User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
AllBlak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Brazing Rod?

Anyone know what temperature is required to braze?
Can I do it with a propane, ore butane torch, of do I need Oxy-Acetylene?
Anyone have a rod for a small project?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,045
A brazed joint requires a melting temp of at least 840*... any less and it would be soldered. In the plumbing world with a typical copper-copper joint and 0-15% silver filler rod, the temp is closer to 1200*+. Depending on what size material you are trying to braze, you can use an acetylene torch (without oxygen) but you have less control of your heat than if you were to use oxy-acetylene. For example, I regularly braze 1/2" and 3/4" copper pipe with just a "B" bottle, depending what the system will be used for, I will sometimes braze 1" with the B bottle as well. Anything larger and I always break out the oxy-acetylene rig.

In theory, a propane torch is hot enough, the problem is that it is nearly impossible to keep your entire joint hot enough for the filler to flow with propane alone. If you have a VERY small joint, propane just might work.

I'd bet you could buy individual filler rods at the hardware store instead of buying a $100 tube.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,390
Before I had a proper oxy-acetylene setup I had one of these, Paid less than $50 for it :

Worked great for small projects. Brazed many exhaust and was pretty handy for heating up stubborn bolts at the junkyard. What are you trying to braze with it?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,097
When I silver brazed a bandsaw blade I tried a propane torch and it didn't work so I had to use Oxy-acetylene. I got small quantities of silver solder from http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Silver-Wire-Solder-20-Ga-Easy/101100?Pos=1
The flux http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Han.../504088?Pos=16 cost much more than the small quantity of solder I bought.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,559
I use the Handy Flux as sold by Rio Grande (among others) and the Superior Brazing Flux No. 2 (http://www.superiorflux.com/anti_bor...e_brazing.html). I like to use Harris Safety Silv 56 brazing rod (BAg-7) which works for ferrous and non-ferrous alloys (http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/e...Silv-56FC.aspx). I have always brazed copper or copper alloys with oxy-actylene. For stainless steel and thin steel, I have used mapp gas.

Edit: Ebay has some reasonable prices on Harris Safety Silv 56 brazing kits: http://www.ebay.com/itm/56K-Harris-S...item25a437029f

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 04-18-2015 at 02:10 PM
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 6,060
I use Eutectic 1020XFC flux coated rod. It's cadmium free and melts at 1020F. I use oxy-acetylene and adjust the flame very slightly excess acetylene to ensure it's a non-oxidizing flame.
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,228
You can braze small joints with propane, it's time consuming and more difficult than with a hotter flame. You can also use mapp gas for a little bigger joint, but not much.

Don't tell, but once in a while I commandeer my wife's glass torch for a bit more heat, it's a smaller oxy-propane set up, but much hotter than mapp or propane by itself. It's nice since it runs off an oxygen concentrator and a standard BBQ grill tank.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,725
Would be nice to know exactly what the OP has to braze?

And with what type of brazing rod? I do have quite a lot of bronze rods here and glad that I do, getting rather expensive.

Not even sure if it is the lower melting point type such as the really nice blue rods we used back then for autobody and sheet metals, I think the color coding may depend on manufacturers.

And I do need a 00 tip and maybe even a 000 for my Oxy/acetylene set up.But yes I use Oxy/Propane for the bigger heating jobs when I want to save my acetylene.

For them tiny jobs with the bronze, the O tip is too big and at $10.00 for an oxygen bottle that last a few minutes, the little Benzomatic set up has long ago been relegated to the drawer of old useless broken tools.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,357
Check out Mapp gas. It is a lot hotter than propane and it uses the same torch. Mapp is a brand name for methylacetylene and propadiene. You can find other brands with the same ingredients.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote