ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZERO View Post
waiting to hear about your setup.
You sent forks and the shock, right?
Not yet-- too cold, but all three is my intention. I'll post up my impressions when I can.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #47
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Well i got mine back last week, was excited as a little schoolgirl.

I had the front and back done with the 70kg springs for the front and kept the stock on the rear with a new spacer.

Opened the box and and saw the packing looked like not much effort was put into it, the shock was wrapped up but overlapping the lower fork leg tubes, not the place i would have put it. So i pulled a leg out and could see right away that the stickers weren't on straight, the excitement started to fade a bit. I started to look things over now, and found one of the rebound clickers wet with fork oil. Must have got some oil down the rebound adjuster tube, nice. Also found oil around the compression adjuster on the bottom of the other leg, and zero preload on one fork and 5 turns on the other. So i thought i would take the cap off and try to see if i could see anything, I got the cap off the fork tube, but the cap was so tight to the shaft i couldn't get it loose. fukit. I just put them back together and mounted um and await the thaw.

So i guess i was expecting a bit better QC... I managed not to get any oil down the tube when i put in my 56kg springs and new oil. I just must be a picky bastard , i tend to check shit out real well when it is a huge investment and on a 2 wheeled machine that goes 124 mph.

It will be a while till my bike is back together to get a ride in, lets hope the ride makes this fade from memory.

A few picks...

A little oil on the compresion adjuster, no idea why that would be wet with fork oil, and the nut on the valve looks a bit roughed up to me.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #48
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
My suspension is going to SPS today.

I'm getting the works... suspension extended from 210mm to 265mm and requesting they do what they need to make it "as good as they can make it". I have already had my front forks re-valved by Traxxion Dynamics and they are going to look at that valving (which works fairly well) and let me know how they can improve it for what I do with the bike.

I'll report back in detail how things work out here and in my Back In Black thread

Geek screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 06:38 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

A little oil on the compresion adjuster, no idea why that would be wet with fork oil, and the nut on the valve looks a bit roughed up to me.
While these are minor to non-issues, the do speak loudly to the care your parts were shown by the person/company working on them.
'Gotta make you wonder how much 'care' was given to the internal parts you can't see...

My search for a vendor to re-work my SE's suspension will now begin again...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #50
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,622
For what it's worth I had my suspension done by Superplush last December, and my forks and shock came back in pristine condition.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
For what it's worth I had my suspension done by Superplush last December, and my forks and shock came back in pristine condition.
...as did mine.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #52
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I definitely would let James know about the issues.
The oil on the rebound adjuster may be due to them indavertently out oil in the rebound tube when they refilled the fork. If that is the case - the problem may persit for a while until the oil clears out of the rebound adjuster tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Well i got mine back last week, was excited as a little schoolgirl.

I had the front and back done with the 70kg springs for the front and kept the stock on the rear with a new spacer.

Opened the box and and saw the packing looked like not much effort was put into it, the shock was wrapped up but overlapping the lower fork leg tubes, not the place i would have put it. So i pulled a leg out and could see right away that the stickers weren't on straight, the excitement started to fade a bit. I started to look things over now, and found one of the rebound clickers wet with fork oil. Must have got some oil down the rebound adjuster tube, nice. Also found oil around the compression adjuster on the bottom of the other leg, and zero preload on one fork and 5 turns on the other. So i thought i would take the cap off and try to see if i could see anything, I got the cap off the fork tube, but the cap was so tight to the shaft i couldn't get it loose. fukit. I just put them back together and mounted um and await the thaw.

So i guess i was expecting a bit better QC... I managed not to get any oil down the tube when i put in my 56kg springs and new oil. I just must be a picky bastard , i tend to check shit out real well when it is a huge investment and on a 2 wheeled machine that goes 124 mph.

It will be a while till my bike is back together to get a ride in, lets hope the ride makes this fade from memory.

A few picks...

Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 490
I also had good service from Super Plush as did one of my riding buddies. I did reset all my adjusters as standard maintenance and everything seemed readjusted to stock specs when it arrived. I changed them to the sport setting. Packaging and parts all looked clean and handled properly. Your experience certainly doesn't fit SP's reputation.

knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #54
woodchuckexc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Dusty, are you for real? My stickers werent straight! LMFAO. Maybe you should have gone with a Race Tech Gold Valve. I've heard their sticker techs are top notch. When you find the time to remove your foil hat and go for a ride I'll bet you won't have anything to cry about. I visit the SPS shop several times a week and can tell you I've never seen anything but the utmost attention to detail. Food for thought!
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #55
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 610
Happy customer here.

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #56
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
I will reluctantly tell my experience. I took my bike in for revalving front and rear last month. I booked the appointment on a Wednesday, and Zoey said they weren't busy, so it was a good time to do it. I told her what I wanted, my height, weight, my riding style and habits, the kind of soft feel I wanted. By email, Jimmy did not recommend new springs, only revalve.

I took it in on a Thursday right at opening, explained to Zoey that I wanted it back asap. She said Monday for sure, but good chance Friday afternoon, but don't hold us to it. I said fine. On Friday late afternoon I called Eric and was told they thought I was going to be gone for a week and wouldn't need it for awhile. Nothing had been done at all, and now a few others were ahead of me. I think it got done the following Wednesday.

Once home, I was checking tire pressure prior to a trip departure, I touched the front axle bolt and it moved. The cap wasn't even finger tight, it was freely spinning. Had I hit the freeway as planned, the front wheel would have come off after a couple of miles at most.

Now Jimmy did say when I picked it up that if it was still too stiff after the revalve he would swap new springs for no labor charge. Nice offer, and friendly guy. I like him. But the scheduling snafu and complete safety failure left me biting my tongue as everyone praised SPS effusively here. No doubt the valving has made a big difference, but I spent $750, I could have been killed, and I will still need replacement springs for the type of feel I wanted.

My experience with SPS may be an exception, but it was my experience. I will be replacing the springs on my own.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #57
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
I visit the SPS shop several times a week and can tell you I've never seen anything but the utmost attention to detail. Food for thought!
Sorry, but a flawed presentation of your company logo on your product isn't the "utmost attention to detail," and it's not a big confidence-builder when economic conditions scream out against the kind of discretionary spending SP relies on.

It is indeed food for thought.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
woodchuckexc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Sorry, but a flawed presentation of your company logo on your product isn't the "utmost attention to detail," and it's not a big confidence-builder when economic conditions scream out against the kind of discretionary spending SP relies on.

It is indeed food for thought.
This is why I don't frequent this site anymore. A bunch wannabes more concerned with sticker placement than performance. For those of you who would rather ride your bike than look at it Superplush is a sound bet!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
woodchuckexc OP
Studly Adventurer

Superplush, keep up the good work. Those of us who ride appreciate it! BTW the Husaberg feels really good!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
Superplush, keep up the good work. Those of us who ride appreciate it! BTW the Husaberg deals really good!
Look, O Omniscient One, I am merely proposing that if you can't get something as simple as sticker placement right, what other more complicated processes weren't done correctly?

Does that make sense?

I am not trying to knock James & SP; in fact, I have one of his shipping boxes sitting in my garage awaiting my forks & shock, and I still fully intend to use it. My point is, with the money I am looking at spending, I don't find myself particularly soothed by fork oil leakage, crooked stickers, etc.

Details are details, and if I'm working a winter's night on a drilling rig to pay for them, I expect ALL of them to be correct, not just the ones somebody else thinks are important.