ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What is the best bike for Leh - Ladakh??
Royal Enfield 350 Electra UCE 5 speed 2 22.22%
Royal Enfield 500 Machismo 3 33.33%
Some other RE (state in your post) 1 11.11%
Bajaj Pulsar 220 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #61
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I've had my moments in snow - but usually I try to avoid it on two wheels - got caught in a snowfall once about 20 years ago on an '82 CB900F and cant say I enjoyed that ride much but have ridden quite a few times with the thermometer pushing the 0C mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

BTW, my handle is same "tsk1979" on bcmtouring too.
These two boards are an awesome resource - you've probably seen my threads over there too...
Yamahuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #62
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahuh View Post
Working on renewing my Canadian Passport right now - following that the Indian Visa will be applied for around May / June to give me plenty of time to be in and out before it expires
Get the 10 year Visa (if you can in Canada), they only cost a little more and after this trip, you'll likely be back.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #63
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

I'll take a look into it - haven't heard of it before but if the cost is right it might be a good option...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #64
doniv
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Get the 10 year Visa (if you can in Canada), they only cost a little more and after this trip, you'll likely be back.
That's for sure. Zanskar deserves to be done properly and that too before the connecting road comes up from Darcha. I'd love to do it over a month's time but 10 days (Kargil to Kargil) is also good if you just want to see the places. There are people who do it in 4 days flat from Leh to Leh but that's another story. Suru valley and Zanskar are like nothing else you've ever seen before, even in Ladakh.

If you want an idea of what's in store for you, check out my pics from last year's ride - http://on.fb.me/xnWXM5

Beware, it might just change your mind about the Ladakh trip altogether :)
And now, an ADVRider too!
doniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #65
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

NO!!

Not MORE options....

FANTASTIC pics man - BTW - are the Gata Loops on the Manali Leh Hiway South of Keylong between Damphug and Marhi?

Yamahuh screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 10:17 PM
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #66
tsk1979
4x4 wheeler

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
NO!!

Not MORE options....

FANTASTIC pics man - BTW - are the Gata Loops on the Manali Leh Hiway South of Keylong between Damphug and Marhi?
Nope. they are much much north of keylong, way beyond even Baralacha la
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #67
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Ah right - between Sarchu and Pang.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #68
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

SO - tickets booked and we will be in Delhi on September 1st
Have read that getting a SIM card can be a bit difficult and that Jammu and Kashmir have separate ones from the rest of India - can anyonme confirm which SIM gives the best coverage or if there is one that works in J&K plus Ladakh?? Also what exactly do you need to get one? In the Philippines you just buy them from convenience stores but in Taiwan and Malaysia you need a Passport / Gov documents .... same in India??
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #69
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
SIM card

Yes, there are issues. I know the procedure for citizens of India, but for you the procedure/proofs required will be different. Can let you know in a few days.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #70
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Cheers Arn - preciate the help
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #71
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
SO - tickets booked and we will be in Delhi on September 1st
Have read that getting a SIM card can be a bit difficult and that Jammu and Kashmir have separate ones from the rest of India - can anyonme confirm which SIM gives the best coverage or if there is one that works in J&K plus Ladakh?? Also what exactly do you need to get one? In the Philippines you just buy them from convenience stores but in Taiwan and Malaysia you need a Passport / Gov documents .... same in India??
In Delhi, you need an application, your photos, address to get SIM.

In Leh, tons of shops will 'rent' SIM cards to you with minimal paperwork. I'm not sure if the SIM you get in Leh only works for Ladakh or if it goes all the way to Srinigar or not.

Either way, in most places you will be riding you will have no cell towers and no reception anyway. So it's not much of an emergency tool. You basically get to use your cell when you roll into some village or town....
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #72
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

That'd be all I really want it for - calling guesthouses or to contact my mate if we get separated
Old 03-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #73
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
The documentation for non residents is as follows:
  • Submission of the standard form mentioning all your details required in the form, as well as proof of identity (passport will do fine). Photos will be required on the form.
  • A declaration on the prescribed form of being an outstation visitor - you will have to provide a local reference (with phone number) as well as a hotel/local address, with phone number (which will be verified at the time of processing the application for the SIM).

Or, simply you could beg/borrow a postpaid SIM from somebody kind enough to lend one to you on arrival

This information is from the state owned MTNL office - the procedural requirements are likely to be the same across service providers, though. The best coverage - BSNL, followed by Airtel. However BSNL has absolutely sucky equipment, it may take five tries for an incoming call to come through or go out, and as you move to another cell, your signal can vanish mysteriously, to reappear only if you manually hunt for the network.

Airtel OTOH has slightly less coverage, but - USUALLY other people can get you the first time they try and vice versa. I have both SIMS, and the difference in functionality is very clear.

Problems you are likely to face in Leh/Ladakh
  • Huge network holes so no assurance that you will be able to actually make or receive calls from wherever you are on the roads. The mountain terrain is not really signal friendly.
  • For Leh Ladakh, Kashmir, you have to have a POSTPAID SIM. Prepaid is as good as no SIM at all, it will not work. Security reasons. A prepaid SIM will start working only when you move into Himachal pradesh (South of Jispa or thereabouts) or Punjab.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #74
Yamahuh OP
Adventurer

Sounds like a complete pain in the ass. In Philippines / Borneo / Thailand etc you just walk into a convenience store or phone store and buy a SIM - stick some money on it and you're off.

Thanks for the info though Arn - I appreciate it
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #75
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Sounds like a complete pain in the ass. In Philippines / Borneo / Thailand etc you just walk into a convenience store or phone store and buy a SIM - stick some money on it and you're off.

Thanks for the info though Arn - I appreciate it
Sometimes it seems like India's only remaining sign of UK occupation is their affinity for loads and loads of bureaucratic paperwork, stamps, and copies. They love it.

They take it pretty seriously, and it's rather amusing because it's so low-tech and so low quality anyone who actually cares could circumvent it with photoshop and a cheap western quality color printer. Some of the areas have driver licenses that look even cheaper than our IDP. Do they really think that their craptastic inner line permits will stop anyone who is there to cause them harm?

But it's not too bad. It seems more overwhelming than it actually is because of options and caveats. Just like cell phone providers, coverage, and plans in the US. It will take 20 minutes, and they will do all the work and you just wait and sign. No biggie. You just have to keep in mind that as you move to Kashmir and Ladakh, your cell will not work again.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote