Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I would think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
But what about the avg joe that thinks (prolly cause he don't know no better) that the factory suspension is pretty good??

He's 56 YO, rides with his wife on back about half the time, doesnt race or ride like a maniac, jump, ride the Baja or Dakar, just a med pack rider, poking along on Ozark Mt forest roads. Sometimes even loaded down with gear..

What's SPS gonna do for him?? I know its better than OEM but is he gonna get a $1000 smile on his face??
I think so - as the bike won't be as jarring or as easy to unsettle when you hit the rock, ruts and gravel. Not having a death grip on the front end in the rough stuff makes the ride that much more enjoyable - not to mention a few less aches at the end of the day.
Not only that - the pillon will probably appreciate the ride improvement as well.

I bought my 990ADV used with a SuperPlush front end and it is great - and so has the SPS support been. I am a few pounds (maybe more than a few) heavier than the previous owner and they have been very helpful in tweaking the ride for me. They adjust the suspension to what you want to do. Let them know what type of riding and riding style you do and the weight that you want to carry and they will adjust thing accordingly.
My 2 cents.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
But what about the avg joe that thinks (prolly cause he don't know no better) that the factory suspension is pretty good??
That was me, sort of: now I'm fed up with a bike that rides like ubambada.

The average part hasn't changed.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
That was me, sort of: now I'm fed up with a bike that rides like ubambada.

The average part hasn't changed.
Umbambada? Is that a good or bad ride?

Thing is, I think my is pretty good now.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #34
sfevildick
Coffee Bean

Oddometer: 78
The stock shock is fair, in my opinion, just fair, about a 7. The forks are the real issue, they dive like nothing I've ever ridden, to the point where at night, on the front brakes at all, and you are BLIND as the headlight dips so low as you use up the travel real early going into a corner or avoiding something. The SPS setup will give you MUCH more control, and in my humble opinion, is a safety issue as well as a confidence issue, and under a grand for the COMPLETE treatment is well worth me not having that big crash, trust me, crashing stinks.
sfevildick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #35
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfevildick View Post
The stock shock is fair, in my opinion, just fair, about a 7. The forks are the real issue, they dive like nothing I've ever ridden, to the point where at night, on the front brakes at all, and you are BLIND as the headlight dips so low as you use up the travel real early going into a corner or avoiding something. The SPS setup will give you MUCH more control, and in my humble opinion, is a safety issue as well as a confidence issue, and under a grand for the COMPLETE treatment is well worth me not having that big crash, trust me, crashing stinks.

I've heard this from others also. I have a 07 990 S. And I've had it for a year. I wounder if my bike had a little work on the front forks from the PO. It doesnt seam to dive at all.

And yall are right, 1000 bucks is not much for good suspension. I spent over $1400 just for a rear shock on my BMW XChallange and did'nt even touch the sucky front end.

Now just gotta find time to let the bike rest for 2 or 3 weeks. Here in the Ozarks, this is our riding season, July and Aug are our down time.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Umbambada? Is that a good or bad ride?
Ubambada is a Rhode Island expression meaning essentially "shit", "crap", etc. as I understand it. A buddy from there introduced me to it & it fits perfectly the way my bike rides.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #37
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
So,when you say the stock suspension is terrible, do you mean a properly sprung and adjusted stock suspension, or rolled off the dealer floor suspension? A simple sag measurement will tell you if springs are needed and a screw driver will get you started on the other adjustments.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ubambada is a Rhode Island expression meaning essentially "shit", "crap", etc. as I understand it. A buddy from there introduced me to it & it fits perfectly the way my bike rides.

I'm no expert by any means, but I know what you mean. And that discription does not even come close to my bike.

My bikes suspension is pretty darn good, that's why I'm wondering what a SP will do for me.

If it were like you're saying your bike is, then I could understand a little more.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,909
Quote:
I'm no expert by any means, but I know what you mean. And that discription does not even come close to my bike.

My bikes suspension is pretty darn good, that's why I'm wondering what a SP will do for me.

If it were like you're saying your bike is, then I could understand a little more.
If your bike is fine, don't do anything to it. I know what you mean- I have 2 friends with 950s, and our 3 bikes felt very different from day 1. Now between us we have one person with a SPS valved front, one with SPS rear/homebrew front valving (me), and one with stock suspension (oil never changed since 2004, I think). It's interesting switching bikes. The bike with stock suspension is lacking, but it's far better than my stock suspension was- I had my clickers at full hard and the preload maxed out, and it didn't feel like it was doing anything. I had to revalve to get the fork to work for me.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #40
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:

Had I never ridden Giggity's goddamn GS, I never would have known the difference.

I've posted intermittently with various questions about suspension, and good people like Slackmeyer have patiently contributed their expertise. But--

I gave up, Zak-- I subbed it out.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,909
Quote:
Had I never ridden Giggity's goddamn GS, I never would have known the difference.

I've posted intermittently with various questions about suspension, and good people like Slackmeyer have patiently contributed their expertise. But--

I gave up, Zak-- I subbed it out.
Hey, that's cool- I think you'll probably get a better outcome. That's not meant as a slam- that's being realistic about what I did- I like that I learned a lot about suspension, and that I can keep modifying what I have, but I don't think that I did a better job than James can. I had him do my rear shock, and on my bike, that made a huge difference- that's partly because it was sprung too heavy for me, and partly because it had the wrong rebound needle in there (!!!) from the factory. It was like the rebound was adjusted all the way hard all the time.

Anyway, between the magic that he worked on the shock and the muddling I've done on the forks, the bike got a lot more enjoyable for me- it can be pushed without becoming unpredictable, and traction is much better.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
Vassily28
TheFrenchCanadian

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
So,when you say the stock suspension is terrible, do you mean a properly sprung and adjusted stock suspension, or rolled off the dealer floor suspension? A simple sag measurement will tell you if springs are needed and a screw driver will get you started on the other adjustments.
+1. When well sprung the forks are not bad (for me). But about the rear shocks, when i look at the Olhins that powercell has on his bike hummmm!!!
Vassily28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
I've heard this from others also. I have a 07 990 S. And I've had it for a year. I wounder if my bike had a little work on the front forks from the PO. It doesnt seam to dive at all.

And yall are right, 1000 bucks is not much for good suspension. I spent over $1400 just for a rear shock on my BMW XChallange and did'nt even touch the sucky front end.

Now just gotta find time to let the bike rest for 2 or 3 weeks. Here in the Ozarks, this is our riding season, July and Aug are our down time.
a new set of SXS forks before being worked on will set you back about $2500 and a new rear shock is in the $1500 to $2000 ball park.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #44
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

The box arrived yesterday.

Too damn cold in the garage to do anything about it, though.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #45
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
waiting to hear about your setup.
You sent forks and the shock, right?
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote