Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #31
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Post deleted and moved here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=653311&page=7

klaviator screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 08:08 AM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #32
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Sorry klaviator, but your links provide claims, no statistical raw data.
I'm looking for something like

milres driven helmetet/unhelmetet
accidents helmetet/unhelmetet
injuries helmetet/unhelmetet
fatalities helmetet/unhelmetet

and in case of injuries and fatalities a comparison which parts of the body suffered helmetet/unhelmetet.

There is no doubt that a helmet _can_ be helpful!
And there is little doubt that a helmet _can_ be disadvantageous (seeing, hearing, weight, neck influence - there might be a reason why there is a HANS device).
If it is very obvious, that a helmet is always useful, there should be no need to hide the data.

alicethomas screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 06:04 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

post deleted and moved here: http://advrider.com/forums/newreply....e=1&p=15906523

klaviator screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 08:10 AM
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #34
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
hey !!! this about keeping it warm!!! ONLY, so you could open your own tread about what ever you want anywhere else.

Back to topic please

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
hey !!! this about keeping it warm!!! ONLY, so you could open your own tread about what ever you want anywhere else.

Back to topic please

Damasovi
OK, if anyone wants to continue this discussion on helmet safety, you can do it here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=653311&page=7

Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Has anyone installed a a seat heater...the element pad that goes under your seat cover? Seems like a simpler solution that electrics in clothes or hand grips. Maybe not as effective, but far cheaper. And it answers the issue about wearing clothing that's warm enough on its own.

My wife has an Audi with heated seats...and they keep my fat ass toasty warm.
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
Ok, I'm surprised. Would you please give my the link!?
I had all the statistics at one point on my old PC but I honestly have absolutely zero interest in trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm sure a bit of time on Google will turn up lots of information if you are interested.

I will say this, The one statistic that stood out over the years is that the vast majority of accident involve one or all of the following, young kids, new riders, drunk riders and high speeds. In other words, stupidity has a lot to do with it. I'm not young, I don't race around on public roads, I don't drink, I've been riding for years and I consider myself to be fairly bright.
I think I've tilted the odds as much as possibly in my favor. None of that matters if I get blind sided by some 17 year old barbie doll talking on her cell phone.. but that's the part of life I don't control.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:

Back to topic please

Damasovi
mrnoitall please read! End it!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #39
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
mrnoitall please read! End it!

Damasovi
Thanks for your opinion! I'm glad there are people like you, who feel the need to interject your thoughts. I can just imagine how difficult it might be for an "Academic" such as you, to keep silent. The irresistible urge to tell other adults, on a public forum, what to do and not to do must be a difficult cross to bare.

mrnoitall screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 10:02 PM
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

One thing I have found to help with staying warm is to wear a windbreaker over my inner layers but inside my riding jacket. It helps stop that little bit of wind that often makes it past my riding jacket. A cheap nylon windbreaker from Wal Mart or other department store will work just fine.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #41
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Check out www.scooterskirts.com for a good product. These things work very well. They are kind of expensive, so tell your family and friends to get together on one for your next birthday.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
wlkn_mn
out riding

Oddometer: 94
Scooter skirts / aprons

I was wondering if skirts or aprons were ever going to come up. Does anyone use one? I've been eyeballing a few out there, but feedback from actual users seems limited. Who has experience??

They are huge in Europe, but haven't caught on here yet. Wonder why?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #43
wlkn_mn
out riding

Oddometer: 94
Here are some links to a few...

http://www.corazzo.net/scooter-lap-apron

http://www.peakscooter.com/foulweather.html
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I do use a scooterskirt. It's very effective and does not interfere with my feet, but at first I felt like it would. After a few miles, no problem. It keeps me dry from the waist down, and it is warmer than jeans. There is a problem figuring out what to do with it when you are parked, unless you have a locking trunk. It's way too expensive to leave behind, and it's pretty weird wearing it into a store or office.

It does not flap around on the freeway at 60.

My biggest weather problem is being able to see in the rain. Wiping the faceshield really isn't to helpful. Maybe a windshield? I don't use one now.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
I ain't read thru all them posts but my take on cold weather riding [applies to scoots and cycles].

I consider my self a hardcore rider for the most part, I do ride rain, hail or shine and my bikes is my main and only source of transportation at the moment. I ride every weekend and every time possible, I only have a MC permit right now and road without a motorcycle endurement for years, but I follow them permit rules, so that means no freeway now [used to do freeway before I had permit sometimes], they take that shit SERIOUSLY out here, they suspend both MC and Auto license for 6 Months, and permit 6 months restrictions restarts after you get it back and you have to take the written test again, aside from the bike being towed for 30 days on first offense [thousands of $ to get it back!], so yea its a good ideal to follow it! But I ride 200-300+ mile days almost every weekend, and take into account this is without freeways, and never at night! Now it don't get THAT cold out here in CA, no snow, but it does get pretty cold, it'll be in the 20s a lot of mornings out here when I go riding.

For me, one part of its just saying fuck it ride, don't worry about being toasty warm.

But, there is one thing I HAVE to have when its extremely cold. Super insulated or heated gloves. I have great insulated gloves, but on EVERY damn ride, after about maybe 50-100 miles, my finger tips start getting mild frost bited, when its below 50 degrees. It sucks, after every ride I have to painfully warm them up and thaw them out in front of a radiant heater! I don't care how hard core biker you are, you have to do something about this, if its like 30 you will get frost bite after a matter of time. I just got heated gloves, but cannot use them often due to my new Shadow's battery leaking accid and not isn't good and barley useable, and the Scooter's battery being extremely weak. The Shadow you just have to charge it for like 2 hours after, the alt can handle them I know, but the battery is part of the ignition system and if drained at all don't work right. So I just save them for the real real cold days when I do need them, but when I replace that there battery I'll use them more often.

Now as for jacket, out here in CA it really don't get THAT cold. The mornings are nasty in the winter often, but my old leather Harley jacket is fine, maybe my nylon and a longsleeve shirt under and I'm set, even in 35 degrees no problem.

As for helmet, full face unless your a dumbass. I have tried wearing a half helmet, and your face will go numb when its in the 30s! Unless you have a winshield. But, with full faces, you do kind of need a ski mask neck thing or something like that on your neck, espically without a winchshield, as not only will your neck freeze, but the cold wind goes up into your helmet and will freeze your face.

Pants, jeans. Maybe something under if its exceptionally cold but usually good enough for me.

Always boots, just a pear of steel toed workboots or H-D boots, wear only boots riding or not anyways.

Come rain, I'm riding. But as I meantion in my other post, I'm sticking with scoots in the rain! No chrome to polish! But I will be riding in the rain, even just to cruise. When its pouring all day, I'll have me a rain soot, got me a nice rain pants I put over my jeans, and a rain jacket over my jacket. They keeps me nice and dry.

But, I have me the same problem as Wentwest sometimes when its raining hard and cold. Its hard to see out of your full face, espically when in town at slow speeds. A combo of fogged up and rain. And yes wiping off don't always do it, this shit inside too is part of the issue. Generally if its slow speeds, I just flip up my visor. At high speeds, its not so much a problem for the most part, just wipe it once in a while but wind keeps it decent.

A winchshielf won't be a lot better in the rain. When I bard my dad's Harley with a winchsheild, at slow speeds it was actually dangerously hard to see thru the winchsheild. At highway speeds, no problem, the wind keeps it decently seeable thru it. I remember having to pull over and wipe it off thru town though, and sitting up high to see over it.

But, I would LOVE a winchsield for other than that. Man, my Shadow 700 it sucks riding long distances without no winchshield. With a half helmet, you get hit often by little things. With a full face, 70+ MPH your neck gets very sore into the wind. And would be nice when its cold to keep the cold air down. Its just so dry out here that wearing a half you get hit by lots of dust and shit, I've been stunged by a bee too! But it hurt like a bitch, we wasn't sure if it was a rock or bee. However, full face not no exception to bees, I's had me a bee in my full face one time! But got fuckin lucky and didn't get stunged!