User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
So Where is the Vibration Coming From?

I have a brand new Husky TR650 Terra and there is a front wheel bounce beginning at around 60 and very definite at 70 up. I had the front (and rear) spin balanced and the tech identified a small out of round in the front rim, I'm guessing at the weld. I'ts small though, probably 1mm or so, but much less than the 2mm "out of spec" noted in my TE630 manual. It seems that something this small wouldn't affect the tire that much. I've had bent rims that the tire just bridged over with no bounce on the road. Tires are Metzler Saharas, new of course. I'll have to get a dial indicator to check the rim for sure as I just used a bent wire to check it today. Could there be a problem with the Saharas?

Maybe this could be an excuse to upgrade my rims to Excel Takasagos, and a different front tire, but really, this thing should be smoooth on the road right now.

Blaise W screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:36 PM
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,472
On my last set of Anakees, I felt vibration in the same speed range. It disappeared above 80mph. I thought the tire was out of round, but upon a real close inspection, I noticed the tire was mounted slightly off to one side - that is, it was mounted slightly off center, creating an oval (about 1-1.5mm off).
Since I thought the tire was out of round (which it wasn't), I already bought a set of TKC80 to replace the Anakees. Now I have vibration no matter what the speed

Check your tire marks against the rim at multiple locations. It may be just that. If so, deflate, break the bead, center tire and reinflate. Problem solved. By the way, my tire checked out on a digital ballancer - not sure of the speed they check it at, but it wasn't enough to notice the high speed issue.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Interesting, and a great tip. Since I didn't mount the tires, I never looked to see if the bead seated correctly all around. I will check asap.

Update from the garage: the bead appears to be seated evenly, BUT.... when I clamped a wire in my vice and put the end on the centerline of the tire, I found a 2mm difference between high and low. No "bump", high and low evenly distributed around thier respective halves of the circumference. So, either I have an out of round tire, or the seating isn't right after all. I'm not sure what Metzler's warranty sez, but Michelin calls for no more than 1.3 mm out of round. Tomorrow I'll break the tire down, lube the bead well, and re-seat. A 2mm difference would sure show up at high speed. Hope it is the seating, and not the tire. My dealer is 600 miles away!

Blaise W screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 10:27 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,285
Try a static balance yourself. Remove the calipers from the front wheel and spin (jack up wheel in air first duh!).
Should stop at different spots, mark with tape. I just put a new front Shinko on and it works great for me!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Hope it is the seating, and not the tire. My dealer is 600 miles away!
It could also be a bad rim - have you had that problem before? Any sizeable impacts recently?

600 miles - a great excuse for a ride :)

I had a dealer mount the Anakee and so I brought it back to them. The tire was not out of round, just seated not too well and slightly off center. At 80mph, every little difference will show up.

Generally, I let go off my handlebars every now and then when riding at various speeds, just to notice exactly this kind of issue. Funny, while the TKC80 vibrates considerable more than the Anakee did, my bars stay level. With the Anakee, the handlebar would bounce up and down as soon as I let go off the handlebars and the bike started slowing down. That's where it was most noticeable - front bearing the weight of the bike upon de-acceleration.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

'Found the problem, and fixed it, I think. Test ride later today. I set up my vice and pointer on the center of the tire again this morning and the high spot was right were my balancing tech said it was. The tire had an almost 2 mm bump. I just tightened the spokes across that area and now the tire is round. Simple and easy fix!

Thanks for all the input. I'm still thinking of having Woody's lace up some new Takasagos for me; they would be a nice addition.