Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #61
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant View Post
I also leave the helmet at home on occasion to go to the local convenience store. But .... since you mention it...

Page 24 out of 26 on this study

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809715.PDF

Just think of all the lives saved if the thousands of service men and millions of civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan were wearing helmets! It sure is comforting to know that my Government is so worried about preserving life!

Here is wisdom, Completely disregard anything and everything sourced from any and all sites ending in .gov, unless of course you believe inflation is 2%, unemployment is 8% , the economy is growing, Saddam had WMDs and our commander in chief is a natural born citizen.

mrnoitall screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 06:15 AM
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #62
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
i remember that, how ironic. idiot.
He was not an idiot. His name was Indian Larry a legendary custom motorcycle builder. He died after performing a stunt. He had been riding for 45 years.

If you want a frightening statistic consider this, Your chances of eventually dieing whether you choose to wear a helmet or not is 100%!
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #63
Kb.bear
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You do realize, he is just trolling!
Kb.bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #64
diethornig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
It sure is one protective vest.. Protects you from the cold wind. Helmet?
diethornig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #65
callidore
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Neoprene is the answer

while neoprene has zero protective properties... no other gloves come close. and if it rains? laugh. they are divers gloves. the price is $12 for the 2 mm and $16 for the 3 mm, get the thick ones, unlined. liners turn inside out when you take them off.

with neoprene fisherman gloves, the dexterity allows me to pick up a dime, but it does not matter, small slits at the second joints with velcro catches allow me to pull the glove finger and bend it back to the back of the hand to keep it out of the way, exposing my fingers to fumble for credit cards at the gas pump and enter zip codes, and indicate no i do not want a car wash with that.

while all the gear works, "poly propelene thermals" under jeans and jacket keep me good till the ice forms, then im off the road anyway.

Man, I wish I could find Neoprene Half chaps to cover ankle to thigh!

all the best,
callidore
callidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
Stinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
I need some ideas on how to stay warm on the scooter. Since the watts are on the low I can not rvn electric gear, so instead I have come with very few ideas.
I worried about running electric gear off my scooter too, and dont like muffs, so have been using Keis heated inner gloves which operate on batteries:
http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/?produc...s-new-for-2011

They are somewhat chunky synthetic inner gloves, the heating elements run around the edges of the gloves (not finger tips and over the top), and a plug at the wrist. They fit decently, but are a noticeably thicker than my basic silk inner gloves. The battery pack, i think it's rated for 3 or 4 hours, and is about the size of a packet of ciggies. that goes into an inner pocket in my jacket and a wire runs down each arm, and into the gloves. Once i'd done it a few times the extra fuss becomes easier. but it is another overhead before setting off.

I've used them down to -10 degrees C, and with winter gloves over, are excellent at keeping your hands at body temperature. So yes there are options apart from wiring into the scooters electrical system.

Apart from that I keep warm the usual way: layering extremities, good fit (stops air dafts and water ingress), keeping dry, and keeping your core warm.
Stinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #67
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I've never tried a balaclava , is there such a thing as a good or bad one ?
Any info appreciated .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #68
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Any info appreciated .

TheReaper!
I have found that balaclava's make a huge difference in the cold. It's amazing how much cold you lose through your head and neck. I don't know about brands but it is important that the balaclava can be tucked into your collar to seal off air from getting on to your neck. If it's not long enough, wrap something around you neck.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #69
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Any info appreciated .

TheReaper!
I never ride without one. Ive used them for years. This is my all time favourite which works for both summer and winter. http://www.schampa.com/Schampa_Warms...p/blclv004.htm Also its thin so it wont affect the fit of your helmet. I tuck it into my collar and in the spring/summer it protects my neck from the sun and bee stings. With care and hand washing the Shampa will last years and keep your helmet from turning to stink. You know the DOT sticker on the back actually means "De Odor of Turds".

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote