Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #61
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
This definitely is not good and as you state - a safety issue. I hope you let James and Zoey know what happened.
The reason I keep bringing this up is that if they don't know there are issues - there is no way for them to know they have problems.
Both your and Dusty's experience are not what other (including me) have seen from working SPS in the recent past. We would be just as disappointed as you are if this becomes a trend withn SPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
SNIP....

Once home, I was checking tire pressure prior to a trip departure, I touched the front axle bolt and it moved. The cap wasn't even finger tight, it was freely spinning. Had I hit the freeway as planned, the front wheel would have come off after a couple of miles at most.

Now Jimmy did say when I picked it up that if it was still too stiff after the revalve he would swap new springs for no labor charge. Nice offer, and friendly guy. I like him. But the scheduling snafu and complete safety failure left me biting my tongue as everyone praised SPS effusively here. No doubt the valving has made a big difference, but I spent $750, I could have been killed, and I will still need replacement springs for the type of feel I wanted.

My experience with SPS may be an exception, but it was my experience. I will be replacing the springs on my own.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #62
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
Dusty, are you for real? My stickers werent straight! LMFAO. Maybe you should have gone with a Race Tech Gold Valve. I've heard their sticker techs are top notch. When you find the time to remove your foil hat and go for a ride I'll bet you won't have anything to cry about. I visit the SPS shop several times a week and can tell you I've never seen anything but the utmost attention to detail. Food for thought!
Humm, bashing the guy for sharing his experience.Food for thought.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #63
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
ChillLax chuck, i know they are minor issues, and i did talk to James. Me and my foil hat do have a lot of down time to get sticker placement just right... They were coming off anyways. Others people get it, if the visible exterior inspection reveals things that make ya go WTF, it makes a person wonder... Oil oozing out of my clicker for the next year doesn't excite me. I think it's obvious that i am not right around the corner from them and can't just run down to the shop.

Now i got to get back to my programs...

Dusty screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 02:29 PM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #64
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I will reluctantly tell my experience. I took my bike in for revalving front and rear last month. I booked the appointment on a Wednesday, and Zoey said they weren't busy, so it was a good time to do it. I told her what I wanted, my height, weight, my riding style and habits, the kind of soft feel I wanted. By email, Jimmy did not recommend new springs, only revalve.

I took it in on a Thursday right at opening, explained to Zoey that I wanted it back asap. She said Monday for sure, but good chance Friday afternoon, but don't hold us to it. I said fine. On Friday late afternoon I called Eric and was told they thought I was going to be gone for a week and wouldn't need it for awhile. Nothing had been done at all, and now a few others were ahead of me. I think it got done the following Wednesday.

Once home, I was checking tire pressure prior to a trip departure, I touched the front axle bolt and it moved. The cap wasn't even finger tight, it was freely spinning. Had I hit the freeway as planned, the front wheel would have come off after a couple of miles at most.

Now Jimmy did say when I picked it up that if it was still too stiff after the revalve he would swap new springs for no labor charge. Nice offer, and friendly guy. I like him. But the scheduling snafu and complete safety failure left me biting my tongue as everyone praised SPS effusively here. No doubt the valving has made a big difference, but I spent $750, I could have been killed, and I will still need replacement springs for the type of feel I wanted.

My experience with SPS may be an exception, but it was my experience. I will be replacing the springs on my own.
As others have said this is not good.. These bikes have a proper torquing procedure to get the load on the bearings and to align the calipers to the disks. Look in your owners manual for that info on replacing the front wheel.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #65
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Not to take away the importance of this, but the great thing about the 990 front axle is it has two pinch bolts on each fork leg which also clamp the axle. You're very unlikely to have just gone down the road and had a catastrophic failure, which is part of the reason why it's designed like this. It might give you some comfort some day if it should ever happen again by accident.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
This is why I don't frequent this site anymore. A bunch wannabes more concerned with sticker placement than performance. For those of you who would rather ride your bike than look at it Superplush is a sound bet!
What about the fact that the shock was shipped sitting on the lower fork tubes? Is that o.k. for him to be concerned about? Or the fact that oil went in the rebound tube? Is that o.k. not to be thrilled about? Sure the oil will work it's way out on it's own over time (and all over the bar area of the bike) but should it be there in the first place? This is not James' first set of forks (but I suspect this was a helper). I had SPS do my suspension and have been very happy with it. In fact when it arrived in the mail I was impressed with how well it was packaged for shipping from James to me.

Woodchuck, I think you are right. You are clearly superior to all of us. With that kind of attitude you don't need to frequent this site anymore.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #67
dougn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
here's my 2 cents.

SPS did my forks on my 04 950 adv. the results were very good but i didn't ride it off road much. i did ride it on a dirt road full of pot holes and washboard in Mexico. it worked well. i think springs alone would have been good.

the real test was my off road bike...an 02 husaberg.

really really good. i'm a competent old dirt bike rider....have had alot of dirt bikes and have had alot of suspension work done and this it the best suspension i have ridden. frankly i think the race tech stuff is real good too. SPS seems similar to me.

i've also had james do some off the wall custom stuff too that worked out ok.

with these shops you always run the risk of having someone do your stuff in a hurry. i detest shoddy workmanship

i think the stickers are ugly...i take em off
dougn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #68
dougn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I will reluctantly tell my experience. I took my bike in for revalving front and rear last month. I booked the appointment on a Wednesday, and Zoey said they weren't busy, so it was a good time to do it. I told her what I wanted, my height, weight, my riding style and habits, the kind of soft feel I wanted. By email, Jimmy did not recommend new springs, only revalve.

I took it in on a Thursday right at opening, explained to Zoey that I wanted it back asap. She said Monday for sure, but good chance Friday afternoon, but don't hold us to it. I said fine. On Friday late afternoon I called Eric and was told they thought I was going to be gone for a week and wouldn't need it for awhile. Nothing had been done at all, and now a few others were ahead of me. I think it got done the following Wednesday.

the cap shouldn't have been loose no excuses...

but if i understand.....you're talking about the cap on the left side....i don't think it does much. it's the pinch bolts that hold everything together
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #69
dougn
Gnarly Adventurer

BTW as long as were taking about suspension.....

it is uber critical to get the fork tubes parallel!!!!!!!

motion pro makes a guage for this purpose. bouncing on the forks or finding the free center of the axle isn't good enough because the triple clamps are likely not machined perfect and cause the fork legs to be not parallel. this will cause the forks to bind as the move down into the travel.

this can make a huge difference in the action of your forks!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
woodchuckexc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Rubber side down everyone!
woodchuckexc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #71
James Siddall
suspension guy

Oddometer: 176
Hi Dusty,
I thought when we spoke the other day I had assuaged all your concerns and I apologize that you came away unsatisfied. I don't think I properly conveyed on the phone some of the reasons for some of your dissatisfaction and I wanted to explain that a bit: often bikes come in with base valves very tight and it takes some effort to remove them; because the nuts are soft aluminum they often show wear when removal is tough. Also sometimes when internal components are rusty or contain water we coat a bit of oil on the mechanism to prevent future rust. In shipping this could have leaked up and caused seeping. I hope that explains some of the issues more clearly, but regardless I am sorry that you are unhappy. It is very important to me that you feel satisfied.

I do intend to maintain excellent quality so please do call and tell me if something is not right.

Thanks, James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Well i got mine back last week, was excited as a little schoolgirl.

I had the front and back done with the 70kg springs for the front and kept the stock on the rear with a new spacer.

Opened the box and and saw the packing looked like not much effort was put into it, the shock was wrapped up but overlapping the lower fork leg tubes, not the place i would have put it. So i pulled a leg out and could see right away that the stickers weren't on straight, the excitement started to fade a bit. I started to look things over now, and found one of the rebound clickers wet with fork oil. Must have got some oil down the rebound adjuster tube, nice. Also found oil around the compression adjuster on the bottom of the other leg, and zero preload on one fork and 5 turns on the other. So i thought i would take the cap off and try to see if i could see anything, I got the cap off the fork tube, but the cap was so tight to the shaft i couldn't get it loose. fukit. I just put them back together and mounted um and await the thaw.

So i guess i was expecting a bit better QC... I managed not to get any oil down the tube when i put in my 56kg springs and new oil. I just must be a picky bastard , i tend to check shit out real well when it is a huge investment and on a 2 wheeled machine that goes 124 mph.

It will be a while till my bike is back together to get a ride in, lets hope the ride makes this fade from memory.

A few picks...

A little oil on the compresion adjuster, no idea why that would be wet with fork oil, and the nut on the valve looks a bit roughed up to me.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
James Siddall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #72
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Also sometimes when internal components are rusty or contain water we coat a bit of oil on the mechanism to prevent future rust. In shipping this could have leaked up and caused seeping.
I must have missed this in our conversation...

If the rest of my parts get here this week i can go for a ride on Saturday, and i am sure the excitement will be back.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #73
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Siddall View Post
Hi Dusty,
I thought when we spoke the other day I had assuaged all your concerns and I apologize that you came away unsatisfied. I don't think I properly conveyed on the phone some of the reasons for some of your dissatisfaction and I wanted to explain that a bit: often bikes come in with base valves very tight and it takes some effort to remove them; because the nuts are soft aluminum they often show wear when removal is tough. Also sometimes when internal components are rusty or contain water we coat a bit of oil on the mechanism to prevent future rust. In shipping this could have leaked up and caused seeping. I hope that explains some of the issues more clearly, but regardless I am sorry that you are unhappy. It is very important to me that you feel satisfied.

I do intend to maintain excellent quality so please do call and tell me if something is not right.

Thanks, James
My 950 SM suspension is slated to arrive at my Door Tuesday

My shocks rebound adjuster was frozen when i bought the bike and i asked SPS to fix this for me during rebuild. They let me know that not only had moisture got in there and corroded the shock rebound (bike has never been off road or ridden if rain) they also found the fork rebound adjuster corroded and nearly frozen. When i spoke to them on the phone they mentioned that WP didn't lubricate these enough and that they add lubricant to the rebound ajusters to prevent them from corroding in future.

Here is to hoping my SM stuff is in great condition and ready to install.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #74
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,151
I'm in the process of getting my suspension done with SPS right now..

I called them last week and they sent me a box to ship the suspension in:

When I opened the box I was surprised by what I found:
1) instructions

2) a return shipping label - pre filled out and ready to go.. even has my address as the return address in case shipping goes awry

3) bleeder screws! How cool is that? I was sweating trying to find my stock ones as I have no idea where they are...

...so I removed my bleeders

loaded everything in the box (the foam was included as were the dividers)

...and dropped it off at UPS.

So far I'm very impressed with their attention to detail.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #75
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,376
This is great to see, and what I would have expected. It is also how my suspension was shipped back to me. Makes me kind of ashamed of the way I had packed my forks to send them in to James. Let's just say I packed and shipped in my own box...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote