Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Talking XS1100 Brat bike build (was I don't keep secrets I got a new(to me) bike)

So my roommate has been egging me to get a street bike so I can go ride with him on his CB500.

After casually cruising cl I found this for $500 a few blocks away. the speedo cable is disconnected and one blinker doesn't work but no matter, all that crap is coming off anyway.

Threw a set of pro tapers on it off my partially disassembled RM and like the ergos much better. They or something similar will stay. I'm leaning away from a cafe or bobber build but want to do something sexy and simple. Not sure what yet.

If anyone would like the windscreen from it PM me, I'll never use it and it is in good shape. Looks like it'd go on just about any bike. Price is a donation to a land use organization of your choice and amount.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Eaten Dirt
Oilfield Trash

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
So my roommate has been egging me to get a street bike so I can go ride with him on his CB500.

After casually cruising cl I found this for $500 a few blocks away. the speedo cable is disconnected and one blinker doesn't work but no matter, all that crap is coming off anyway.

Threw a set of pro tapers on it off my partially disassembled RM and like the ergos much better. They or something similar will stay. I'm leaning away from a cafe or bobber build but want to do something sexy and simple. Not sure what yet.

If anyone would like the windscreen from it PM me, I'll never use it and it is in good shape. Looks like it'd go on just about any bike. Price is a donation to a land use organization of your choice and amount.
awsome, looks much better with pro tapers. wear a helmet
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,329
Looks like an 80's model XS11 special?

If so, they are a great bike, bullitproof motors. Congrats!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Looks like an 80's model XS11 special?

If so, they are a great bike, bullitproof motors. Congrats!
yes sir, 1979 says the title, XS1100 special. good to hear they have a good reputation. anything I should be watching out for?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:

Cool !

Might need to get a skidplate before you run the ST below Pinion tomorrow
Brainless_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless_1 View Post
Cool !

Might need to get a skidplate before you run the ST below Pinion tomorrow
Haha, this bike will see dirt, be sure of that.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
yes sir, 1979 says the title, XS1100 special. good to hear they have a good reputation. anything I should be watching out for?
The motors are pretty bulletproof. The only problem we ever saw was the wires that come off the pickup coils would sometimes seperate (due to flex) inside the sheathing causing it to drop 2 cyls. The system is mechanical and they flex everytime as the advance comes in. Not a big issue though, most of the effected units were replaced pretty early on. The replacments had wires with a rubber coating.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The motors are pretty bulletproof. The only problem we ever saw was the wires that come off the pickup coils would sometimes seperate (due to flex) inside the sheathing causing it to drop 2 cyls. The system is mechanical and they flex everytime as the advance comes in. Not a big issue though, most of the effected units were replaced pretty early on. The replacments had wires with a rubber coating.
I'll take a peek when I get in there. It seems to be running a bit rich right now and there are a couple oil leaks so some poking around will ensue shortly.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
I rode a 1980 XS1100sj for 18 years....great bike, pretty bulletproof....

Front forks could use a brace over the fender....they're a bit loose otherwise.
Rubber carb boots cracked out pretty badly over time.

One of the first shaft drive, big moto's....a bit of drive lash as I recall ...... but if you ride it often, you'll adapt easily....

Fond memories of that bike, none digital or I'd post my wife, pregnant with our 23 yo son.........perched on the bike....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
papa_j
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Cb750

These are pictures of a 1979 CB750 I used to ride around Albuquerque.

I got in this cycle of let it rot. Rebuild it. Let it rot. Rebuild it. Well three cycles into it I sold it to a friend.
papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
ReadyorNot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
cars & trucks,.....
ReadyorNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
These are pictures of a 1979 CB750 I used to ride around Albuquerque.

I got in this cycle of let it rot. Rebuild it. Let it rot. Rebuild it. Well three cycles into it I sold it to a friend.
Dang man that thing is pretty boss, love the Big Daddy theme!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyorNot
cars & trucks,.....
too true, but it is the deer who really scare me.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
So you're the one responsible for this snow? I first thought it was Dadodirt, but now I'm suspecting you are the guilty party!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
So you're the one responsible for this snow? I first thought it was Dadodirt, but now I'm suspecting you are the guilty party!
You know, it's unfortunate but we really needed some moisture didn't we

Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well there goes the neighborhood

Got rid of some stuff

Yep, thems the guts.

Fit and trim

Mocking up

Commence Phase Bravo...