User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
My 2 pennies

Just got this 2006 wee $2,900 w/3K miles. It was owned by a gal that never rode it. Garage stored. The bike is in showroom condition.

Took it to Death Valley (2k mile round trip) and I love it. I was gonna replace my ADV with new 2012, but now I think I'll hang onto the wee and buy a $12k sport bike. Kinda like 2 for 1!

Katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
sasquatch98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by highball View Post
Yep, just looked at some old gas receipts showing 48-50 mpg U.S.
I think the guy on post #17 made a good point.
Perhaps the comparo needs to be with the V-strom 1000?
That might just be the ticket if a guy wants total reliability with power and doesn't need "something different" or thrilling.
I normally average 48mpg on my 05 Tiger that has the TOR exhaust and tune.
sasquatch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #33
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
In all fairness

I agree on the mileage, I have the Blue Flame exhaust and average 48 mpg (when I go easy on the throttle---rare--- under "normal" hooligan riding I still get 45mpg.)
But after reading my previous posts, I felt in all fairness I must state. I am not a rabid Triumph "maniac." I have owned many many brands, including a number of Suzukis over the years, numerous dirtbikes, a rare (and wish I hadn't sold) VX800, 2 Intruders (800 and 1400) a Marauder 800 and a 750 Katana, to a one I had never a single mechanical issue or complaint of any type, WONDERFUL bikes all and I would have anyone of them back in a heartbeat. IMHO I "like" the Tiger over the Strom. BUt its only my opinion. The Tiger is not for everybody, it is Tall, Top Heavy and if you are not skilled it can be a cruel mistress that WILL bite you. It is NOT a beginners bike. I had been riding 27 years before I got my Tiger.
In the end it really is a matter of what fits YOU and your needs and wallet the best. It doesn't matter if you ride a 250 Ninja or a giant 2300 cc Triumph Rocket 3, it only matters that you get out there and RIDE
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #34
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 209
Wee all the way!

Get the Wee.

First the Wee is NOT slow. Sure an SV650 is quicker, but not much. It covers the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds which is barely 2/10 of a second second slower than the F800GS or Tiger 800. For reference in the mid-eighties an RZ350 ran a 13.5 second 1/4 mile and was considered a crazy fast hooligan bike with its twin cylinder 350cc 2-stroke motor. My 2004 VFR ran a 11.25 second 1/4 mile and did not feel that much quicker to me unless above 9000 RPMs. Finally, few street cars other than exotics and pure muscle cars can do under a 14 second 1/4 mile in stock trim, which either bike can beat ... easily.

The Wee is reliable. Sure it will wear out bearings, shocks, and tires like any bike. But electrical systems, engine, transmission, and basic hardware are extremely reliable in my experience as good as any Japanese bike I've owned. Consequently, you can rev it all day without fear of a break down or a speeding ticket.

A piped Wee will sound good.

A stock Tiger will sound good.

Both good choices, but do not dismiss a modern 650cc twin just because by today's high standards it's spec sheet does not seem very impressive!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Yenool OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked

I never said the 'zuki motor wasn't fun. I love my SV. The grunt of the V-twin is great! I've never ridden a Triumph Triple and just hear they are awesome. Just based on availability and price I'm def leaning towards a Wee. Just found (aka Trohpy Hunter told me about it) a forum for local san diego dual sporters and a guy on a Vee (1000cc) has been going on some of their rides. So here's to me having a new bike in the next 2 months.
Yenool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
YEs, all very true Zen. And as I stated in previous post its ALL good.

But a "piped" Tiger sounds down right WICKED!!!!

---Sorry, I am totally just being a d*** at this point.--

The Wee is a very capable ride. And certainly tons of fun. Katze got a hell of a deal on his. CHEERS to finding an equally good deal on yours
Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #37
CMASCR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tiger 955i

Just read through the thread. I've ridden a 2006 Tiger since I bought it new in 06. I live in Mississippi and don't use the bike for local (short) rides. I've taken two trips about 1000 miles into Mexico. Ridden across Donner pass in a blizard, cut through Colorado alone on dirt roads and trails and spent a couple of days chasing friends on GS 650s and a Wee Strom around fire trails in Idaho. The bike has been rock solid and great fun on road and off. Currently I'm in the middle of a major suspension overhaul and switching the cast wheels out to spoked wheels. I do have a custom skid plate ready to install but haven't attacked that yet. I run Happy Trail bags (panniers), ROX Risers, Some kind of crash bars I ordered from England and a corbin seat. (That comment about the stock seat being all day comfortable made me laugh). All that adds up to a little over 30,000 miles. I've replaced the chain and sprokets twice, Oil and filter every 3,000 or so miles, installed a K&N air filter and had the valves checked twice but no adjustments needed either time. I will be doing the valves when I get the bike back together this time. The bike is rock solid and runs out in the mountains like a sportbike. It's a blast to ride. It's not the perfect off-road bike (too tall, I'm 5'10" and has too much power) but I wouldn't trade it for a VStrom or GS anything. I like it and it has never had a mechanical issue. The engine is fantastic. I recommend the Tiger over the Strom anyday. I will say the Triumph 800 looks good though.
CMASCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #38
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
After selling my Wee in the fall, I picked up a 2003 Tiger this week. What a difference.

The Wee was an okay bike, did everything I asked of it, but it lacked soul. The Tiger is just the opposite; the growl of the engine makes me smile. Can't believe I didn't discover this bike years ago.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
Yenool OP
Adventurer

rut-ro
I test rode a 955i yesterday. I fear there may be no going back. I didn't go "hooligan" on a bike that wasn't mine, but acceleration was very smooth. Didn't seem as abrupt as my SV650S (same engine as VStrom more or less I've read). Less engine braking in the Tiger, but man o man, that thing seems great for what I want to do. Now I still haven't ridden a Strom yet, but that Tiger is enticing. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see how I feel in a few days...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #40
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Tiger

I bought an '01 Tiger back in October and while I haven't had it that long and have only put about 3K on it, it is by far the best bike purchase I have made; it is just an absolute blast to ride.

I wish I would have bought one of these years ago...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
ADV.John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I was going to say that. If you can manage to ride the Tiger without a issue. Then you will buy one. I see now that you did infact ride one ok.

Now for my two pence worth. I used to own/ride a Aprilia Caponord.( 33000 miles on her) before I part ext her for a 2010 model DL650. reason for this was weight/height/MPG 45 to 65 with the Wee. Speed was becoming a issue In the uk, The law/police are targeting speeding. and its so eay to speed on the 1k bikes. At first i found my Wee a little slower then the Capo. However after a little while you become use to it & you get just as much fun at more legal speeds.plus the saying you get more out of riding a slower bike fast then a bigger one slower. the Wee will corner better then the tiger. The tiger will be better two up. however the Wee is ok two up, But you will feel it a little.

It depend also on how tall you are & how heavy you are. My Wee is good for me & my mrs, I weight approx 13st and the boss weights 7.5st. I'm 5.8ft. 29 inside leg. our last trip we did 2511 miles in 6 days two up fully loaded. sat nav speed @ 80mph I was getting 65mpg (uk gallons). Just one more thing before i go. My Wee is cheaper to insure to.

I hope you find this helpful.
John

ADV.John screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 08:14 PM
ADV.John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #42
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I own an '01 Tiger and regularly ride a Wee as a friend of mine has one and wants to trade bikes every time we ride . His Wee has been spot on reliable for him for years and he loves it, but he is willing to cheat on it every time the Tiger shows up in his driveway. I, on the other hand, do not particularly enjoy the trade.

The tiger, other than having an aftermarket shock go out on me, has been worry free for several years now. She has 43000 miles on her and I regularly get 48 mpg and can get 52 mpg when I concentrate on driving more conservatively (which is hard to do with the triple). I love the old girl and have even considered buying a used motor off ebay for her so that 60-65000 miles from now I can dump the new motor in her and keep going. The new 800 and 1200 tigers look very interesting but unless something dramatic happens with the finances I'll be riding the girlie for a very long time.

I think EvilClown and several of the other folks who have posted make great points as there many good bikes out there but I regularly see girlies in the $3500-$4000 range and believe that they represent one of the very best values out there. The Wee will do a great job for you but the Tiger will do a great job as well and will make you smile every time you twist the throttle.

Good Luck with whatever you choose,

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Bang for the Buck?

We take 4-6 hour rides twisties + gravel roads almost every weekend, and my mates run on KTM 950/990s, BMW GS/GSAs, Triumph 800XCs, and V-Stroms. I ride a 2000 Tiger which I bought for $700. No problem keeping up or leading in any terrain.

I don't think I enjoy my ride any less than my fellow riders. Brilliant motor: Plenty of torque, smooth; comfortable 2-up with camping gear; Acerbis plastic tank good for 250 miles+; heated grips, 12V aux power for my vest/GPS. Top Heavy! Just as unmanageable off-road as any of the other bikes. The big Negative: the Girlie is FUGLY ... so I do drool over the Katooms! which are just as ugly as the GSs.

Research on the 955i and riding experience revealed a few critical weaknesses that can easily be addressed:
  1. Suspension: Too soft, but only the BMW Telelever or KTM WP suspension has this beat. Fix: Ricor Intiminators[/URL] (or RaceTech Emulators) fork mod, Ohlins/Penske/HyperPro Shock.
  2. Fuel coupling: Fragile plastic. replace with Colder CPC Stainless Steel from QuickCouplings[/URL] ($50 fix)
  3. Tires: Same deal with any of the big trailees; Recommend Heidenau K60s[/URL] ; Pro/Cons of a 19" Front wheel
  4. Rubber pegs: Replace with serrated PivotPegz[/URL]
  5. Better bash plate: But many of the newer bikes are running plastic bash plates.
  6. Windscreen - wind buffeting
  7. If you submerge the bike in water: You have to remove the fuel tank and air box to get to the sparkplugs.
If you get the first 4 issues sorted, and assuming you've installed crash bars/engine guards, you'll be on par with any of the other bikes.. at a much smaller investment. I'm only $2000 in the hole.

If you go with the V-Strom, DL1000 that is, you'd still have to address suspension and the protection. You'll never match the Triumph Triple motor.

All bikes are a compromise, but you can ride anything anywhere:

On our last ride I was inspired by Sjaak Lucassen off-road on an R-1! See video: http://youtu.be/ThO-w9SCM8I The fastest bike off-road last weekend was the Triumph Bonneville, until he bottomed out and lost his left chromed reverse cone muffler. - No worries: we had tools. We creamed our bash plates on a few rocks and logs.

If you go off-road be prepared to drop your bike... standard technique on a failed hill climb is:
  1. turn right,
  2. drop left to keep wheels downhill.
  3. If front wheel is further uphill, drag... yes drag.. the bike around to point the front wheel downhill.
How much $$$ can you afford on a bike and not feel bad when you have to do what's necessary to off-road.

Love what you ride, and ride the hell out of it!

Seavoyage screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 09:47 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
Yenool OP
Adventurer

I definitely wasn't including the Tiger as a budget option. I've seen a couple 2003-2005s out there since I started this thread and they're all selling for about the same as an ~07 Wee Strom ($5k +/- $500). My reasoning for the Triumph was the "wow" factor I keep hearing about, plus the fact that I basically own the hunched over version of the 650 Strom in my SV.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenool View Post
I definitely wasn't including the Tiger as a budget option. I've seen a couple 2003-2005s out there since I started this thread and they're all selling for about the same as an ~07 Wee Strom ($5k +/- $500). My reasoning for the Triumph was the "wow" factor I keep hearing about, plus the fact that I basically own the hunched over version of the 650 Strom in my SV.
The Tiger lost it's 9.3" (230mm)/7.9"(200mm) long travel suspension after 2001. 2002 forks reduced to 180mm, and 2005-2006 were 170mm just like the 1050. All were 43mm damper rod, KYB non adjustable forks; but the fork caps can be replaced with pre-load adjusters off a Speed Four.

2002-2006 were very much road oriented, with the 2005-2006 going further (less suspension travel) and loosing the wire spoked wheels. The 2006 had 1050 lower cases. If for some odd reason you feel the Tiger is underpowered just swap out cams/heads/pistons and use Speed Triple ECU maps (download free from TuneECU ). For reliability on any ADVenture tourer, I recommend keeping the motor and auxilliaries as stock as possible.

Just as the Tiger needs prep for off-road, a V-Strom would need the appropriate suspension mods, protective farkles, and appropriate tyres.

The opposite end of the spectrum from the BMW R1200 GSA is most likely the KLR... Interesting video on DS/ADV bike selection criteria: "Which Dual-Sport Motorcycle is Right for You?" Although a bit extreme, there's a lot of truth supporting the opinion.

A significant determing factor in selecting your motorcycle is: if you plan on adventure tours across borders. Be aware of the cost of Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) A trip into Egypt would require security = 800% the value of your vehicle. South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal) or Iran: 500% ; South America: 300%; Kenya, Nigeria, Libya, the Middle East, Malaysia or Singapore: 200%. The rest of Africa, Japan, Australia or New Zealand: 150% .

Add to the planning the availability of spare parts and adequate fuel. Sudenly air-cooled and carburated XLs, KLRs, and DR become very attractive. An Indian Enfield or Ural would be brilliant!

Back in the day, they rode what they brung. Outta Sight Racing ran a 1972 Honda SL350 in a recent Baja 1000 followed by using the same bike in Flat Track, MX, Road Racing, and Trials!

Seavoyage screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 08:35 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote