Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #61
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
hey jphish, if you don't mind me getting personal, what's your height and inseam.... i've looked at the palmer and madstad but haven't pulled the trigger yet... madstad didn't appeal because the overlap between the screen and base was so huge i thought it looked funky.... i'm very sensitive to wind noise and buffeting so getting good wind protection would be a huge plus for me...

other than that, loving my '06 girlie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
...AND...silver color hides dirt better. For folks with wind / buffeting issues - the palmer brackets & medium screen transformed my 06' girlie into a GREAT adventure tourer. 80 mph (only where legal of course) is now free of 'bad wind'.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #62
BuffaloAl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
This is a pretty entertaining thread. I started reading it because my wife has a 2005 Wee that she hardly ever rides. She had an unfortunate get off and really hasn't wanted to ride much since. I have a 2003 V (the yellow faster kind), and I love it. I also have a 2007 KLR 650 which I love.

I have been thinking of farkling up my wife's wee for touring. I tour mostly alone and the only complaint I have on my Strom is the fuel economy. I generally get about 40 to 45 (US) when I am fully loaded and riding fast. I know that power is nice, but I love the thought of being able to tour farther on less fuel. For the Wee riders here, is the Wee competent under full load when touring? I think I probably have close to sixty pounds of gear plus my bulk (200+ pounds, although I hate to admit it). Will the Wee be able to haul my gear and my corpulent arse around?
BuffaloAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #63
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
40-45!?!? I'm jealous, I get a solid 35 at 80mph unloaded!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #64
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Not Scottish, originally born close to Belfast.

Been biking over 30yrs, loving it still.
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #65
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Ivscrvs - Dont mind revealing my diminuitive stats: 5'8" - 30" inseam. The Palmer also provides "gap" at bottom of screen. I'm no areodynamic expert - but apparently necessary to equalize pressure & prevent the excessive turbulance we're trying to eliminate. All I know is...it works. I can iphone a pic if you wish - send me your email add. OR...go in Palmer site - he shows a silver girlie with brackets / medium screen. TTFN, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
hey jphish, if you don't mind me getting personal, what's your height and inseam.... i've looked at the palmer and madstad but haven't pulled the trigger yet... madstad didn't appeal because the overlap between the screen and base was so huge i thought it looked funky.... i'm very sensitive to wind noise and buffeting so getting good wind protection would be a huge plus for me...

Have a Madstad on my 03 Girlie and love it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansi65/6933114561/
I actually do think it has improved the looks of her. Big initial investment and had to alter/customize the baseplate to get the screen lower so I can look over the windshield while riding with all of my 5'10", but what a difference. Very little turbulence and noise now compared to the head-shaking and headaches from the 13"MRA that I was running before. Keeps a huge amount of wind and rain off your torso too.

hansi screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 04:22 PM Reason: pic linky bad
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #67
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Hansi, Thanks for the pic. I had a Madstad on both of my stroms. Worked very well. Strom or Tiger, they all seem to need one of these arrangements to manage the airflow better. I also got some pics from jphish of the Palmer on his Tiger. The two systems are very similar, except the Madstad uses the base plate. Just for shits and giggles, and because I'm cheap and have some windshields lying around, I've made a couple of base plates, then some spacers out of ... I think it was delrin.... to accomplish the same result. Still a work in progress... fingers crossed...

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #68
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Hansi, Thanks for the pic. I had a Madstad on both of my stroms. Worked very well. Strom or Tiger, they all seem to need one of these arrangements to manage the airflow better. I also got some pics from jphish of the Palmer on his Tiger. The two systems are very similar, except the Madstad uses the base plate. Just for shits and giggles, and because I'm cheap and have some windshields lying around, I've made a couple of base plates, then some spacers out of ... I think it was delrin.... to accomplish the same result. Still a work in progress... fingers crossed...
You really got my attention with that. How about some pictures?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #69
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

I have had great results with the MRA Vario screen (the adjustable "wing" looks a bit odd but grows on you) about a 50% improvement over stock.
Somethings to consider also
#1. What type helmet do you have? I switched from a Sparx helmet to an AGV and the better aerodynamics of the helmet helped more than the screen.
now about a 70% improvement over stock.
then........
#2. Adjust the mirrors!!! On my '05 the left mirror bracket is taller than the right one....meaning the right mirror sits almost 1 3/4" lower than the left. By simply loosening the stalk and moving it up, and loosening the mirror itself and moving out a bit I closed the gap to about 1/4" and the improvement in buffeting was HUGE compared to the new screen AND the helmet. And best of all that little trick didn't cost a dime!
Brought overall wind protection up to about 98% better than stock.
I now ride an '05 Tiger with virtually no buffeting, no neck fatigue and a HUGE smile on my face mile after mile.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #70
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
i don't doubt about the mirrors etc... on the Weestrom, several things virtually eliminated buffeting other than on stormy days with lots of shifting crosswinds [which nothing will fix]:
I dumped the oddball stock mirrors for bikemaster round 6" stems. smooth through the wind
added madstad & Givi shield
removed the splash dam under the ugly nosecone. not only does that change dramatically the airflow around the nose, but it gets rid of the "lifting" or "floating" effect lots of 'strommers complain about. I run my fork all the way up ... nose in the air at the top of the tube with no issues.

i run almost year round with the shield in the lowest position, tilted back almost full allowance. I'm 6'2"

that all said, the right windshield for the Wee has not been made to my knowledge. it needs something that has a bottom width close to the same width as those fairing 'wings' on the outside because those odd body features produce some turbulence - plus it would look so much better to have something actually matchup to the shape of that ugly frontend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
I have had great results with the MRA Vario screen (the adjustable "wing" looks a bit odd but grows on you) about a 50% improvement over stock.
#1. What type helmet do you have? I switched from a Sparx helmet to an AGV and the better aerodynamics of the helmet helped more than the screen.
then........
#2. Adjust the mirrors!!! On my '05 the left mirror bracket is taller than the right one....meaning the right mirror sits almost 1 3/4" lower than the left. By simply loosening the stalk and moving it up, and loosening the mirror itself and moving out a bit I closed the gap to about 1/4" and the improvement in buffeting was HUGE compared to the new screen AND the helmet. And best of all that little trick didn't cost a dime!
I now ride an '05 Tiger with virtually no buffeting, no neck fatigue and a HUGE smile on my face mile after mile.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #71
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

I use a Scorpion... I think its an EX900.. something like that... the modular one. Big helmet, but fiarly quiet and aero.

I installed the Aprilia Tuono mirrors on my Tiger a while back. Pretty aero and look good too. Again, these are items I had on my previous Strom. Like em.

I'll get some pics up later this week. Bike is in the shop with the shock removed and on a plane to Hagon in the UK for rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
then........

Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #72
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
You really got my attention with that. How about some pictures?
Here you go.... still a work in progress... simple, but fairly effective... i'm a real glutton for low wind noise... tinitus sucks

Base plate was a piece of plastic from Tap plastics... pretty easy to shape with a heat gun... along with delrin spacers and hardware I figure I'm into it for about $12 (had the screen already)

Handguards probably add to buffeting, but they are nice to have in the cold months....

IIRC, mirrors are Aprilia tuono. They fit perfectly. Smaller mirror, but good enough.

I have a second base plate and a larger screen that I am playing with. Hope to get just a little better wind protection on the highway.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #73
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloAl View Post
This is a pretty entertaining thread. I started reading it because my wife has a 2005 Wee that she hardly ever rides. She had an unfortunate get off and really hasn't wanted to ride much since. I have a 2003 V (the yellow faster kind), and I love it. I also have a 2007 KLR 650 which I love.

I have been thinking of farkling up my wife's wee for touring. I tour mostly alone and the only complaint I have on my Strom is the fuel economy. I generally get about 40 to 45 (US) when I am fully loaded and riding fast. I know that power is nice, but I love the thought of being able to tour farther on less fuel. For the Wee riders here, is the Wee competent under full load when touring? I think I probably have close to sixty pounds of gear plus my bulk (200+ pounds, although I hate to admit it). Will the Wee be able to haul my gear and my corpulent arse around?

Depends on speed. At about 80mph the 1000 and 650 economy is about the same. Weight doesn't have much effect on economy, but top boxes and side cases will.

Power isn't a problem unless you expect to be able to pass quickly from an 80mph start. Up to 70-80mph performance is pretty comparable between the two bikes. The wee will be using more rpm and changing gear more though.

Peter
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #74
sooner02r1
Wannabe

Oddometer: 311
I'm jealous! my 1000 averages around 33mpg at 80-90mph interstate commuting everyday, and in 11,000 miles of owning it I've never seen more than 36mpg on a tank and that was babying it
Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #75
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,731
old thread, but these are the 2 bikes I'm thinking about.

Might get one or the other, used. $4000-5000 to spend.

I've seen low mileage examples of both bikes in that range.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote