Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #391
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #392
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
Thanks. Your photo is excellent!

I missed it It's sold

A real bummer for me.

Thank you, I visited britbike.com and now I have ADHD ;)

No, seriously, thanks.

Anyone here have any experiences with a AJS 350cc? I read a lot that it's the preferred engine, but I can't really figure out why.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #393
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Anyone here have any experiences with a AJS 350cc? I read a lot that it's the preferred engine, but I can't really figure out why.
there is a unit construction and a non unit. which one?

Oh, maybe the unit is only a 250

jbcaddy screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 09:28 PM Reason: ??
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #394
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
That will buff right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #395
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
It did,its on eBay right now.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #396
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:

It was the preferred machine in it's day for fuel economy and longevity but that was when people rode them to work everyday in the 50's. The 350 is ridiculously slow for modern roads. My mate has a lovely condition pre unit 350, It's nice machine to ride but is just too slow for everyday riding. If you're happy to potter about then it'll be fine but personally I soon get bored with that. I had a later 250cc unit construction that was far more usable than the pre unit 350cc.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #397
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
It was the preferred machine in it's day for fuel economy and longevity but that was when people rode them to work everyday in the 50's. The 350 is ridiculously slow for modern roads. My mate has a lovely condition pre unit 350, It's nice machine to ride but is just too slow for everyday riding. If you're happy to potter about then it'll be fine but personally I soon get bored with that. I had a later 250cc unit construction that was far more usable than the pre unit 350cc.
Thank you. I've got a bike to 'race' and a bike for touring already, but in this crowded, impatient coutry, it will need to be able to at least keep up with traffic. I'll continue searching for a 500cc, shame, cause I found a really nice 350cc one.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #398
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Thank you. I've got a bike to 'race' and a bike for touring already, but in this crowded, impatient coutry, it will need to be able to at least keep up with traffic. I'll continue searching for a 500cc, shame, cause I found a really nice 350cc one.
There's nothing worse than cars a few inches behind you to spoil a ride.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #399
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I fully agree. Especial on a single cylinder machine with good engine braking...

I intend to use it on the back (and unpaved) roads, but I will need to get out of the 4th biggest town in the Netherlands first...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #400
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Yeah no kidding. - or bouncing in and out among a group, trying to get around.

A buddy of mine rode his Matchless 350 with us for 1000 miles or so in England- we did around 1400 total, all on old bikes ( I was on a borrowed 62 +/- BSA "bitsa" ).

I'd heard all the stories of my buddies riding their vintage bikes all around England and over into Europe and thought "how lovely". Well after having done it myself, I now know that it takes balls of pure steel to ride old bikes around in England- especially on the larger modern roadways- as the citizens don't put up with it too well. It's a true miracle that no one was killed. That 350 Matchless got the best gas mileage, BY FAR, of any of our bikes tho. I don't recall exactly the numbers but I remember it being astronomical. It also ran like a top the whole time.

as an aside-
We rode the Cat & The Fiddle at midnight in the fog and rain- with several of us having little or NO lights- including the guy leading, he was on a early 50s M33 with a sidecar! We were part way thru about 100 mile night-time dash from Liverpool to the small Village of Two Dales in Derbyshire. Needless to say it was QUITE exciting weaving our way over those mountains- even at 40 MPH or less....

Another "highlight" was the Dartford Crossing, with the bike I was on sputtering from a partially dis-lodged fuse as I was coming thru the tollway. Should'a seen the look on the Toll Lady's face as I was bucking, spitting, and coughing my way into her lane! Thankfully, the English don't require toll money of motorcyclists, I guess they fully understand the difficulty of getting $$$ out of your pockets on a bike. I made it thru alive and well- and we stopped along the motorway shortly after so I could re-insert the fuse. This fuse thing, and a broken kick-start return spring, were the only trouble I had with that bike in 1400 miles!

Well, I DID have some trouble in trying to adjust the rear brake- which was none too strong. Actually, I over adjusted it and it seized going thru the maze of tunnels going into Liverpool to catch the Steam Packet Ferry over to the IoM- resulting in some truly laughable moments and a BIG cloud of smoke...
But THAT is another story.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 06:13 AM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #401
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
But THAT is another story.
and we want to hear it
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #402
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
Great images

I love seeing the pictures from England. I have a 1966 Bonneville that I am preparing to ride across the U.S. in september. I also harbor fantasies of shipping it across the pond and touring parts of the country. No doubt I'm naive as hell, but I've learned that sometimes ignorance is an asset. I would love to learn what I can from anyone living there. I'll likely start a thread on ADV about my travels, assuming I'm able to undertake the trip that I'm planning.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #403
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootskipper View Post
I love seeing the pictures from England. I have a 1966 Bonneville that I am preparing to ride across the U.S. in september. I also harbor fantasies of shipping it across the pond and touring parts of the country. No doubt I'm naive as hell, but I've learned that sometimes ignorance is an asset. I would love to learn what I can from anyone living there. I'll likely start a thread on ADV about my travels, assuming I'm able to undertake the trip that I'm planning.
Never doubt that your Bonneville CAN & WILL make it- where EVER you choose to ride it. My Brit buddies ride their old bikes all OVER the place. I always thougth I couldn't really take my 79 T140 anywhere for great distances- until I saw an article about a guy who'd ridden his for 450,000 miles. Of course he'd done several re-builds and whanot. BUT the bike still made all those miles.

Shipping your bike over there to ride around England? No sweat! A buddy of mine who's 70 something brought his RE single over a couple summers back and rode 2000+ miles in the U.S. on it- fully loaded with his wife on the back! Never let the dream die. You CAN do it.
HINT:
BritBike.com is your friend here bro.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #404
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
Thanx for the encouragment

Thanx Ricochet, When I first began the project of rebuilding the bike and was thinking of the trips that I wanted to take with it, I was getting a lot of comments from my motorcycling acquaintances about how I would never want to ride that bike very far...or that I couldn't ride that bike very far because it wouldn't make it. I kept quiet about my true intentions, figuring that it would be a lot better if they read about it after the fact. Lately I have encountered some people who are much more knowledgeable about these bikes and when I've shared my plans, they have all given me the thumbs up. Naturally I'll need to know my machine and take care of it, but mostly I'm hearing that as long as I do my part, she'll get me where I want to go. I took a look at your site...great images!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #405
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,121
Re: Bikes that can't keep up with traffic, I shipped a Harley 883, which I hated, to Europe to tour and then sell it. On the autobahn in Germany, it was a total dog, 75 MPH max was all the shaking I could take, scary with cars coming down on me at twice my speed. The mirrors vibrating to the point of making it impossible to see anything behind me didn't help.

Luckily, I was able to sell it there and get rid of it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote