it all. I've loved my 6 GS 1200's, but this bike is better if you just want to ride the street. The stock seat blows chunks (getting it redone in 2 weeks by Mr. Ed's Moto) and I look forward to the day I can afford Ohlins or Wilburs, I have no idea how BMW could put these spindly shit shocks on their bikes. WTF +1000.

But the base bike is so righteous I can't imagine a better BMW for the real world. I've owned 2 R1200RTs, the aforementioned 6 R1200GS's (including a GSA), ST, RS'es, K bikes, etc. This thing is fast, looks great and purrs until you open up that throttle.

Went 270 miles on the last tank, and that included two blasts over the ton.

Get one.

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Closed Casket screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 07:40 PM
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #94
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
I sold this R1200R a year ago to get a dual sport.
I hoped to buy one I saw on Craigslist somewhere around Pleasant Hill almost a year ago. I wonder if it was that one? What year is it?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #95
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I hoped to buy one I saw on Craigslist somewhere around Pleasant Hill almost a year ago. I wonder if it was that one? What year is it?
Might have been my 2007. I'm in Lafayette. Owner is in WC. I'm not buying it after all. Need to spend my cash finishing the airhead dirtbike.

It's a great bike. I rode it last weekend for a bit.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #96
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I'm a fan!

Oddly enough, it's the second least popular BMW, but not to me. IMO, it's the do all, be all.

I can take it anywhere from the twisties to the highway to off the highway. I spent a week on mine earlier this summer touring Northern California.

Did a few farkles, but the most important one was also the most recent - new suspension.

Yes sir, I really do like this ride!

Mt. Shasta in the background.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #97
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closed Casket View Post
I've owned close to 40 BMWs, including a bunch of oilheads, and this bike makes me smile every time I jump on it and twist the throttle. Raced a guy in a newer Vette tonight and easily pulled ahead, front wheel pawing the sky. Had a (big) lady friend on it yesterday and went 110 on a backroad, no muss no fuss. But hey I'm nearly 55 and can't do that shit, right? Did 800 miles on it in 1 day 4 weeks ago, no sweat. This bike does it all. I've loved my 6 GS 1200's, but this bike is better if you just want to ride the street. The stock seat blows chunks (getting it redone in 2 weeks by Mr. Ed's Moto) and I look forward to the day I can afford Ohlins or Wilburs, I have no idea how BMW could put these spindly shit shocks on their bikes. WTF +1000.

But the base bike is so righteous I can't imagine a better BMW for the real world. I've owned 2 R1200RTs, the aforementioned 6 R1200GS's (including a GSA), ST, RS'es, K bikes, etc. This thing is fast, looks great and purrs until you open up that throttle.

Went 270 miles on the last tank, and that included two blasts over the ton.

Get one.

NICELY STATED! SO TRUE! You see low mile bikes with farkles out there for $9K now, with the same year GS being 3K more... I love GS's too, but the R simply rocks. Every rally we hit there are a few and the owners love them to death. The thing is so light compared to my GSA I drool every time I push it around in the garage while getting both my and my wife's bikes out. My GSA is slow and top heavy to no end and essentially a truck to carry the camp gear on. I did just run the GSA on an iron butt saddle sore 1000, so it can do somethings pretty well

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #98
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #99
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Yea my wife's R is definitely way prettier than my Uly even after riding in the rain - nothing can save the Uly. Now she has the blued pipes and a new y-pipe black ceramic coated and the bike is dyno tuned with a PCIII. Plus it hasn't rained in weeks so it's actually clean-ish now haha.

unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #100
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 819
Just a couple new pics from last weekend at Steamboat Springs, CO. Unfortunately they show more cool fall colors in cottonwoods than close up of the bike, but you folks have put so many awesome pics up on this thread already, it's hard to add value! This was at the Steamboat Springs campground which was a nice spot, pretty deserted in the tent area, but confirmed our latest theory, developed over 50 nights of camping this summer, that all campgrounds are built along freight train routes.

A few changes from the original pic on page one: new Touratech hand guards, swapped out the german crash bars for these possibly less protective ones by Machinart (which tested fine in a zero speed wind induced tip over). Added the potentiometer cover, after a recommendation by another R1200R owner we met in Alaska this summer. Added the BMW OEM rack you see taped up to keep it from looking like hell after one season. We are big fans of duct tape. The less sticky galfers tape we tried once, hoping to avoid the sticky residue removal that comes with duct or electrical tape, wears through too soon and will surprise you with a nice wear spot on your new rack. I really miss the old Reynolds chrome racks we had on the old /5,/6/, /7 boxers.

Note average fuel economy has been 54mpg over 11,000 fully packed up miles this summer vs. 47.5 on my loaded GSA. Also we got about 6,000 miles out of a set of Pirelli Scorpion Dual Sport tires, on the Yukon roads, but limped it along keeping below 65mph most of the time to optimize tire life for the trip. Finding your tire of choice in the Yukon, when you actually need it, is a challenge 90% of the time, even with the handful of credit cards you may need to buy one.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"

Boulder Ed screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:27 AM
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote