User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Michelangelo OP
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,604
Anyone hooked up a Trail Tech Vapor?

Just picked up a 1987 Honda (Super) Magna and the guy lowsided it. I'm replacing various parts and outraged to see how much people want for these parts on fleabay. A slightly damaged guage cluster is $150! A decent shape one is $175-200!!

Since mine is mashed I'm toying with the idea of tricking my bike out with installing a Vapor with dash. Wanting to find anyone who has done similiar to their street bike, hopefully with pics. (I've installed and used one on my XR650R but never on a streetbike or with the TrailTech dash.)

I think it would go great mounted with my new updated headlight. Would mount it just to the front of the triples.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
another choice...
http://www.acewell-meter.com/

I've been running one on my KLR for about 4 years - works great. Not as tinny as the Vapor I had on my DRZ. quality can change tho
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Michelangelo OP

Yeah I think Acewells are the one to have but I'm trying to keep it under $160 total with dash and all.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Vapors are awesome. I have one on my DR650. I have the Dash too, but I have to say, unless you get something like a "Highway Dirt Bike" top clamp setup, it doesnt feel solid. (Im talking only about the Vapor-Dash, the plastic casing for the actual vapor which hosts indicator lights)

If you are fine with the tacho being a bit laggy at higher RPMs, go ahead and get it. There are few for sale every now and then in the Flea market. I dont have any pics but wil try and snap some when I get a chance.

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,971
Put one one my wee strom in leiu of the stock gauge display.
Not hard really, just get a manual with the electrical scematics and hook up the wiring.
I built a custom mount to bolt it to. Pretty easy.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
I mounted one onto a Pelican case. I ride offroad regularly and it's never given a hint of breaking. I drilled 2 3/8" holes into the back of the pelican case. The bolts that hold on the handlebar clamps go into those holes.

There's a more detailed write-up on the install in the thread in my sig. The vapor's not bad, but not great. The tach was made for a single cylinder and I've never been able to get a solid reading out of it. The temp sensor that goes under the spark plug caused a plug to back out once so I removed it. There's a sensor that tells you the outside temp too. If you park your bike in the sun it'll tell you it's 120 degrees out. The unit would've been better if they'd have left off a lot of the features that didn't work well. If I had to do it over again I think I'd get an acewell. I'd still mount it on the Pelican case though. It's a solid, waterproof dash for $12. I mounted a 12v outlet, my ignition switch, and the switches for extra lights and heated gear in it.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Michelangelo OP

great. more pics plz.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
JUANLABO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Vapor installed in a R100GS

I mount a Vapor in my R100R transformed in a R100GS. I Bougth the aluminium protector and made a custom support.
I did it three years ago and is running ok.
Attached Images

JUANLABO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Michelangelo OP

I'm curious to know how your who may have hooked the Vapor up did your tach wire. My bike is a v-4 with of course 2 ignition coils and 4 wires you (duh). Before I hook it up according ot the instrutions am i going to have any problems or faults with doing it to just the one of four plug wires?

I know you can wrap it around the plug were itself or put the red wire from the Vapor into the stator wire coil spade. The coil obviously has 2 spade connectors. How do I know which of those goes to the coil?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Michelangelo OP

Ok I'm halfway through hooking up the Vapor. I've got power to it. Got everything hooked up to it except the dash lights. Will try to tackle it tomorrow. Last few days have been spent doing the mount, painting some pieces and such.

Even installed a 12 v cell charger socket.
Excuse the white fiberglass dust!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
looks good!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Michelangelo OP

I'm not having much luck hooking up the dash lights though. I've only got 6 wires from the Vapor dash lights and trying to hook them up to the stock harness I cut off from the OEM wrecked gauge cluster which has bout 18 wires! I've been trying to use the wiring diagram to hook them up but no luck. I already blew one fuse trying to do it.

Wish there was a guru who could help me!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,607
I'm thinking of putting a vapor unit on my 28 Indian for the Cannonball this year, as GPS's are not allowed, and for me to buy all the original stuff to put the correct speedo on it will cost me about 1500 bucks or so, (and it doesnt work so good anyhow) the vapor seems like a good idea.

Is there a particular model I should get?

Thanks, Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
Michelangelo OP

They sell one that is univeral for rightside up front forks. Rider's Discount or Siesmic Cycles has them fro $98 on fleabay including shipping!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I have a vapor on my GS750E, and love it so far. I've got the dashboard as well. The tach signal can be a bit finicky; I was told that it will be a lot more stable if you wire a dedicated circuit directly to the battery, as it uses this voltage as a reference. I currently have mine wired off of what used to be the gauge backlight power (the bike had mechanical gauges) and whenever I hit the brakes or use my signals or anything, the signal jumps. The bike also has a 2-stage charging system that can work harder above around 5k revs, so when it switches over, the tach stops rising. It's a little odd.

Also, if you install a temp sensor, note that the Vapor won't recognize that there is one plugged in until you do a trip meter reset, which is done by holding the center and left buttons iirc.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote