User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,697
Norton resources

Someone has approached me to restore his 1974 850 Commando which is all there but barn fresh, having never done a British bike I'm looking for Norton forums and parts resellers. Any fans out there?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Beezer Josh
Moto-Amish

Oddometer: 1,184
One that I enjoy going to is the Britbike forum: http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Any pics of the bike?
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.accessnorton.com/norton-commando-f1.html

Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Strypes
Planting Claymore!!!

Oddometer: 464
http://www.britishonly.com/
Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
GBen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
[QUOTE=anonny;26236980having never done a British bike I'm looking for Norton forums and parts resellers. Any fans out there?[/QUOTE]

Do the owner and the bike a favor and let someone with experience fix it up, they both deserve it.
GBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Someone has approached me to restore his 1974 850 Commando which is all there but barn fresh, having never done a British bike I'm looking for Norton forums and parts resellers.
A Commando isn't horribly complicated, but getting things set up properly (e.g., isolastics, etc.) requires some experience. I'm not saying you are incapable of doing the work, but somebody with more Commando knowledge will be able to do the work more efficiently.

But if your client doesn't mind paying you to educate yourself through research and trial and error, that's cool.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBen View Post
Do the owner and the bike a favor and let someone with experience fix it up, they both deserve it.
Trust me I can do this and do it right

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Someone has approached me to restore his 1974 850 Commando which is all there but barn fresh, having never done a British bike I'm looking for Norton forums and parts resellers. Any fans out there?
Fan is bit strong but I support two Commando's.

Near all replacement parts come from Andover Norton in the UK, orders from outside the EU do not get charged the 20% VAT so that comes off those prices.
A lot of folk in the USA go through Old Britts they have been around a long time and have an excellent reputation.
When it comes to farming anything out I pretty much do not trust anyone except for this man, Norton guru Jim Comstock
He did a 750 head for me, very nice work and the rates are reasonable considering the high standard.
Do your homework or that last statement will bite you in the you know where.
There is a reason why a good many of the 50000 Commando's built ended up in barns or as landfill.

49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Yikes!
Boris Badenov fan

Oddometer: 1,419
British Standard/Whitworth wrenches, sockets, and half a dozen specialty Norton tools just to take it apart. You'll have a pretty good tool investment going before you can even start. Unless you're a vice grips kinda guy. Clymer, Haynes, and factory manuals are available, but sometimes have errors. Don't enter this thing lightly.
Yikes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,676
Just jump right in there It is hardly F1 racing technology, it is just another old bike, a frame two wheels, and a motor, the name on the tank means nothing. And if you get stuck on anything in particular, there are thousands of years of combined help at the end of the keyboard.

Have fun.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
GBen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Trust me I can do this and do it right
No thanks. The last person I would pay to "restore" a Norton is one who is running to the internet for help.

Maybe you are desperate for money enough to short-change the owner of the bike?

There is no way someone who has never "restored" a British bike before is going to do as good a job as someone who has, or who has done it for years or decades, that is just common sense.

If all the bike needs is an oil-change, new tires, a battery and cleaned, then I am sure you are going to do okay, but if you are taking the bike down to the last nut and bolt, engine and gearbox included and you have to ask people on an internet forum what to do first, then you are bullshitting us and yourself along with your poor customer.

Every machine has little eccentricities and secrets that the Google expert does not know and may never find for years or ever without hands-on experience and talking to old mechanics.

Since vintage bikes are such trendy jewelry for hipsters to own and to say they work on, the market is full of con-men and wannabees who have made the phrase "you get what you pay for" meaningless.

There is one guy in the USA who has "restored" a lot of bikes for people for tens of thousands of dollars, and he has screwed up a lot of those bikes too, but like a politician he is relentless in his self-promotion and self-delusion.

So it is pretty damn laughable for someone to first admit they have never worked on a Brit bike before to say "trust me" while they are poking around for their first clue, wow........
GBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
^ And that is why this country is going to hell. Criticism comes easy when you have no connection to the person that you're criticizing. For all you know the OP is a retired master mechanic with decades of experience, all of which transfers to the machine once he gets the necessary information for doing the job. I place more trust in someone who knows when to ask questions than I do someone who assumes that he has all the answers.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
^ And that is why this country is going to hell. Criticism comes easy when you have no connection to the person that you're criticizing. For all you know the OP is a retired master mechanic with decades of experience, all of which transfers to the machine once he gets the necessary information for doing the job. I place more trust in someone who knows when to ask questions than I do someone who assumes that he has all the answers.
I see the OP's questions were answered in three or four replies, anything else is just fluff.

Sure being a master mechanic might help you, but not when the factory workshop manual tells you to tighten the clutch hub nut to 70 ft/lbs on a Norton Commando.
Of course if you know threads you would pick that one (of many) up.

If the OP spends a night or two reading build threads on Access Norton which was mentioned already they will pick up a bit or at least get a feel of things.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBen View Post

So it is pretty damn laughable for someone to first admit they have never worked on a Brit bike before to say "trust me" while they are poking around for their first clue, wow........
I hadn't restored a 750 Laverda till I did my own nor a Kawasaki 500 or a CL 450

Glad my friend has a little more faith in me than you, just try and guess where I went for resources for those bikes?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
^
I think you might find the post you quoted hinges around one paragraph, not hard to guess who he means and I am half a world away.

Quote:
There is one guy in the USA who has "restored" a lot of bikes for people for tens of thousands of dollars, and he has screwed up a lot of those bikes too, but like a politician he is relentless in his self-promotion and self-delusion.
Yikes is on the money regarding tools though, you need a few specials.
There are plenty of folk on the Access Norton site who will help out, don;t forget to ask about 'superblends and Made in Portugal lay shaft bearings.