ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What is the best bike for Leh - Ladakh??
Royal Enfield 350 Electra UCE 5 speed 2 22.22%
Royal Enfield 500 Machismo 3 33.33%
Some other RE (state in your post) 1 11.11%
Bajaj Pulsar 220 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Poll - Best bike for Leh / Ladakh??

OK guys - I'm getting so much divergent information about which bike is best for Leh/Ladakh that I'm going to try and post a poll - also hoping that any information gathered here might help out future members (or current ones) trying to sift through all the different opinions...

I've heard - in no particular order - that REs are the worst bikes to take because they break down so much / they are the best bikes to take because although they break down a lot there is always someone who can fix them / the Bajaj Pulsar is the best bike because they are very reliable / it might be difficult to find someone to fix the Pulsar if it DOES break down - especially in the high mountains / Avoid the Hero Honda Karizma because of the weak clutch / the HHK is a decent option / the UCE engine is more reliable than the old cast iron lump and the new right brake and left shift bikes are a LOT more reliable/ the 350 is better than the 500 / the 500 is better than the 350

As stated in previous posts - we will only have 3 weeks and this is our 'trip of a lifetime' so we really want to minimize the chance of unexpected delays and mechanical hassles. That being said we would love to do the trip on REs if we can be reasonably assured that the bikes will be able.

Rental rates for RE or Pulsar are not that much different so cost isn't really a factor.

So what do you suggest?

If you have rented from anywhere in Delhi PLEASE tell me where and what your experiences were with the bike and rental service. Right now the places we are considering are Stonehead bikes (Pulsar and RE) BullettWallas (RE) Tony Bullett Centre (RE) and further choices include what size of bike to rent. With the Pulsar we will be going with the 220 non F.I but the RE we are thinking UCE 350 Electra 5s or would we be better on the 500 Machismo? Also bare in mind that we will be carrying gear and so will require luggage racks or some way of strapping our gear to the bike.

Thanks all.

Yam
Yamahuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
It depends. If you will be 2 up get the enfield 500. If you plan to carry a lot of gear get the re 5. I've ridden a Pulsar 180 and they are fun little bikes much more fun than and enfield. They are way way lighter. Re's are neat kinda like an old indian or harley is neat. Racks & such are readily available for Enfield. I'm not sure about the pulsars. I am not sure how you'll carry extra gas on the Pulsars. I don't know the current situation for gas.

If I had 3 weeks and was prepared to go super light a pulsar would be more fun. Everybody that's doing it is on enfields. You'll get more feedback in the asia forum.

3 weeks is very little time for this mysterious land.\

good luck
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Isn't THIS the Asia forum??
Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Isn't THIS the Asia forum??
This is:

Riding / Trip Planning / Asia Pacific

There is also:

Riding / Regional forums / Asia

the latter gets quite a bit more traffic.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Also don't forget about the hubb, lot's of good info there. International touring only.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
I spent 4 months in Kashmir and Ladakh this past summer. I did my trip on Honda Karizma 220cc bike.

Here is the low down:

-RE are bad because most RE considered are the old, poorly maintained clunkers. But if you get the new design, with Fuel Injection/etc, it will be a great bike - perhaps the best bike - to do the trip on. Considering they cost about $5K, they will be expensive to rent and hard to find. But I think it is important to make this distinction between the junky old REs and the new and improved REs. They are not all the same.

-HH Karizma is not a good bike because of crappy clutch plates. I burned them out twice and it is super easy to do so. It made me hesitant in some remote places, taking away from the fun.

-It is not true that Pulsars will be harder to fix on the road than RE. In fact, you will see more of them on the roads than REs. REs - even in India - are considered more city/poser bikes with poor fuel efficiency and not that many people have them because they are not considered practical bikes. In all the bigger Northern cities, you will see a lot more Pulsars, Bajajs, etc than you will see Enfields.

-All the shops that can fix RE can also work on Pulsars/Karizmas, etc. Part availability could be an issue... but even for my rare HH Karizma, I found brake pads in Keylong, etc. Part availability is a problem everywhere - for ALL bikes - because the 'shops' that are in this region are all tiny operators that have few parts for anything.

-At the same time, when you are out of Srinigar, Leh, Manali, Kargil, do not expect to find even little shops of mediocre quality. They will not be able to fix your bike, or any bike, if something noteworthy brakes.

In summary, if you are riding two up, rent the new RE. (The one with FI that costs $5K)

If you are not riding two up, rent Pulsar 220 or even Pulsar 180. (The difference between the two is not that noticeable) It's easily the best bang for your buck.

I have ridden the Pulsar 220 quite a bit. It actually accelerates faster than HH Karizma and has higher top speed. It is also substantially cheaper. The only bad thing about the bike is that going off road, you can hit the under carriage/center stand, but it could be that the suspension was set a bit soft on this particular bike...

If you want to read about my trip and issues I ran into, check out my ride report.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Hey Witold - When you talk about the RE F.I model are you talking about the 350 cc Electra UCE engine?
They seem to have pretty good reviews compared to other RE models.

Woud a rental Pulsar be much of a better bet than a renta RE consideing that they are both rentals - both may not be very well maintained and both may have been punished?

I rented a scooter in Taiwan yesterday afternoon - probably about 10 years newer than my regular one (I had taken the train south and was trying to get around in a different city) it should have been a joy. What a bag o' shite - poor throttle response, warped discs, idle set too low, so that it stalled at the first set of lights when I braked... good job it was cheap.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Just to clarify - we are two guys - we will most definitely NOT be riding two up...
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Hey Witold - When you talk about the RE F.I model are you talking about the 350 cc Electra UCE engine?
They seem to have pretty good reviews compared to other RE models.

Woud a rental Pulsar be much of a better bet than a renta RE consideing that they are both rentals - both may not be very well maintained and both may have been punished?

I rented a scooter in Taiwan yesterday afternoon - probably about 10 years newer than my regular one (I had taken the train south and was trying to get around in a different city) it should have been a joy. What a bag o' shite - poor throttle response, warped discs, idle set too low, so that it stalled at the first set of lights when I braked... good job it was cheap.
I am specifically referencing the 500 EFI. I've met some people on the road with this bike and it seemed like it did it's job better than my Karizma at higher altitude passes. My Karizma struggled in some places (high altitude/steep). At the same time, if I was going off road - which I did - I would rather have the Karizma.

Presumably, rental places will be much more inclined to take care of their 5,000 USD investment than some $300 junkers. But then again, this is India, and most of these operators operate by Indian - not Western - standards and values. Most require unreasonably high deposits for their rentals. You always have to be vigilant in testing what you are buying/renting. Best thing to do is to have a lot of leads, but only pay the rent money when you see and inspect the goods.

Anyway, in Delhi, all the moto stuff is in one neighborhood. So you can go shop to shop and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. (or the least uncomfortable with... hehehe...)
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Right now StoneHead is offering the least deposit (10,000 per 350 RE Electra) but BulletWallas is Western owned and I'm wondering if that may be a selling feature for increased maintenance and reliability or not...They are asking 20,000 per bike and all the rental places are essentially the same price for 3 week rental for RE 350 (Stonehead / Tony Bullet / BulletWallas) or Pulsar 220 (Stonehead])
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
doniv
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Let me try and make it simple for you. But I know I might just make it more confusing for you since I differ with other opinions already expressed :)

Any Royal Enfield 350 - Avoid. Too little power to enjoy the mountains.

Here are the rest of the bikes that you shortlisted, with their pluses and minuses

RE Machismo 500 LB
+
Comfort (depends on quality of shock absorbers, though)
Good power
Decent reliability
Has the RE charm
Luggage carrying capacity

-
Reliability not as good as Karizma / P220

RE UCE 500
+
Comfort (depends on quality of shock absorbers, though)
Good power
Has the RE charm
Luggage carrying capacity

-
Low ground clearance (depending on the model)
Parts not available easily
Mechanics don't understand the bike well enough
Reliability still not as good as Karizma / P220

Karizma
+
Good power
Excellent reliability

-
Not-so-good torque for the mountains
Not as comfortable as the REs
Commuter bikish - not as charming as the REs

P220 (non-FI)
+
Good power
Great headlights
Great reliability

-
Riding position
Commuter bikish - not as charming as the REs

If you're worried about breakdowns, go with a Karizma. You won't have any issues at all. Regarding the parts, like Witold mentioned, getting parts for any bike in these regions will be a bit of a problem. That said, RE parts for the old style bikes are more readily available.

If you want to enjoy riding in the mountains and experience the charms of an old-world motorcycle, go with the RE Machismo 500 LB. Do make sure that you give the motorcycle a thorough check before hiring it. The rentals are not always in great shape.

Shout out if you need anything else.
doniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

I really appreciate your very thorough reply doniv
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Hey ColdC - sure is nice to hear from someone in support of the RE.
A couple of questions come to mind:

1: Was it a rental?
2: If so where did you rent from?
3: Of tthe bikes that you saw 'on their last legs' were they all RE or others as well?

I appreciate that everyone has different opinions regarding which bike is best but I'm also trying to gauge which rental place would have the best prepped bikes which would hopefully provide the least amount of issues.

Not being too familiar with the RE are there any obvious / easy to detect problems with them. We both know how to spot worn out tyres, chains, sprockets, oil leaks, fork seals, head bearings, swing arm bearings etc... but as far as engine problems go are there any easy to detect issues that we should look out for??

Cheers Guys
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
doniv
n00b

Oddometer: 7
In that case, just go to Lalli Singh. His rentals might be more expensive but the bikes are very well maintained.

With respect to the engine, for an untrained ear, it would be difficult to spot sounds that are okay vs sounds that are not.

The RE engines make many different sounds, many of which may sound alarming but are in fact quite normal.

Basic things to check in the engine would be compression and if there are piston slapping noises. To check the compression, just try standing on the kick lever. An engine with good compression should offer good resistance here. If the kick goes down easily, the compression is not up to the mark. You should need to use the decompression lever most of the time to decompress the engine before kicking it. The electric start on the Machismo 500 is something that can fail at any time, taking the crankcase with it. Most Machismo 500s I've come across have broken electric starters.

The piston slapping noise will make itself heard when you accelerate a little on a stationary bike. It will be a distinctly different sound from the sound of the tappets.

This link might help - http://www.60kph.com/interact/guide.htm
And now, an ADVRider too!
doniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Great advice ColdC - I've actually contacted Lalli Singh a couple of times but he has yet to reply. Hard to build up correspondence when one party refuses to correspond...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Yeah - quite honestly I can't be arsed extending myself that much to try and contact a guy who may or may not be bothered about doing business with me. So far I have had very speedy and informative reples from Tony Bullet - Stonehead and BulletWallas. Pretty sure we'll be going with one of them - now it's just a question of deciding on a bike ....