User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #76
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Hi All:)

This past weekend I took the bike out for a ride with Mike V and some other friends. It was pretty cold and windy in the dessert but for the most part it was beautiful out. Not being used to low bars and the more aggressive riding posture, I got home pretty sore after 200 miles. It was worth it though:)

Mike V at Vallecito Station (I think that's where this is)

The whole team on Saturday.

After the ride, I changed all the Hypoid in the bike. The final drive and Shaft fluid looked MUCH MUCH better, but the transmission fluid was still pretty yucky brown, but not frothy like last time.

the transmission drain plug

The used transmission fluid after 250 miles.

I felt the urge to fiddle, so I took off the tank poked around and installed the new throttle cables, and throttle assembly.

Then last night I took a peak inside the airbox. I have a new filter that I'll put in tonight.

The used filter after unknown miles.

That nut in the bottom of the air box is a mystery. Don't know where it came from yet... Hopefully it is not important;)

I'm trying to get a few more parts ordered and in so i can put the bike back together and take a break while I close on my new house...

Hope everyone had a good weekend:)
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #77
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,072
Good progress. Don't think of it as cold, think more as brisk and invigorating.

I don't know if this is a problem, so don't worry, but that tranny oil still looks too latte'-esque. I would have supposed it would have cleared up much more. But keep an eye on it.

That nut in the airbox? It is probably 12mm wrench size and propbably came from the lower attachment stud on the airbox covre (like just below the brether hose in your photo). Someone dropped it, it scurried under the spring metal clip on the tranny. My first guess.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

ha! Brisk and Invigorating it was (to say the least;) ).
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #79
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I had a very nice phone call from Ted Porter last night! (Best customer service I've ever had!), and we chatted about my order and added some other stuff, and talked about tires and spokes and dual discs, quite an informative conversation for me (Thanks Ted!). I'm constantly impressed by "airheads". The ones i've met have been great guys:)

After talking to Ted, instead of putting things back together, I took more apart - removing the front and top covers to see what's in there. I touch any of these mystery parts (I don't know what I'm looking at yet), but I have fun exploring and I'm sure I'll learn all about them soon;)

I also got my carb kit ordered from Bing today, and got a line on a bunch of dual disc parts... I just need to decide if I want to/should spend the money (want is easy, should is hard)...

a few pics, nothing terribly interesting i'm afraid:

Front Cover off

Top cover off

Is this (are these?) the points?

Is this the condenser?

Is this the diode board?

(be gentle, remember I'm new;) )

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #80
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
Is this (are these?) the points?
Nope. Alternator brushes. Points run off the cam shaft down at the bottom of that curvy rubber hose under the alternator

Quote:
Is this the condenser?
Yes.

Quote:
Is this the diode board?
Yes. Careful putting the front cover back on. It's possible to short out the positive terminal on the diode board and fry it. It's best for newbies to disconnect the ground on the battery before removing the front cover. Either that or be sure to pull the cover straight OUT. Don't slide it down when removing it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #81
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Yep, Ted Porter is a class act.

What AW said. I'm puzzled about the "graphite splash" around the alternator brushes and concerned about the "graphite dribble" down to the points and centrifugal advance mechanism ("ATU" some call it). Have one of your Mentors look at the points parts, and especially the rubber points hose and the sealing rubber strip 'round the points.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #82
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Yes. Careful putting the front cover back on. It's possible to short out the positive terminal on the diode board and fry it. It's best for newbies to disconnect the ground on the battery before removing the front cover. Either that or be sure to pull the cover straight OUT. Don't slide it down when removing it.
hmm. would I have noticed if i had shorted the board taking the cover off? (sparks or anything?)

thanks!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #83
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Yep, Ted Porter is a class act.

What AW said. I'm puzzled about the "graphite splash" around the alternator brushes and concerned about the "graphite dribble" down to the points and centrifugal advance mechanism ("ATU" some call it). Have one of your Mentors look at the points parts, and especially the rubber points hose and the sealing rubber strip 'round the points.
will do. I have new points coming and was going to ask for their help. Why does the "dribble" concern you? is it indicative of something horribly wrong?

Thanks!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #84
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,410
Quote:
hmm. would I have noticed if i had shorted the board taking the cover off? (sparks or anything?)

thanks!
Spencer
Yep, you'd probably notice it. You'll definitely notice that your charge light won't go out regardless of revs if the board is fried. Also that grey paint on the front of it would probably show some burn marks where it heated up. I'd say if there weren't obvious sparks and smoke, then you're probably fine. Just something to be aware of in the future. As for that graphite splashing, that could just be the result of a wet ride. The front cover does not seal out the weather perfectly.

- (also) Spencer

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #85
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
The "graphite" splash almost looks like someone tried to moly the rotor!

But I agree, probably a wet ride on a packed gravel road with puddles...
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #86
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Remember the monster cold-boot scene in "Young Fronkensteen" where Eyegor has to boink gizmos to turn them on/off? Similar.

Quote:
Why does the "dribble" concern you?
It shouldn't be as pronounced as it is. I can see a little from a road splash, but not that much. It may not be a big prob, but have it looked at. My Spidey-sense is kicking in...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #87
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Ben,

Bill brings up a good point about the rubber gasket strip for the points cavity. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace this while we're doing the complete tune-up. I believe the part number is 11141265394 for the gasket strip. I have extra ATU springs if you need them.

I also forgot to tell you to ALWAYS disconect the negative battery cable when removing the front cover (as previously mentioned). All it takes is for you to accidentally drag that cover over the diode board to ruin your day...and the diode board. Last time I replaced a diode board was in the middle of August 60 miles north of Liberal Kansas on my buddies RS. Not a fun experience with on-board tools.

Don't know what the grey matter near the brushes is, we'll have a closer look when we get together next.
ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #88
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Well I went and did it. I "ordered" a new front end for the /7. I'd been toying with the idea of upgrading to dual front disc brakes, and I contacted a local guy that deals in used Airhead parts, and lo and behold, he had everything I needed. SO! after some hemming and hawing I said yes, and I had the pleasure of meeting Larry Stonestreet today when I got the parts from him:) (Stoner's Beemer Stash) What a nice guy!

I also have a bunch more parts coming in from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop:) They had a mishap with my address so I didn't get stuff this week - next week I think:)

So right now, the bike has a bunch of parts off it, but I don't want to re-assemble until the new parts come. I spent some time cleaning today, and putting the new springs on my center stand and side stand. man, getting the new side stand spring on was a pain! I had read about using pennies and special tools, but I ended up just using some cave line and muscle:)

old side spring and new spring - it snaps up nice and solid now

Also had some mishaps today. See the bolt hole in the floor of the airbox in the pic below:

well, apparently it goes through to the transmission - true story! ;) so here I am cleaning away thinking about how awesome I am when I realized this, and realized that I had probably just contaminated the hell out of my transmission fluid with simple green. SO! I decided to drain the tranny and promptly drained my engine oil on accident. D'OH! quickly realized my mistake and drained the tranny. so the tranny is is still open to drain everything possible out, and I'll put fluid back in tomorrow. at least the grime is gone;)

Hope everyone has a great weekend:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #89
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
See the bolt hole in the floor of the airbox in the pic below:

When I looked at that bolt in a previous pic I thought, 'maybe I should mention not to remove that bolt.'

Did you ask Stoner how much for a good-used transmission?

(...just don't screw with the phillips-head screw...)

Renner screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 01:32 AM
Renner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #90
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
When I looked at that bolt in a previous pic I thought...
My first thought was "Argghh! Doesn't that hold something internal, like something on the shift mechanism?" But maybe I'm thinking four-speed or /2 trannys.

Change those inline fule filters, they look like they've been there a while, and also, drain and pull the tank and check the "filter socks" at the petcocks. They'll probably need cleaning. And plug up the petcock fittings and slosh some gas around in the tank-- there is probably sediment and dirt collected. Drain, dispose of humanely.

Lots of things still to check out on this old girl...