Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
how to stay warm on a scooter?

HI,

I need some ideas on how to stay warm on the scooter. Since the watts are on the low I can not rvn electric gear, so instead I have come with very few ideas.

The only thing I am doing now is using Hand mitts that I bough from here: I had some made for an ATV but too big, this ones look and fit good.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...and-Mitts.aspx

So what else? I know a windshield will make a difference so I will try that latter, and and!!!????

Damasovi

damasovi screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 11:00 AM Reason: better heading
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Who says you can't run an electric vest? I ran my basic Widder vest all winter on an '01 Honda Elite 50 and had no problem with it running down the battery. It kept me toasty warm during a typical Indiana winter. No clue of how many watts it pulls, though. Maybe somebody else here can fill us in on that.

For what it's worth I also ran this vest off of the lighting circuit of my XR-250R that had no battery whatsoever.

If the worry of your battery discharging keeps you awake at night plug the little bugger in--or pack a small trickle charger if you travel.

I guess I ought to mention that this vest use was on a 15 mile commute to work plus local running. Would it discharge the battery if I rode it all day? No clue. It had a backup kicker and started easily with it even in cold temps so I wasn't concerned.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,588
Try to figure out where you are loosing the most heat and do something about it. It does no good to have a really warm jacket and lose heat elsewhere. One area many riders neglect is their head & neck. A thin Balaclava that covers your head ( under a full face helmet of course) and tucks into your jacket collar makes a HUGE difference. How about your legs? Are they really warm or are you loosing heat there? Wind proof riding pants with lots of insulation underneath works best.

If you can keep most of your body warm, then blood will keep flowing to your hands and feet which tend to be the first things to feel cold.

Exercise a little and be thoroughly warmed up before you start riding. This works well on shorter rides.

Of course, when all that is not enough.....go electric. Your scooter may be able to handle the load when engine RPM is up. Most likely your battery will discharge when the engine is idleing so you may have problems if in heavy traffic where you sit a lot.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Yes you can! You can use electrics even on a scooter. I have build a personal heating belt which I carry between layers of clothing, and the heat will typically flow upward between the layers. Energy comes from a 10cel NiMH racing pack 2700Ma.
Total warming capacity is 22 watts (I use 2 heating foils that are 11 watts each) which is enough to bake you if you do not run a heattroller in the system somewhere, which is what I still have to implement. But the system in itself works at only little expense. The most expensive part was the racing pack.

Simplyred screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 02:06 PM
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
One of these?

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,941
^
Yes! When I had my Helix I bought a lap cover like from from Italy. Between that and my fake hippo hands, I was able to ride until the high 20s with no heated gear and still feel toasty.

Also, keep in mind there is also heated gear that runs from self contained rechargeable batteries. I think they last up to about 5 hours or so.

Kudos to you for riding when the weather is cold!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
La Machine
2>4

Oddometer: 59
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

Invest in a quality set on long underwear and some windproof pants/jacket, and you'll be all set. Electrics are optional.

After that, absolutely get a big windshield; the big "riot shield" on my ET4 kept me warm all winter, and even kept me dry in all but the heaviest rain.
La Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
I`ll resist the temptation to be smug about my Burgman 650 Executive with its heated seats, heated grips and fully adjustable,effective screen.

But in all honesty,decent thermal lined and windproof bike gear is all you need.

I don`t have heated clothing...and apart from on the Burgie (which I won`t really use much through the Winter anyway because of our heavily salted roads) I don`t have heated grips,or anything on any of my other bikes,not even a screen....and I ride in all weathers....and do several Winter camping rallies.

But thanks to my (admittedly pricey) Hein Gericke thermal lined Goretex gear I`m warm and dry throughout even the worst weather.

Only very occasionally in severe frosty conditions do I put some 'Hippo Hands' on my main Winter-use Ural...they do help,but my Hein Gericke Pathan gloves are okay without them to be honest.

I`ve always wondered just how much someone would suffer in misery if their heated gear packed up while miles away from their destination....and once you start using it I think you`d end up relying on it too much.

I think it better to have good gear on yourself rather than specific 'add ons' on a bike that may not be transferred from machine to machine.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
I`ve always wondered just how much someone would suffer in misery if their heated gear packed up while miles away from their destination....and once you start using it I think you`d end up relying on it too much.
Worries me, too. When I go away from home I pack the original controller for the vest (I have a waterproof unit hardwired on to the bike) along with repair items for the plugs. In ten years of use/abuse the vest has been totally reliable, though--and my buddy used it for awhile before I got it so I have no clue of how many hours use are on it.

They definitely spoil you. The medication I'm on now "thins my blood out" and I chill pretty easy. There's no way I could ride now without my vest/chaps and I even use it on those cool rainy days in the summer to break the chill. I highly recommend anyone who rides during the winter to look into electric clothing. I rode year 'round for twenty-five years before I tried them and as Tarka says now I can't live without them!!

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
If you don't have a tall windscreen, get one and ride tucked behind it. A full face helmet and a neck gator are also essential IMO if your going without electrics.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Hoseman
pushing rocks.....

Oddometer: 597
I don't mean to sound like an ass but........

Does it really get that cold in Ensenada?

Summary of monthly average temperatures and precipitation.
Month: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
High Temp. 66 68 68 70 72 73 75 77 77 75 72 66
Low Temp. 48 50 50 55 57 59 63 66 63 57 54 50
Precipitation 1.9 1.5 1.5 0.8 0.2 0 0 0 0.1 0.3 1.2 1.7
The above numbers are degrees fahrenheit and inches.

Source
Hoseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I figure our weather isn't that different. I have always been able to ride year round with a windshield, Tour master Vision pants, GP moto jacket with liner and insulted gloves.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
I don't mean to sound like an ass but........

Does it really get that cold in Ensenada?

Summary of monthly average temperatures and precipitation.
Month: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
High Temp. 66 68 68 70 72 73 75 77 77 75 72 66
Low Temp. 48 50 50 55 57 59 63 66 63 57 54 50
Precipitation 1.9 1.5 1.5 0.8 0.2 0 0 0 0.1 0.3 1.2 1.7
The above numbers are degrees fahrenheit and inches.

Source
and your point is? lol!!! yes I know COMPARE to other places it is not "cold". How ever I do ride before 7 am and after 7 pm so that means no "average" temperatures for me.

Thanks everybody for the answers so far. I have invested more time and reso
urces this winter. I have a thermal base layer that I had been buying for the last e-4 years, I think I need some good socks, because there is were I get cold the most.

The winter gear I have is what everybody has mention, the jacket, balaclava, winter gloves, pats with liners and I added
the Tall neck dickie from schampa and the hand mitts. I am missing the wind shield, next week I will go and look at them.
That blanket like is nice, I may want one, depending on price if it is not too expensive, if it is, then I still have the rain gear that can be p
ut on.

Damasovi

damasovi screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 09:01 PM
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
"and insulted gloves."

Is that like a distressed finsh on them?
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Protect against the wind!
I use rain overcoats, not only an overall (or separate jacket/throuser), but overcoats for gloves (imho very important!) and shoes too.
And of course the usual warm stuff too (perhaps ski/mountain/arctic equipment).

But in any case undercooling might be a hazard, so plan your breaks at a place which provides some shelter (fuel station, ...) where you can walk around/make gymnastic, have a warm drink ...

You might need a good helmet too. With pinlock visor is a matter of course, but perhaps you need a heated visor.
Or you take a cross helmet and ski goggles, then your face doesn't need to warm up much air in front of your eyes.
If you think you are well prepared, you can join the krystall rally (-30C is common) or something similar in Alaska.
Once there was a tv documentation about some siberian bikers who did their trip to the "cold pole" during winter times and camping in the taiga - they experienced nearly -50C.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote