Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #61
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Zac,

Great job !

Pm to you.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #62
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Great. Just what I wanted when I bought a bike - political correctness, environmental noise concerns and MPG worries. Haters please turn in your man cards today and enjoy your Prius's
So I can put a nice open Mistral pipe on my Guzzi and ride around your neighborhood at night? Open Pipe Harleys are fine? After all they're just exercising their "man card" or are they compensating for a small penis, or the fact that Mommy never gave them the attention they wanted.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #63
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,956
I say we ignore Garp and maybe he will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
So I can put a nice open Mistral pipe on my Guzzi and ride around your neighborhood at night? Open Pipe Harleys are fine? After all they're just exercising their "man card" or are they compensating for a small penis, or the fact that Mommy never gave them the attention they wanted.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #64
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Back to the R1270:

Seriously, if anyone wants to come ride it, let me know. Weather here is pretty nasty, probably will be for the next couple of days, but PM or email me if you want to set something up, or just stop in.

Hoping to get some additional #'s on fuel economy for those that are curious as well as some dyno runs on camera, we'll see!
zac@maxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #65
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
wow, chill out. Have you ever HEARD an Akrapovic pipe? Unless it's different than what I've got, they are like 5 db louder than stock or something around there.

Aside from that, I agree that the question of legality is valid, if not a little bit whiny, not because I give a crap but because MaxBMW should make sure they aren't stepping on the mighty toes of the EPA

Here's something i found that was a little clearer than what you posted if anybody gives a hoot...

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...ert/defeat.pdf

It's entirely possible that this set up meets the EPA requirements but it sort of sounds like Max doesn't know for sure it is.

And my opinion of the project is it's sort of cool, but for me it's totally unnecessary. And it's not terribly hard to smoke the tire on a stock bike, so the youtube video doesn't do much for me.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #66
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
I say we ignore Garp and maybe he will go away.
Motorcycle noise is already a big issue in many New England towns, and unlike you I live and ride in CT. As Zac says we currently don't have to have bikes tested for Emissions or for Noise and I'd like to keep it that way. My bikes are stock, so I'd pass, but I just don't need the hassle of annual testing. Our neighbor state NY is already running Motorcycle only stops to check for legal exhaust, amongst other things, and the more loud bikes there are on the road the more likely it is that their practice will spread.

Dealers have a responsibility here, be they Harley dealers or BMW dealers.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #67
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
Aside from that, I agree that the question of legality is valid, if not a little bit whiny, not because I give a crap but because MaxBMW should make sure they aren't stepping on the mighty toes of the EPA
To me that is the point. If MaxBMW are going into this with their eye's open and understand the risks involved then that is their choice, but it doesn't sound as though that is the case.

I used to be in the business and I have seen what happens when the shit hits the fan, and it really isn't pretty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/au...es/11MODS.html
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #68
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,724
Quote:
Why am I concerned? Because bikes that don't meet Noise and emissions requirements DO impact me. I have to watch little kids cover their ears when I start my bike because they have been conditioned to Loud Pipes. If we don't police ourselves, somebody else will. The individual does NOT have the right to violate emissions or noise laws.

As to the section of the law being broken I'd refer you ot the EPA Clean Air Act which reads in part:
Section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act provides:

"The following acts and the causing thereof are prohibited--

(3) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device
or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or
motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this
title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate
purchaser, or for any manufacturer or dealer knowingly to
remove or render inoperative any such device or element of
design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate
purchaser."

Section 205 of the Act provides for a maximum civil penalty of
$10,000 for any person who violates Section 203(a)(3).
I've only stayed at a Holiday Inn once, but assuming that the new system complies with the regulations, where's the issue? The system was replaced, not removed or rendered inoperative.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #69
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've only stayed at a Holiday Inn once, but assuming that the new system complies with the regulations, where's the issue? The system was replaced, not removed or rendered inoperative.
If it is certified as complying, then it's not a problem at at all and their are processes for getting certification. S&S does it for some of their engines. It costs about $25K for each certification. Here's an interesting read if anyone is really interested:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/313/15...-Examined.aspx
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
If it is certified as complying, then it's not a problem at at all and their are processes for getting certification. S&S does it for some of their engines. It costs about $25K for each certification. Here's an interesting read if anyone is really interested:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/313/15...-Examined.aspx
R U gonna turn em in Garp???

Please take your tree hugging righteousness else where, thank U.

Regards, Paul
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #71
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Nicely done Zac, my hats off to you and to MAX's for supporting to the riding community and providing us with this performance upgrade!

Zac, what are your thought on the concerns listed below:

Is the drive train(xmission, clutch, fd) robust enough to handle this power increase in the long term?

Will this modification impact the warranty?

Regards, Paul
Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #72
zac@maxbmw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Nicely done Zac, my hats off to you and to MAX's for supporting to the riding community and providing us with this performance upgrade!

Zac, what are your thought on the concerns listed below:

Is the drive train(xmission, clutch, fd) robust enough to handle this power increase in the long term?

Will this modification impact the warranty?

Regards, Paul
Good questions!

Tough to say, really. We run some big bore kits in a couple of our HP2 race bikes, to my knowledge haven't had an issue. Not to say it couldn't happen, though.

Any extended time on the back wheel only (if you're big stunter that is) is bound to take more of a toll on the final drive, but in general the final drives are pretty robust if properly maintained.

As far as BMW is concerned, these modifications DO void the manufacturer warranty.
zac@maxbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #73
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac@maxbmw View Post
in general the final drives are pretty robust if properly maintained.

I guess as a dealer you have to drink the Kool-Aid.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #74
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,293
Garp: we like fast bikes, pipes, chips and all that shit. Finally, a dealer that gets it, OK - the FD comment is bullshit. Give it up.

Somebody put a pipe on Garp :)

Signed, Newt and Mitt
Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #75
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Zac, do you have any idea of what perfromance increase a remap and exhaust only upgrade will produce??

Regards, Paul