User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
03 zr7s revamp

so i picked up a wrecked for atleast the second time 03 zr7s..fairing gone tank dented and the usual scrapes and rash but its got a hefty list of new/mods and i really didnt spend anything on it..runs like a dream

i hope this is the right spot for a rebuild

heres a list of what was put on it BEFORE i got it...all of which was done around 3 months ago
coil
plugs
full fluids and filter
battery
ignitor

and before that
k&n
micron slip on
corbin seat
rear tire
front brakes
fender eliminator

its a solid platform all of the damage was very cosmetic..however trying to locate a decently priced fairing and tank i went scavenging and found some interesting plastics..are they old..probably.... but im digging the look ..ive got 80$ wrapped up in
right foot peg
full upper lower front fairings
clipons from a cbr

so not bad but ive got my work cut out for me..cleaning road rash and making the new plastics find as well as re-work and repair them..allready started on stripping paint from the old fairings...if anyone can ID the fairing bits please do

and for thos who just want to look at the pic's heres a spam of shots

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Interesting project. Keep us posted! I think it's cool when somebody brings a bike back from the brink of death like that.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

so i started making mounts last night..some of the pic's may not exactly make sense most of them are before and afters....got the whole lower fairing mounts made up and in case of the rearward mounts welded to the frame...nothing that couldnt be easily reversed....the lower fairing had to have a small section out for the exhaust in both the side and the front..just no 2 ways around it..then stripped and temp shot with castiron color...gotta wait a couple months for some heat as my shop aint heated before i can lay REAL paint
started making tie connections for the upper fairing as well as straightened the stock upper mount as i will likely be using atleast part of it

the clipons are really giving me hell with the fairing...i may either swap them again with a set that isnt "offset" forward its that forward offset thats the issue not the drop..besides there seems to be ALOT of diffent clipons even ones with more rise than the stock bars.....worst case ill go with a flat style bar

Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Excellent.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Moving this our newest forum, Some Assembly Required.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

ahh good on the move..wasnt sure if it should have been over her cause its not a full rebuild just an "add on"

nothing to spectacular today but..still steppin forward....cut and pulled the stock speedo mount back almost 2 inches to bring it inside my new fairing made up a pile of mounts most things are tacked not full welded.....i have a plan for the headlight/s just gotta get up to my main shop and pick them up

Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
looks pretty good, tail could do with a bit of shortening to match the front axle over hang
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRoot View Post
looks pretty good, tail could do with a bit of shortening to match the front axle over hang
sure "if" i could trade this corbin seat for a single corbin seat id totaly do it!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

so i made a run up to my big shop for supplys and such(nuts bolts aluminum) as well as my stashed set of headlights from a 95 diamante...they arnt actualy the full diamante headlights but once you get in past the main lens you find these lil units that take 9004-9005-9006 bulbs...(low/hi, low only, high only)...the ride was..well intresting to say the least...i expected "some" snow as i had a light dusting down here but the shop is 1500 feet up from home at 33miles away...my lil honda xl600r taking most of it in stride but the very street tires put me down..twice at very very low speed sliding down hill sideways..and fighting for traction to climb back out..add to that trying to right the bike and having the whole bike slide away as my boots try to slide out from under me...fun trip lol....

anyway the aluminum sheet will form up under the front fairing wrap over the headlight area and on up where the windshield would be...im not sure if ill even run a windshield as of yet....will see once i have the sheet in and see if i fit into it in such a way to even warrant something to see thru...the headlights i simply set into the frame to get an idea..yup they will do nicely

Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this project comes out.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

HUGE leap forward..
so i started out working with a gap fil bit of aluminum to fill the headlight area and windshield are and ran into alot of issue..but kept rolling with it...it was working untill i checked and test fit the speedo...DOH!!!!...so i lopped it off just past the first set of bolts for now..and tracked down that the fairings are for an 88 ninja 600r and found a cheep windshield off ebay...ill likely have to heat it up and put a hump in it but thats easier

some braces got added here and there..the front fairing mounts are SOLID...solid enuf to stand on..try saying that about the stock setup that was on the bike LOL.....some extra bracing down low as well to help pull th fairing offthe engine a bit more

next up..my headlights...from a 97? diamante ..they are the inner "high" beam lights ..you would never notice them unless you busted out a headlight and found them by mistake...i think they suit the front of the bike beautifuly...not to big not to small...and once i make a fill panel for them they will look perfect..i never likes the 80s ninjas and there huge single headlight....anyway i took some cues from italian car headlights being a full floating unit riding on VERY stiff springs and duplicated it so that the headlights are fully aimable

all welding ON the bike is done..so i re-connected everything up as i had dissconnected all primary things so welding couldnt damage them...once done i started bolting everything up so that i can make a count of size and length of bolts so i can swap out all the hardware that was not only missing but also the stuff ive added with allen button head type that ill pickup tommaro....so whats left to weld is the front headlight fill and 2 mounts on the tank..thats really it...fired it up and everything still checks out....now im hunting for some turn signals and mirrors..and a wait for things ordered

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
zuk16l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Awesome job! These are always my favorite threads. Subscribed.

05' SV 650
Charleston, SC
zuk16l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

so i finaly got sick of looking at that damned yellow tank....and started swapping out hardware for allen button heads.....im semi stuck waiting for stuff to show up so i rolled her out into the back yard to clean out the shop..nothing too great to see here...i did get the turn signals all wrapped up tho i am going to black out the back half of the new fronts and the front half of the rears

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

well im stuck waiting for stuff..but my lock set showed up today as well as my drag bars..god they are comfy but i want to weld in the 1 inch or so bar end+ extension that was on the old bars..in fact i NEED it on the throttle side

i shimmed the seat lock so its more "flush" mounted had to change the lock cyl on the helmet lock as the new one wouldnt fit which ment picking the old lock too..lol that was way too easy..the new ignition looks really nice ....the bars fit like a tight glove...just as the brake/clutch left hit the fairing it hits the bump stops..so...its perfection

started making a mock up headlight pan to filler out then make a mold from ...its bit me a few times ive got the grinder gouges and destroyed discs to show for it....the 4.5 inch hole saw descided NOT to cut into the sheet..even mounted on my drill press running reverse or forward made no lick of differance so i had to cut a round hole with the angle grinder useing the hole saw marks as a guide..much fun..then used some stacked wheels to make the holes bigger..as the initial hole was smaller than the size of a disc..the holes will be frenched for the look that i want

figured since i needed to check vac lines if i was going to pull the tank i may as well sync the carbs...funny story in that...several years ago when i was building the gamer bus for a friend..i helped him move up a state..while packing etc one of his room mates was also moving ..being the pack rat that i am i love helping ppl move as you tend to bring home intresting stuff...so he is like you want this thing..pointing to the motion pro sync tool..and im like well i dont ever have any plans on gettting a bike with more than 1 jug n slug let alone a crotch rocket..but sure ill give it a good home......its been sitting on my shelf in a box collecting dust for longer than i know...so i synced up the carbs they wernt that far out actualy

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

so i finished the initial "base" for the headlight cover....now KEEP IN MIND that this is NOT the final product it is something to make a MOLD from so i can make the final out of F-glass

the base metal has 2 frenched pockets for the lights ..you will note they dont go all the way around due to adjustment needs and such..so never mind that...
the body got masked up not to protect it but to keep the filler from sticking so that it will be a perfect match..well a perfect re-match to my own design...yes i did some sanding with it in place and trashed some paint..no bigy ill go back and re-temp paint the uppers and front fender once the headlight chunk is all done
3 layers of filler to get it built up enuf to sand and mold for making a revere mold and then copy out of that