Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #121
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
If you could persuade him to even do a few posts here, even one or two posts know and one or two right before next year's Dakar, it would go a long way in drumming up fervent support among the Rallye Tragic. Obviously we already like and support him, but for a tiny, tiny bit of effort he could dramatically magnify his U.S. support.
That would be awesome. I think Quinn (and the unfortunately AWOL in the future Jonah, and Bill) are all guys that were sadly missing from this year's race.
Sadly because -like Ned- I get the impression that they are fantastic ambassadors of the sport as people

Good points by Jaybo and Packmule, I would suggest waiting for Ted's book to come out as well, I
think it is going to open up a a can of worms (in every good sense of the phrase) as to what inmates
will want to be let in on during the race (The "Inside the Helmet" factor. Good term)

The US market really needs the exposure right now, seeing as the usual contenders (Spain, Portugal, France Italy)
are all heading for financial melt-down, and taking into consideration that 99% of the Dakar are the privateers (something
the money-grabbing ASO would have us forget), it would only be a good thing for North American riders.

just my 0.02€

Brodovitch screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 04:39 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #122
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Folks interested in the logistics of coverage, DO NOT miss this interview with Ben Constanduros, voice and producer on the Official ASO dakar video feed...

===============================

(Editor's note: THANK YOU, Ben, for taking the time to speak with us. As an "amateur" journo, having the opportunity to speak with the professionals like yourself, Toby Moody, and others is as much a treat as speaking with the competitors. Cheers!)

(Photo credit: benconstanduros.com)

We get an insider's look "behind the curtain" where the ASO produces the video feed for the Dakar Rally with Ben Constanduros. If you've ever marveled at the stunning images from the rally, you'll be amazed by the logistics required to get them worldwide in a matter of hours from a race day that spans hundreds of kilometers. If you've ever been frustrated by what's been show (or hasn't been shown), insight, too, on that. Thanks, Ben! Hardcore Rallye Tragics, don't miss this one. Many of your coverage and media related questions, answered.

You can follow Ben on twitter @BenConsty, or check out his site and blog at http://benconstanduros.com/blog

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/12D26.mp3

Blog excerpt: http://benconstanduros.com/blog/dakar-review
Quote:
"So to the programme and it was quite a change over the 2011 edition. You may or may not remember I was quite vocal about the way we worked, and I am pleased to say that the 2012 edition was a totally different, enjoyable experience. We knocked out some amazing shows with the editors working wonders and Alex and Seb doing the lions share of the hard work for the creative input of the show. I am really proud and excited how we can move the new format forward. For those who I guided with my voice for the last few weeks I hope you enjoyed it.
Being the Voice is big responsibility for a show like the Dakar. We put a huge amount of effort into the drama of it, the editor’s craft around my voice and Seb and I try to choose appropriate words to set the scene. Everytime you talk you should be going with the mood, not interrupting it, in fact words are rarely needed on some of the more epic features. In the resume’s you need to be clear and concise to tell the story and inform the viewer. We prepare a second by second, word by word script so its simple job to replicate how the bosses want it to be done….’Previously in the Bikes……Adventure Continues…..etc’ were not my choice of words but wanted by the director.
I was quite vocal on twitter about the UK voice of the Dakar….I am passionate about my job and motorsport and when you throw your heart and soul into something its hard to take that another person is ‘ruining’ it. Having communicated with Carlton over the final few days to help him with the script and give him a clearer idea of how we were working, I would say he was doing the job pretty well by the end….except for the obvious ‘Well, Yes’s’! after 3 hours sleep, my rant on twitter was totally uncalled for and pretty inappropriate, not to mention unprofessional toward Eurosport, Carlton and the UK team.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #123
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Folks interested in the logistics of coverage, DO NOT miss this interview with Ben Constanduros, voice and producer on the Official ASO dakar video feed...
Thank you for this. Brought back some memories for me (I worked for ACTV/ESPN for America's Cup)--so many of the same issues. Especially the feed part

Thank you again!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #124
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,933
Very nice podcast PM and Ben!! Great information!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #125
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Love the F5irehose and all that goes with it. What we had this year (and in years gone past) has been great.

I would like to see an English version of the http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/dakar/

Even though I can hardly understand a word they say I like the hour long shows with their studio panel with guests and their in the field reporting as well as the official ASO feed.

Either a TV show or a web show or a panel of experts radio show would be good. It is a matter of organising it all making it commercially viable though. But then again the rtve guys seem to do it OK.

The Rally Radio call ins are great. If there was a way of getting all the Go-Pro footage off the riders and edited and uploaded quicker........

We also need a few more French speaking and Spanish speaking inmates to translate for us.

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #126
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Thanks for the input!

Yep, RTVE has great coverage, shame that my Spanish sucks. And they're the state-owned TV station, so they have accordingly deep pockets and get the official video feed (actually Ben told us in his interview above that they have to be ready by afternoon so that RTVE can go live at 8 PM).

A big +1 on the French inmates. We got tons of great info way earlier than any English speaking media this year by getting breaking news translated from Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian and Dutch members. There's a big hole when it comes to French coverage on ADV, though. It's obviously mostly a language thing

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #127
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:

===============================

(Editor's note: THANK YOU, Ben, for taking the time to speak with us. As an "amateur" journo, having the opportunity to speak with the professionals like yourself, Toby Moody, and others is as much a treat as speaking with the competitors. Cheers!)

(Photo credit: benconstanduros.com)

We get an insider's look "behind the curtain" where the ASO produces the video feed for the Dakar Rally with Ben Constanduros. If you've ever marveled at the stunning images from the rally, you'll be amazed by the logistics required to get them worldwide in a matter of hours from a race day that spans hundreds of kilometers. If you've ever been frustrated by what's been show (or hasn't been shown), insight, too, on that. Thanks, Ben! Hardcore Rallye Tragics, don't miss this one. Many of your coverage and media related questions, answered.

You can follow Ben on twitter @BenConsty, or check out his site and blog at http://benconstanduros.com/blog

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/12D26.mp3

Blog excerpt: http://benconstanduros.com/blog/dakar-review

This stuff is amazing, real nice to have this perspective and really helps wrap your head around what it takes for us to get the footage we do.
Hopefully some folk that constantly complain about the coverage will read and listen to this.

But someone please tweet him that Dakar is in fact a city not a country
oooh and that that bike on the dune is #187
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #128
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthduro View Post
but someone please tweet him that dakar is in fact a city not a country
oooh and that that bike on the dune is #187
Quote:
@benconsty

@rallyraidreview @rallyraidio well well well, turns out i was wrong, it was @tobiasyounger on that dune. Great screen grab!

It took master doyle only minutes to prove the case.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #129
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

It took master doyle only minutes to prove the case.

haha
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 AM   #130
paulk46
Katoom

Oddometer: 220
note to Carlton the Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickldo View Post
Love the F5irehose and all that goes with it. What we had this year (and in years gone past) has been great.

I would like to see an English version of the http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/dakar/

Even though I can hardly understand a word they say I like the hour long shows with their studio panel with guests and their in the field reporting as well as the official ASO feed.

Either a TV show or a web show or a panel of experts radio show would be good. It is a matter of organising it all making it commercially viable though. But then again the rtve guys seem to do it OK.

The Rally Radio call ins are great. If there was a way of getting all the Go-Pro footage off the riders and edited and uploaded quicker........

We also need a few more French speaking and Spanish speaking inmates to translate for us.
what about it Carlton, Toby,yourself,an ex-Dakar rider ( please not Charlie Boreperson) in the studio with an 1hr long daily show, oh yes alright you can cover the cars n trucks for 10 mins. who do we write to,

KTM 950 Adventure (05)
I'm not lost, just never been here before
paulk46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #131
PackMule OP
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk46 View Post
what about it Carlton, Toby,yourself,an ex-Dakar rider ( please not Charlie Boreperson) in the studio with an 1hr long daily show, oh yes alright you can cover the cars n trucks for 10 mins. who do we write to,

Did anyone (Dread?) get Carlton his F5 shirt yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickldo View Post

I very seriously thought about doing a live "radio maray" type panel radio show. I think the technology exists to do it in a reasonable fashion. What I couldn't solve, though, is how to do that without gutting the live coverage here. I just can't focus on having a conversation (let alone facilitating a multi-participant roundtable) while scouring the web for updates and posting to the threads. I've had some skype chats with various F5'ers while coverage was running and it was challenging, so say the least.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #132
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:

Did anyone (Dread?) get Carlton his F5 shirt yet?
I think it was one of the first ones Hayduke shipped off. I don't know how long it takes to get to England, though, or if Carlton received it yet.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #133
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
I just can't focus on having a conversation (let alone facilitating a multi-participant roundtable) while scouring the web for updates and posting to the threads.
I can tell you that's impossible I have pretended to have a conversation with my wife and I have pretended to facilitate multi-participant roundtables (receiving friends for dinner) while scouring the web for updates and posting to the threads and it didn't work. At all.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #134
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
I can tell you that's impossible I have pretended to have a conversation with my wife and I have pretended to facilitate multi-participant roundtables (receiving friends for dinner) while scouring the web for updates and posting to the threads and it didn't work. At all.
+1

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #135
PackMule OP
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I think it was one of the first ones Hayduke shipped off. I don't know how long it takes to get to England, though, or if Carlton received it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Pyndon '13