Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #46
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Thats odd that a motorcycle shop around you doesnt have a set of cones for a single sided wheel . You can buy a set from No-Mar along with a balancer . Also , Harbor Freight has a good balancer thats cheap and works great .

There is a shop in Eau Claire that sells Triumph bikes, some of which have single-sided wheels. I remember taking my BMW rear wheel there to get balanced and I wasn't impressed with the job they did or what I paid.

The next best option is the Twin Cities, which is about 90 minutes away.

There is a Harbor Freight here in Eau Claire, and they have that balancer on sale for $39.99.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Thanks to this thread, I'm revising my answer to $0
OK, so $50 for the tire irons, $75 for the balancer (FM Mark Parnes), $30 for the harbor freight bead breaker (works perfectly) $7 for the rim protectors and $15 for a lifetime supply of tire lube. I think I'll be leaving the tub to someone in my will!

Did my first tire a few weeks ago. Now I just need to figure out how to better protect the finish on the wheels.
The rim protectors I bought didn't do squat... in fact, they didnt even want to stay in place.

Did one tire so far, have at least 5 tires to do this year... by the end of summer I'll be making money off the purchase.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #48
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Thanks to this thread, I'm revising my answer to $0
OK, so $50 for the tire irons, $75 for the balancer (FM Mark Parnes), $30 for the harbor freight bead breaker (works perfectly) $7 for the rim protectors and $15 for a lifetime supply of tire lube. I think I'll be leaving the tub to someone in my will!

Did my first tire a few weeks ago. Now I just need to figure out how to better protect the finish on the wheels.
The rim protectors I bought didn't do squat... in fact, they didnt even want to stay in place.

Did one tire so far, have at least 5 tires to do this year... by the end of summer I'll be making money off the purchase.
The last time I changed my tires I used an empty oil jug. I cut the plastic into strips and put that between my spoon and the rim. They were a little slippery, what with the oil residue and everything, but they worked better than nothing. The normal rim protectors don't fit on my BMW tubeless spoked rim.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #49
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,900
Like I said , the HB balancer works great . A set of spoons and rim protectors will work . Just need cones like No-Mar has and weights . Anyone can do this at home with relative ease .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #50
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Hermy's in Port Clinton PA; met them during a trip a few years ago.
- don't recall exact price, but do remember that it was about same as Internet cost for the tire, m&b was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what I had paid at another dealer in Roch NY area.
- worth noting;
I wasn't familiar with Hermy's shop until the friendly guys @ BOB's BMW in Jessup MD told me they might be a closer alternative to their own. Highly appreciate that & like spending some of Internet $ there because of it.
Service manager @ Hermy's told me as long as I made it in before 5 they would take care of me. That was on a gorgeous Friday afternoon. I was in & out in less than 45 minutes. Great experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #51
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
The last time I changed my tires I used an empty oil jug. I cut the plastic into strips and put that between my spoon and the rim. They were a little slippery, what with the oil residue and everything, but they worked better than nothing. The normal rim protectors don't fit on my BMW tubeless spoked rim.

I'll try the jugs. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #52
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Just wanted to add my shop into the mix, SikMoto in San Luis Obispo, CA - serving the entire San Luis Obispo County / Central Coast area.

Located at 3576 Empleo, San Luis Obispo CA 93401 just off the 101 in San Luis.

New and used tires in stock along with a ton of other moto related stuff - work on street bikes, ADV stuff, scooters, dirt bikes, quads, whatever!

Just $20 wheel off the bike or $40 wheel on the bike, most of the time while you wait! Ill mount tires a customer carries in or buys from me. Includes wheel cleaning, tire disposal and computerized balancing.

24 hour towing or emergency tire service also available.

www.Facebook.com/SikMoto
Old 06-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
http://www.mototireguy.com in San Francisco (south end of the city).
He charges $22 each for a mount & balance.
Plus $20 if it's on the bike.
Plus $2 for legal disposal.

You can have tires shipped directly to him from several reputable tire stores.

He lives in a residential neighborhood, and schedules 1 appointment per hour.
He won't work on loud bikes, because he likes his neighbors.

He's done several tires for me, and more for friends. Good guy, super quick service (15 minutes per tire), and appointments only, so there's no waiting.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #54
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,684
I change and balance my own so its free ..... and yes I have invested some money in tire equipment but after decades of doing it myself I am pretty sure I have more than paid off that gear Do I pay myself to do no but its relaxing and I actually enjoy working on my bikes....
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #55
driftindan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
$25 + $5 tire disposal fee. I took the wheel in off the bike and also talked him out of the $10 penalty fee for bringing in my own tire. $10 tacked on because I got my tire from somewhere else? I took a stand on that one and was prepared to go somewhere else but the owner is a nice guy and agreed.

The Zen House
Point Arena, CA
driftindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #56
2012BlackKLR650
KTM 690 Enduro *****

Oddometer: 34
Tire changes in Missoula, MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER View Post
$10 for a mount and balance if you carry it in (removed from the bike) here in Missoula Montana at 5 Valley Honda. They usually do it quickly too.
Just an update.... I called 5 Valley in Missoula, MT ( I live in Missoula)....they are $25 per tire (carried in) including balancing. $15. if no balancing

Big Sky Kawi in Missoula charges $25 per tire (I didn't ask, but assumed w/balancing)....$53 per tire if you bring the whole bike in....

There is a guy who has his own shop at his house...does off the bike for $25 a piece including dynamic and static balancing. iverson@iversonscandinavian.com. I spoke with him, and he seems like a straight up guy who knows his stuff. He does NOT offer a discount if you don't want balancing.

I have decided that for $15 per tire ( I am not having them balanced because I have ordered and will use the DYNABEADS....we shall see...) it is not worth me playing with my tire spoons.... $30 bucks and no struggles sound good to me, I will save my spoons and tubes for when I need an emergency road repair. But for a planned tire change. $30 buks is worth my saving my fine musician hands on other labor..... ;)
2012BlackKLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #57
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
I did not use this shop... their prices encouraged me to learn to change my own tires. Did my first set successfully a few weeks ago . But since we're listing prices and local shops, here we go:

Greater Boston Motorsports
Arlington, MA

Buy tires from them:
Wheels on bike: $40/tire mount and balance
Carry your wheels in: $20/tire mount and balance

Buy tires online and carry in - OR - buy tires from them with internet price match:
Wheels on bike: $80/tire mount and balance
Carry your wheels in: $40/tire mount and balance
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #58
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,464
OK, read the thread title.

Does it say "The thread for propping up your ego by bragging about how you change your own tires while girly men have to pay someone else to do it"?

No?

If you don't pay for your tire changes, move along
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #59
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Does it say "The thread for propping up your ego by bragging about how you change your own tires while girly men have to pay someone else to do it"?
You sound very sensitive about this issue. Tell us about your feelings...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #60
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
OK, read the thread title.

No?

If you don't pay for your tire changes, move along
Dude. I contributed with some real life pricing, didn't I? Yeesh. That's how much I'd pay... I figured other inmates would appreciate the local intel.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote