Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #151
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Mike, Renner, and I went out to "church" yesterday morning, meeting the rev. Chuck and John out there for breakfast:)

It was nice to get out and ride! The house has consumed me (as many foretold it would). We ran into just a bit of rain, but it was a great morning:)

Chuck's bicycle bell!

I love this bike!!

You can see Renner's /5, and Mike's 650 behind that, and of course Chuck's /6 on the right.

Chuck has some fun details on his bike:)

some local wild life on Chuck's helmet:)

so still no wrenching. bah. My bar-end mirrors arrived from Dime City, but they've been a huge frustration - not at all the easy, fun, quick distraction I had hoped. I have a few emails and a call into DCC - I need some replacement parts already. We'll see what happens. The mirrors are pretty lying on the bench, but I can't for the life of me get one installed. It was seriously easier to rebuild my carbs:(

Until next time!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #152
apt13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
yeah man, ride! haha.
sorry about your mirrors. not sure what the issue is with the dime city deals but it seems like people have the most positive experiences with the napoleon bar end mirrors. i've had no issues with mine whatsoever. i can't really get the photos on the dime city site to load correctly, what do they even look like?
Airhead Tshirts!
apt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #153
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

the DCC mirrors are:

and they seem well built for the most part, but the little expansion anchors are not working so good...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #154
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

some fun news - I'm all signed up for the West Coast Gear Box Tech Day:) I'm really looking forward to this! I can't wait to learn all about the little elves that make my bike work;) Sadly, the other airhead I know that was going to go doesn't think he can make it after all, so it looks like I'm heading north in June solo. Any other inmates going?

spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #155
Player B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
the DCC mirrors are:

and they seem well built for the most part, but the little expansion anchors are not working so good...
I used the same mirror on my recent build. Didn't use the bar ends that came with them though. They look great and the quality of the mirror and stem are good, but the supplied spacers didn't provide enough compression to hold the mirror in place, no matter how much I tightened down the bolt. I ended up machining a delrin spacer to go over my clip ons. It's on there rock solid now
Player B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #156
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player B View Post
They look great and the quality of the mirror and stem are good...
agreed!, but yeah, the hardware included kind of sucked (short bolts, poorly designed). HOWEVER! I finally got the mirrors on last night. It took some replacement hardware from DCC (which they were kind enough to send me for free), and some modification and problem solving, but they are on, and solid now:)

To celebrate I went for a little 20 mile ride last night:) only to come home and realize that my brake light wasn't functioning properly! GAH! turns out the brake lever is rubbing on the muffler. so the lever is not returning to its "off" position (leaving the brake light always on). My initial inspection shows a solid mounted muffler, not dangling down at all, but i did find lot of carbon on the header pipe where the muffler is clamped on, indicating my clamp wasn't clamped enough! My theory is that the muffler has slid out somehow and is bowing down (hinging at that clamp that wasn't clamped). I need to investigate more...

Also, changed the transmission fluid this weekend just because my fingernails were to clean. the fluid is looking better than it used to! (still not perfect of course) but the plug is covered after only a hundred miles:(

I think i need to get into this soon. (looks like I might not make the gear box tech day after all... will know soon)

happy tuesday everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #157
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
GAH! turns out the brake lever is rubbing on the muffler. so the lever is not returning to its "off" position (leaving the brake light always on)
Aftermarket mufflers? The may not have the required "dent" around the brake lever. See where the lever is contacting it, and bang in soem clearance. Stock muffler/correct "dent"? The welded-on tube on the frame that the brake pivot bearing passes through may have gotten bent upward. Remove the brake lever, insert a rod into the tube and bend downward. This happens from time to time.

Quote:
but the [tranny drain] plug is covered after only a hundred miles:(
Not at all good. That looks like many thousands of miles of fuzz, not hundreds. Start thinking tranny rebuild (probably just bearings at this point). I suspected that the watery oil was not a good sign. :( :(
Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #158
Werner1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
some fun news - I'm all signed up for the West Coast Gear Box Tech Day:) I'm really looking forward to this! I can't wait to learn all about the little elves that make my bike work;) Sadly, the other airhead I know that was going to go doesn't think he can make it after all, so it looks like I'm heading north in June solo. Any other inmates going?

spencer
Hey there - I'm going too. I'm bringing a couple '78 5-speed gearboxes for rehab. I'm looking to carpool up from LA if you're looking for company and gas money. I'm signed up for Friday morning and am in no rush to leave before Sunday.
Werner1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #159
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Aftermarket mufflers? The may not have the required "dent" around the brake lever. See where the lever is contacting it, and bang in soem clearance. Stock muffler/correct "dent"? The welded-on tube on the frame that the brake pivot bearing passes through may have gotten bent upward. Remove the brake lever, insert a rod into the tube and bend downward. This happens from time to time.

Not at all good. That looks like many thousands of miles of fuzz, not hundreds. Start thinking tranny rebuild (probably just bearings at this point). I suspected that the watery oil was not a good sign. :( :(
yeah:( I just need the tranny to last until after May 5th - there is a local tech day (Stoner's!) i want to ride it to. After that, i'm making plans to really take the bike apart... should be a fun month;)

I got the brake light working last night. I don't know what the ultimate cause of the problem was, but I loosened up all the exhaust parts, whacked the headers a few times with my rubber mallet, tightened everything back up, and lo and behold, the brake lever works again. you can see the clearance i have on:

so i guess if a few bolts weren't tight enough i could have easily lost the mm of clearance i have. I know these are aftermarket mufflers, but does anyone know if this is a normal amount of clearance to the brake pedal/lever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner1111 View Post
Hey there - I'm going too. I'm bringing a couple '78 5-speed gearboxes for rehab. I'm looking to carpool up from LA if you're looking for company and gas money. I'm signed up for Friday morning and am in no rush to leave before Sunday.
As i told Werner1111 privately (btw he has an AWESOME /7 he needs to share with everyone else;) ), I have given up my spot at the gearbox tech day. I'm sad about this, but it makes sense for me. oh well. maybe there will be one farther south that I'll be able to attend some day.

I rode the bike to work today:) still getting used to the little bar-end mirrors, but I like them! and I'm off to SD BMW to get some crush washers at lunch for a fun little errand...

almost the weekend!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #160
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:
Aftermarket mufflers? The may not have the required "dent" around the brake lever. See where the lever is contacting it, and bang in some clearance.
good call
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #161
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
yeah:( I just need the tranny to last until after May 5th - there is a local tech day (Stoner's!) i want to ride it to. After that, i'm making plans to really take the bike apart... should be a fun month;)
May 5th i sjust around the corner and it should last (unless SD BMW is in South Dakota). If your mentors have't said "Eewww, lissen to dem tranny bearin's" they should be good for the three weeks. At this point the tranny work is inevitable, but not critical.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #162
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
(unless SD BMW is in South Dakota)
that would be a hell of a lunch break.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #163
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

What a night!

Renner and I formed a plan. It was a Bold plan. It was a Daring plan. It was a plan where many things could go wrong!

Since Renner has like 20 bikes [;)], he offered to let me borrow a transmission from a R100/7 so i could keep riding and enjoying my R80/7 while i sort out my own transmission problems. He made me feel good about it like I was doing him a favor by letting his gearbox get some action, but it was a very generous offer - one that i accepted!

This evening after work I met him in Renner's Magical Shop of Wonderment and we took the transmission out of the R100/7. With my "help" ;) we got the tranny out in 2 hours.

It was AWESOME. I learned so much! I've been doing a lot of reading about transmission repair/removal/installation, but nothing compares to DOING and having someone that knows what they're doing showing you. I can't thank him enough! He also sent me home with his 27mm swing arm nut socket tool and a torque wrench (my own doesn't read low enough).

I got home, had some dinner thoroughly seasoned with Tapatio, and fueled by heartburn I went out to the garage to christen it with some serious wrenching.

at 40 minutes:

I had a HELL of a time getting the rubber boot thing off the shift lever. I tore it a little bit:( But this was the hardest part and the worst thing that happened!

This little clip that holds on the lower clutch lever pivot pin caused serious problems for Renner and I, but since i now knew to look for it it was super easy to get out and then remove the pin:

BOOM BABY. 90 minutes start to finish - including some cleaning/organization at the beginning - and the tranny is out:

Below are some pics of the spline and clutch and stuff, I don't know how they are supposed to look so any comments are extremely welcome, as well as suggestions for maintenance. I'm going to try to get Renner's transmission in this week, so i'm not looking to do anything immediately, but I can be ready for anything when I swap them back after I fix my tranny...

a thick coating of black on the back of the gearbox.

gearbox spline - looks pretty good to my untrained eye

under the transmission - the shelf is pretty sludgy

clutch

fly wheel behind the clutch? is that thing leaking back there? is that bad?

the U joint?

Anything else I should take a look at or post a picture of?

At the moment I don't even care if my bearings have disintegrated and my gear box is f*cked - I had a great time:) I feel so manly it's like I grew 2 extra balls.

www.blindfishz.com
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #164
Mal S7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Splines look good.
Oil leaks don't.

Thanks for the posts and pics. Its an enjoyable read.

cheers
Mal
Mal S7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #165
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Renner and I formed a plan. It was a Bold plan. It was a Daring plan. It was a plan where many things could go wrong!
Oh #$@#* we're in a heapa trouble.

The input splines need lube, the rear main seal/oil pump o-ring are seeping and need replacement. Nothing out of the ordinary. You can get the RMS when you swap out your rebuilt tranny with Renner's donor tranny.

You might also want to look at/measure your clutch plate to get an idea of when it will need replacement.

Simple solution to complex problem, no?