User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Oddometer: 6,821
1982 cb650

Scored a 1982 cb650 for $1200.00, side of the road deal.
It will be a 2 up bike for the wife and I, we seem to fit on it and the seat is nice.
Overall in good shape, no oil leaks, no smoke, runs fine, normal neglected master cylinder rust (does not work), new tires, good chain and sprockets.

Any weak points on these bikes?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Spaggy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Maybe the cam chain and adjuster. How many miles?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

10,000 miles, almost all of it in the first two years it looks like, then the bike sat.

Motor sounds very good, have not changed the oil/filter yet.
The bike runs nice, shifts nice, makes no bad noises...

Lots of checking to do, valves, battery, gas filter, spark plugs...
Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Changed the oil and filter, dirty and smelled bad, no chunks or dirt/sludge though.
Started the bike up to fill the oil filter and get an oil level reading and found it was not running quite right.
The gas was of was why, but before I noticed that I was pulling plug wires off to see if all cylinders were running.
The outside left was not, plug black and fouled.
Pulled the right outside plug and it was a different number, and had a projected tip!
It looked old and a bit dark but good overall, dpr8ea.
The fouled out one was a b8es.
I thought the bike ran quite well for 3 cylinders!
Air filter was packed solid with dirt.

Put the battery on charge (it was way low).
Waiting for parts, next up checking the valves.

Anyone know what plugs the bike takes, and what the valves are supposed to be at?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
The public library has

manuals for all the old Hondas, and a used factory manual is dirt cheap on line.
I like resurrecting ancient Hondas too, go through every step in the manual and lube everything from the swing arm bushings to the steering head balls.
A pretty good bike, I guess, but no one liked them when they were new- topheavy compared to the 550s, not a brilliant handler, not quick and sporty like the 350s. Not light either.
But like all those old fours, if you stay on the maintenance it'll treat you right.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Not sure I like the bike much, it is heavy and wide, and 4 cylinders is a real pain in the butt.

For the price, it will work as a 2 up local bike I guess, and some nice power is to be had.

Despite being quite sick, I removed all the plugs and sand blasted the fouled one, the two inner plugs were gapped very close, I opened them up to normal plug type gaps, one plug was a different kind, a projected tip and I put that in where the one plug was fouled and started the bike.
It now runs on all cylinders, and the exhaust on that side smoked like mad.
I suspect it had not run on that cylinder for years of very few miles, and needs to burn off all the crap in the head and exhaust, I only ran it for 5 minutes and it seemed to be getting less.
I checked the plug after and it looked good, not oil or gas fouled.
The idle speed was way high after getting all the cylinders running and I adjusted that down, the bike was very smooth and liked to rev easy.
I thought the power was good on 3 cylinders, with all four running and a clean air filter, the bike will be very nice indeed!

Waiting to get to the DMV for tags and title change, and the master cylinder and other parts to arrive.

Next up, tank off and valve checks/adjustment.

I did order a manual, air filter, side stand bolt, spark plugs, master cylinder rebuild kit, and an aftermarket reproduction master cylinder assembly.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Got my master cylinder assembly today, very nice aftermarket part.
After much angst, I got my old TU250 handlebars on, some of the screws in the switch gear mounting were frozen in the threaded insert parts, had to drill out one screw, run a tap through, ect.
The bars are on but do not really fit, too short and low for the cables, I need something a bit bigger in the near future.
Put fluid in the brake system and it works great.
Saturday will be dmv day and I might get to ride the bike.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Got my new spark plugs today and installed them, took the tank off and adjusted all the valves.
Most had NO play in them at all!
Routed the choke cable correctly, cleaned up the coils, put dielectric grease on all electrical connections, and replaced some rotting hoses.
Bumping the motor over to do the valve adjustment, it started!
Hardly had it turning and it fired up...

I get really worked up about people ruining things through neglect.
Its not hard to remove the gas tank and check the valves, or put the right spark plugs in the bike, or clean/replace the air filter, or change the oil.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Got my paperwork done at lunch time and put the rag on when I got home and went out for fresh gas, did about 10 miles.
The bike is fast!
A bit of a stumble with large throttle openings at lower rpm's but it runs quite well.

Anyone know how the idle mixture screws on the front (engine side) are supposed to be set?

First time the motor has been hot in a long time and it was smoking, but not from the exhaust...
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 557
1 1/2 turns out idle screws

1 1/2 turns out on idle screws I bekieve is the starting point -sounds like it runs good.

Turn the idle screws in to see where they are set. When I bought my CB1000 guy told me it was cold blooded would not run good until warmed up.

After syncing carbs with dangerous Mercury carb balancer it runs great no longer cold blooded. Also I use my infrared temp guage to compare exhaust pipe temps to make sure all 4 cylinders are firing.

. Enjoy
Old 06-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett;27017561[B
]Not sure I like the bike much, it is heavy and wide, and 4 cylinders is a real pain in the butt.[/B]

For the price, it will work as a 2 up local bike I guess, and some nice power is to be had.
I'm glad you said this because I was thinking it,I test rode one "when they were new" and compared to the CB750K I thought it was less than ideal.I bought the K model used.I do short day rides with the wife on my !982 CB900F and they are a bit cramped if your wife is a full size gal.Plus they tend to be a tad top heavy.I would get the carbs synced,valves checked and cam chain adjusted while they got the cover off.Not sure if that model has the rubber cushions in the clutch hub or not but they "can" be an issue.Don't panic about that one though.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Thanks for the info guys.
Put about 120 miles on the bike today, about 50 with my wife on, and it was very nice.
Man this bike is FAST.
I have an issue with the accelerator pump, it seems to leak and not work, so quick throttle openings have a stumble, but otherwise the bike runs very well.
I will get locked up if I ride it much.

I put low bars on it and while its cramped in the leg area, my wife says it is the most comfortable bike I have had yet.

A little oil leak at the head gasket, very small, a few other minor issues, but the suspension seemed good, its nice and smooth, does not smoke, idles nice, starts right up.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
Put about 120 miles on the bike today, about 50 with my wife on, and it was very nice.
Man this bike is FAST.
I have an issue with the accelerator pump, it seems to leak and not work, so quick throttle openings have a stumble, but otherwise the bike runs very well.
I will get locked up if I ride it much.

I put low bars on it and while its cramped in the leg area, my wife says it is the most comfortable bike I have had yet.

A little oil leak at the head gasket, very small, a few other minor issues, but the suspension seemed good, its nice and smooth, does not smoke, idles nice, starts right up.
http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html

I get my OEM Honda parts from these guys and recommend them highly.

Those valve gaskets rot out over time and it's a good time to check valves and camchains.....although I'm not super confident in the "shim in bucket" style adjusting. Does it make any "clattering" at idle then go away when you pull in the clutch? Some is normal but excessive you might want to examine the clutch hub rubber cushions.They are known to deteriorate over time or from abuse since yours has such low miles you should be pretty good.Best of luck.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
gmonsen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I bought a 79 or 80 new back in the day. I never thought if it as wide and heavy. The 900 was wide and heavy. I liked the bike a lot after trading my 450 Honda in on the 650.

G
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #15
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Screw and lock nut valves, I adjusted them somewhat, on the loose side because many had NO play in them at all.
Quiet and nice except for the valves.
Once the bike gets some use, I will go back over the valves.

Do not know about the cam chain yet, I do not seem to hear it.
I will look into things when the manual gets here.
I may eventually fix the bike up, new gaskets, carb work, cosmetic work, etc, or look for something better.
Overall the bike seems nice, its heavy, and the seat is low, but otherwise it seems to handle nice and run nice, it even sounds cool when you hammer on it.