Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Christopher Lang OP
Luddite

Oddometer: 44
Long time no-post. I just thought I'd share my leg guard excitement!

So, I don't post too much, I lurk. Lurking is my general MO. I've been tootling around my neck of the woods on my mighty Chang, doing wild things like getting groceries, and running errands. Once it got cold, I kept riding, as I don't fear ice like I did on two wheels, but I was so cold! However, I did get a set of leg guards from a pal in China. I had hummed and hawed over this, and I love them! I'll bet you Ural guys think I'm behind the times, but man, is it novel to have warm feet and legs without wearing a hundred pairs of pants. Here's a pic I took, before taking them off to paint them.

Are any of you other fellows/gals running leg guards on your bikes? If so, I'd like to see them!

Christopher Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,908
Good on ya,old toastyknees.

Yep,I`ve got the OEM legshields on both my Urals...they`re plastic and don`t seem quite as wide as yours but they do make a difference.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Me too.

I haven't got them yet, but I'll be fitting the Ural leg shields on my BMW outfit. It's already got home made wally flaps which are great for keeping the crap off your feet and definately cut down the draughts going up yer trouser legs.

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,264
Ive got the plastic ones on my Ural. Id post a pic but cant size it any bigger than thumbnail for some reason.....
Im hoping to come across some wider metal ones one day. They make a difference for sure!
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,218
I couldn't ride up here without the leg guards. I ditched the plastic Ural shields the first Winter and bought a set of the metal Dneper guards. They are quite a bit bigger and required some custom fitting with the tin snips but they are a whole lot better for protection.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Christopher Lang OP
Luddite

Well, I figured I'd be a Johnny-Come-Lately, braggin on my guards, but I couldn't help it. I just can't believe I waited on buying them. I shoulda bought them as soon as I got the bike.

I think mine are supposed to be mounted a little more inboard, but I figured as my knees would have still been out in the powerful airstream (at 70 kph!), and I had that ridiculously huge crash guard to mount onto.... What the heck! It does make the bike look more aggressive. Like it's going to knock you down and steal your lunch money.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lang View Post
Well, I figured I'd be a Johnny-Come-Lately, braggin on my guards, but I couldn't help it. I just can't believe I waited on buying them. I shoulda bought them as soon as I got the bike.

I think mine are supposed to be mounted a little more inboard, but I figured as my knees would have still been out in the powerful airstream (at 70 kph!), and I had that ridiculously huge crash guard to mount onto.... What the heck! It does make the bike look more aggressive. Like it's going to knock you down and steal your lunch money.
Where did you guys buy them?
Its winter farkling season and I want stuff!
(Presently & Patiently waiting for my skid plate to show up...)
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Christopher Lang OP
Luddite

I got my from Beijing Ben, at http://www.sidecarpro.com/

Ben's just starting out, and he's a nice guy. I'll bet he could get ones that didn't have the characters on them. Having a Chinese bike, I really like the characters! I'm told they say "Long River"- Chang Jiang, but I might tell people they say "Ginger Beef". I got out the old can of Commie Paint (RED) and painted them. Once they dry up really hard, I'll have to knock the gloss off with some steel wool.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
DirtyDR
Dana

Bought mine from Yuri in Ohio but I don't know if he is even in business anymore. The Metal Dnepr guards are getting harder to find so you will have to shop around. There are a few pair of the plastic Ural guards on ebay right now for as low as $15.00.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Agreed. Metal or plastic they work well. Mine are plastic and will someday get metal ones. Not that the plastics don't work well cause they do. I just like metal parts over plastic. On these tractors the weight saving of plastic is a non issue.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
DirtyDR
Dana

I tore up my left guard in the sage one day so I figured since I had to replace them I would buy metal. If I had not torn up the plastic one I would still be using them.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Beijing_Ben
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Christopher - great to see the knee guards on your Chang. The red lettering really stands out and glad those toes are warm.

Its pretty cold here in Beijing at the moment so quite a few of the guys are riding with these. Two pictures below of a local ride that keeps it military green, plus another of what the product actually comprises pre. being shipped out.

Beijing_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lang View Post
I got my from Beijing Ben, at http://www.sidecarpro.com/

"Ginger Beef".
"Orange Chicken"

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,090
I've toyed with the idea of mounting a pair on my "rattle trap rat" BMW rig. Almost EBay'd some plastic ones a couple times but never did. Not sure how they'd mount since I don't have much room on the chair side.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I've toyed with the idea of mounting a pair on my "rattle trap rat" BMW rig. Almost EBay'd some plastic ones a couple times but never did. Not sure how they'd mount since I don't have much room on the chair side.
Looking at the mountings for the Ural leg guards, they mount directly to the frame, which at that point is almost the same as the BMWs. The plastic should be easily to cut with a sharp knife or tinsnips I'm sure.

I'll be getting some for my BM Hack soon. A bit of trimming and I'm confident they will work just as well as they do on the Urals.

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote