Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
so my headlight panel was starting to really take shape and it was working..i was within a couple hours of having something i could make a mold from and a thin light weight replacement..

the ups man came a knocking with my windshield...and the shit hit the fan..seems i had made the entire front of the fairings almost 2 inches wider than it should be..so...it would seem i built myself into a corner..pissed off i tossed the headlight section id built over my shoulder fit the windshield up and got pissed..re-adjusted all the forward mounts and got ready to start over.....do ignore the graphic work on the windshield as its going to have to be cut for my body frame and helmet space so it WILL get painted black

pulling the front end narrower resulted in it coming forward about an inch so all new upper mountings had to be made..nothing special

while scratching my head on materials i made up a relay set and wireing harness for the new headlights

it hit me..ive worked with plastic when i was younger with model cars and such with EXTENSIVE modifications ..so joining and modding plastic is no big deal..ad i have a tap plastics inc neer by ..also eary on in the mold work i knew that a 4inch abs pipe coupler was the right depth and size to be used as headlight french tubes..so i went and grabbed a pair and hit tap for a 1foot by 1 foot chunk of abs plastic and went to town trimming gluing heating and bending....in a day i made more headway with the plastic than i did with the old setup..ahh well

when all is said and dun the plastic panel will look pretty much like the old mold i was making

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

the new headlight sections coming along nicely..the fit is great..and ive got it "mostly" trimmed down..going to need a smidge of filler but overall im loving it........the relays are tucked with a welded tab to the fairing section..and the headligths are...BRIGHT..nothing i own is this bright hell take any 3 cars i own and still not bright enuf...that said i was able to take it for a ride today ..a few rides to be exact and put about 70 miles on it... had one guy comment saying "you look like your ready for war with that thing"

Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Awesome project!

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

glad im keeping everyone entertained

in the past 2 days ive put close to 200 miles on her..theres a light howl up front..seems to be brake drag echoing into the front fender...unless someone has any other thoughts...had her into the triple digits and LOVING every second...but the front end feels a bit..unsure footed ..atleast compared to my dual sport on street tires

today she saw 60 deg sun, heavy rain, 10 miles of gravel, some snow, some mud, and a bunch of back roads and some hwy
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

far from done but she sure looks good
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #21
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Fantastic work man, I really enjoy your ratty feel, and the colour is just awesome! Is it some kind of a primer? I am currently working on something simmilar, but I have not yet reached the reassembly phase. Are you sattisfied with the light? Dont the recessed light possition interfeers with the lower lip of the opening, so you get the shadow on the floor? I am noot sure If you understand me, my english is a bit drunk :-)

cheers

a.
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

the color is engine "castiron"..admitedly i dont like the idea of a rattle can paint job but the color just WORKS....so im going to sand everything to perfection and re-shoot it since i screwed up the front fender and started patching up all the small cracks

as for the light...HA it tivals that of cars with factory HID..yes its THAT BRIGHT....i dont think i will ever need the high beam....the light cuts like a knife into the night.....i want this light on my xl600r!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

so..i got sick of the cracks and some squeeks ive been hearing so...i figured after the abusive roads i put it on as a shake down....washboard gravel roads work wonders for a HARD shake down....anyway figured id blow it apart fix and brace ever crack as well as adding some braces that imo should have been on the original plastics..as well as some body work and shoot some paint on the inner frame work..tidy up my headlight relay harness and some other odds and ends...i also added the tank mount tabs for the fairings

anyway as useual ill let the work speak

Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 771
Subscribed!
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

i keep getting these perfect nice days scattered in the rain and gloom of winter..and just go blast...

anyway...99% of the cracks are patched and filled and overall repaired...tho im not to sure this glue is going to hold ...soo....im just going to live with it for now...get in touch with a vynle cutter friend and get a few sets of custom decals made up for it..like 738 ninja(since the CC is 738 and no one really knows what it is if you say zr7s)..some of the older ninja style kanji and some additions of my own...its glossed up for now to..so i can see if i want to stay gloss or go back down to a satin...the tank is not great but its not ugly either..every last mount is done and solid

someone had suggested bar end mirrors...i took that idea and well..ran with it LOL..and i dig it

next nice day im going to go out to a sweet spot and get some GOOD shots of her....meanwhile im just going to enjoy the roads while i do a lil here and there..like replace the rear wheel and front tire...and im drafting up a cafe hump to replace the back half of the seat...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

spent the day runnin around..on the kawi..still cold but hell its been dry-ish...but ive no fear of the wet..if i did i couldnt live in oregon thats for sure...

anyway i cleaned washed waxed and more or less detailed her out...my lil bro got home and since he takes some badass shots we headed out and got some....still got some plans but..here she is..and yes...that color does match my helmet in "most" light but the generaly color can look gold, drab, brown, bronze its just kinda shifts a bit depending on the light...i love it

Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #27
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Thumb

It tourned out great, nice lines. You could duct tape all of the cracks from the inside, if you are not sure that the glue will work. Do you see anything in those mirrors?

aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 771
Looks fantastic!
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
sh0rtlife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
It tourned out great, nice lines. You could duct tape all of the cracks from the inside, if you are not sure that the glue will work. Do you see anything in those mirrors?

i do see quite a bit in those mirrors..once you get used to them..half the mirror seas thru the "gap" of my arm and my side way way back there...the other half sees right into the lanes beside me where if a car pulls into the blind spot..the nose of the car reaches the right side of my helmet at the same time the tail of it is still in the mirror..deffinatly good enuf....i like the mirros vision actualy better than the stockers on my xl600
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 677
artistic freedom and craftsmanship

Super build , easily much better looking than the stocker
Regards,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote